Knee problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I guess I have a question I'm going in for manipulation of my knee because my knee won't Bend. So I guess I have this question how much pain will I be in after they get done doing this? Also I have a question for some reason once my knee AKA my other knee I should say is bent it feels like it gets stuck when I try to bend it back so I have to massage it to bend it back cuz it hurts. Any ideas on what might be the problem? I think it might be my Meniscus again I've torn it twice now.

1 like, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, have they done an MRI done on your knee to check there is no debris in the knee? I apparently have lock knee, can't bend or straighten it. I certainly wouldn't want any manipulation on it the physio trying to bend or straighten it is enough. Also ask if you can have gas and air whilst having the procedure.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Mike I too maybe looking at manipulation as my knee is very swollen and won't bend. Very painful. So I'm hoping to get some information from your question. Good luck to you
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi mike, I've just had an MUA done yesterday, it was done under general anaesthetic. I was up found physio after only 2hrs. It was very painful last night but now its only painful when exercising. My bend was only 68 before surgery but went to 90 in physio. I wasn't taking any pain relief but have had to start taking them regularly on the advice of my consultant for at least 2wks.I'm pleased I had it done as my knee doesn't feel as tight and walking around today is much easier.

Hope this helps with the concerns you have x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So I had it done today. Knee is still very tight pain meds are helping alot. I am bending it it a little more. I hope it works for me. I start PT tomorrow for 14 days 5 days a week extreme PT. We shall see. Thank you for your reply.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glynis I too am possibly looking a mua. I also am 68 after po 3 1/2 weeks. I have tried to work it and doing pt 3 X's week. But wasn't gaining anything. I'm pretty discouraged right now. Pt people worked so hard trying to bend it. Many times being brought to tears. I go to my drs on friday and will know more then. Good luck to you.. How long ago was your surgery?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi linked, my surgery was done on 6th Jan so that makes me 14 wks post op. Had MUA on Tuesday under general anaesthetic and as soon as I woke up I could feel a difference in my knee. Before the MUA my bend was only at 68 but two hrs after it was 90, so I'm well pleased. I have a lot more pain today but no where near what I had before. Please don't worry if you need to have this procedure done compared to the TKR it's a walk in the park lol, good luck and let me know how you get on xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Had physio today and must say I'm really pleased with how it went.

Bend was 90 when I went in and was 98 when I came out, took my

pain relief an hour before but I'm ready for my next lot as the pain

is starting to kick in, got my leg elevated and ice pack on the knee,

it's sheer bliss xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm somewhat relieved after reading your post. Altho I'm doing exercises at home and pt 3 X's a week and it's only been 4 wks (tomorrow) I can feel the loss of movement daily. It's scary to me. I don't want to end up stiff legged. Thank you for your encouragement and good luck to you
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glynis how are you doing? I'm having MUA April 27th. I'm hoping to feel relief. I'm still doing pt. 3 X's a week. They are still working on my bend. I measured 65 yesterday. Not good at all. Just wondered how you are feeling? Take care and be well....
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi linlee, I'm doing good. Still got a lot of pain on the outside of knee but they warned me about that. I've also got a lot of bruising that's come out but they also told me that would happen.

Good luck for your procedure on the 27th, please let me know how you get on and thanks for caring

Glynis x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Can you feel a difference in your bending? Mine right now feels like I have an ace bandage wrapped really tight on my knee and can't bend it when I try. And is very painful
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have one more question hoping someone can help me with. I'm 4 weeks po. Since day 1 at the hospital I have this pain in the back of my upper thigh. If I sit in a chair, ride in a car the edge of the seat goes right across the back of my upper thigh. Within minutes I'm in a lot of pain. Burning pain shooting down my leg. And it stays until I can get up and walk around. I've been told my dr put a turnicut on top of thigh during the surgery. I had lumps there but pt massaged them out. It's discouraging because every time I get in the car I end up in pain. Of course the old stand by answer from Dr is it'll take time. Has anyone else experienced this?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi linlee, I had the same pain in my thigh and was told it was where I had a tourniquet, the pain lasted for about 6 wks, but I still don't sit properly on that thigh, as for the bend after the MUA it is amazing how different my bend is. I'm not gonna say it's easy but it's better than before, hope this answers your question xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All manipulation is is putting you to sleep, so that your body is relaxed, and then the surgeon bends your knee. To do so whilst you are awake would be too painful, plus you yourself will be tensed up (they would have done this after the initial surgery). And yes it can be painful after as your muscles will be complaining, take painkillers, you should find you can do your exercises once your muscles have been kickstarted. Your other knee is complaining because it is taking on more strain than usual, use this opportunity to work on those muscles as well.  If there is nothing structurally wrong, you will notice a difference
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up