KNEE PROBLEMS

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had meniscus repair about two years ago,  Pain was much relieved but is now worse than before.  Doctor mentioned that I might need a 'top-up' of lubrication at some stage.  What does this entail and will it solve my problems?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

An injection of some sort directly into the joint. Not an unusual proceedure if , in the mind of the Dr it will a work. Relief varies from person to person as does the length of time. Its not a cure but , depending on the condition, can be a big help. Not particularly painful but somewhat uncomfortable at the moment. There are several different types of products used and number of injections required run from one to three
  • Posted

OFG has explained it well. My first set of injections kept me comfortable for almost 2 years. Subsequent shots lasted less each time until it was time for a TKR. Certainly worth doing.
    • Posted

Larry, my Dr explained it this way. It's a lubricant that mimics synovial fluid but also helps the synovium produce more of its own fluid. These were the Supartz (?spelling) injections. They worked the best early on for me. My Dr also gives cortisone at the same time to help calm things down. I also had the one time shot that's fairly new, wish I could remember the name, but at that point it was time for a new knee so it didn't do much.
    • Posted

Cheers Deborah that sounds just the ticket as I don't want another arthroscopy
    • Posted

Was it synvisk one? I think someone on here mentioned it several weeks ago. The original was a mandated 3 injection series and at least in my part of the world, is used sparingly as it's expensive and insurance companies want good documentation there will be a high percentage chance of success. I was denied the option as a poor to no chance of help. It's compounded from the cockscomb of a chicken as I understand.
  • Posted

yes both ofg and deborah are right !!! i would go for the injection you might get alot out of it ,most of us on here probably have been down the road your on ,i know i have i now have two new knees ,but dont let that worry you ,my advice would be if you need to have injection then do so .also it would be a good idea to try and build up the muscles in your thighs as they support your knee ,good luck to you  dont think of knee replacements till way down the line if you can
    • Posted

I asked if i could have something like that done when I saw the doctor 2 weeks ago.

1 or 2 years comfort from an injection would be great

I've had an mri done and seen the physio who gave me some stretches to do and said my cartilage is ok after the meniscus op.

My quad muscled definitely need building up.

• Posted

hi larry some can get 1-2yrs from injection ,i myself never got that long i got between 6-9mths after the 1st one ,but after that one i got less every time after the last one before i went and looked into tkr i only got 2days out of that injection  i would go to the gym to build up quads get a program from gym trainer to get the best possible result ,. good luck to you i hope you get those muscles stronger
    • Posted

Thanks for that linda.

since I've started doing the stretches the physio gave me, I've stopped getting that catching feeling.

I thought that catching was my cartilage but now I've found out its the knee cap being misaligned

How old were you when you started having bother with them??

• Posted

i started having trouble with my knees in my early 50s i was 53 when i had cartilage op, it only worked for a very short time ,at 55 i had bi lateral tkr ,one was succesful ,the other was trouble from the start surgeon broke my tibia while putting in tkr ,3mths later had to get it opened up again because of broken cement ,all this time the bend was very bad and last year i had revision of that knee im still not right and i will always have a problem with that knee i think im never going to be pain free but its not as bad as it was and the leg is more stable  .     misalignment of any part of the knee will give alot of pain it is one reason why i had a revision my tkr was misalighned  and kneecap had to be resurfaced
    • Posted

What did you think when you were told you needed a TKR??

I thought, when i had my hip resurfacing in 2008 that it was the end of it but I now think I'll end up having both knees and my other hip done.

I'm the same age as you and would love to retire early but I can't afford it

• Posted

when i went back to my doctor after my last injection which didnt take any effect ,he told me that he could do no more for me ,he said that once the injections stop working then its the end of the road .i was stunned to be honest and i felt surely there is something else i was shell shocked ,he told  tkr would be the best option .the one thing i would say to you is if you do decide to go ahead with tkr please consider not to get the two done together this is only my opinion because if something goes wrong with one of the knees you literly do not have a leg to stand on . on having to stay working ! well ive been lucky there as im not working but my husband had his hip done almost 3 yrs ago and is in dire need of his knee been done as he has a bow in the leg because of the knee stuck in a bent state ,i scared him  because of what happened to me ,since he had the hip done he went back to work for awhile but struggled as his job is construction and since last year he has not been able to return he will be 59 in december ,it would depend what type of job you do as to decide if it will impact on your ability to work ,
    • Posted

Bl##do hell, both of you have had replacements, that's unlucky.my wife keeps assuring me her joints are catching mine up hahahaha

I'm on my feet all day and my knee gets sore if i don't take anti inflammatorit's.

There are loads of middle age men limping about the factory I work in.

Having said that, I've heard too much sitting is bad for your back.

What did you do for a living, linda??

• Posted

im just a housewife,   i mind my granddaughter 3 days a week,   being on your feet all day is hard on your knees especialy if your standing in the one spot , like they say dont sit to long and dont stand to long and keep weight down seems to be the order of the day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.