Knee problems after op

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi 

I had a partial replacement knee op in May 2017, everything was going fine because I could walk with no pain which was such a relief.  I went back to work in an office and now am experiencing pain when I walk not excruciating like pre op however pain.  Anyone else had these issues.  I don't see my consultant until next May.  Well fed up 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you went back to work too soon.  Six months (give or take a bit) is about right for most people.  Some try it earlier and get away with it...others not.  Those who have problems report pain, swelling and sleepless nights only having to get up the next day and do it again.  Yes, they get past it but it's a struggle...one they could have avoided by giving their knee more time to heal.

There is no magic formula and everyone is different.  That said, pain and swelling every day on returning to work is a sign you went back too soon.  Then again, it depends on a lot of other factors: ROM achieved, post-PT exercising to strengthen your atrophied quads, glutes and core, the type of work you do (sitting at a desk or running around the ER as a nurse), age, weight, etc..  There are so many possibilities here that make it all so very individual.  If you are doing desk work, you MUST get up every 30 minutes and move.  Just sitting there will stiffen the knee and cause pain.  This will decrease if you do more of your ROM exercises at home and hit the gym to strengthen everything else that supports the knee.  If you haven't done this, your new knee is taking 100% of the pressure on that leg instead of being helped by the surrounding muscles.  Result: pain.

Most who experience this, have a routine of icing, elevation and early bedtimes to counteract the effects brought on by working in whatever job you do.  Add OTC anti-inflammatories and some topical Voltaren Gel.  The more pounding activity, the more stress on the knee.  The more sedentary activity, the more stiffness and possible ROM regression.  This is definitely not uncommon for those who choose to go back to work earlier than the knee was ready for.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is only four months since op... I think some mild pain is not unusual. All the soft tissues and bone still healing. Good advice from Chico. ..

I am just over six months TKR. I get mild pain sometimes but it doesn't bother me because I have my life back, however I can appreciate people will have different expectations. Mine was simply to be more mobile, be free to do what I love in life, and not have extreme pain, so I am happy. If someone expected to be completely pain free, then disappointment may come into things. But hang in there, exercise, use pain relief if need be and resolve to stay positive. On going exercises are very important. Hope you feel better soon.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are probably experiencing a bad case of "over doing". One of the easiest things to do is take it slow when you know you have won the battle. Take a couple steps back. If you have to work all day make sure you sit all evening and get to bed early. Ice and elevate during the day when you can. Sometimes the body takes over when the brain isn't doing its part to make sure you're doing things properly. Now's the time to take the famous "2 steps back". You never know when this knee surgery rehab is going to jump up and bite you sure in the a**. Happens to most of us in one form or another.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi AEC,

?You don't say at what point in your timeline you went back to work. I basically agree with the other contributors but I had a partial knee replacement (right knee medial compartment) and I simply focussed on resting, doing my prescribed exercises, elevating, resting and icing. I never walked without crutches until week 8 when my surgeon said I could get off them and drive my car again. 3 weeks later I went back to work driving a bus. Quite good really considering when driving my right knee was working accelerator and brake. Just 'cos you are in an office doesn't mean you are fit for work. 

?For your information, following surgery I saw my surgeon at the 8 week mark, he certified me fit to drive a bus at 11 weeks, he then saw me again at 16 week mark, then again at 52 weeks. 

If your surgeon is going 52 weeks post op before he sees you again he is obviously being very tardy, very mean with his care and time. Doing it softly, softly, catchee monkee as I did has meant I have had a gradual and perfect recovery with no setbacks and am now normal, my op was in early Nov 2015.

?Good luck.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi ! I had partial May 2016 . Went back to work at 4 weeks .  I sit and stand / walk both all day . It was very difficult for the several weeks going back .I basically got home and crashed on the couch from exhaustion and had pain / swelling every day . I iced and elevated every night and at work whenever I could . 

Probably you are just doing too much . I understand about needing to get back to work . Not everyone can be off for 6 months or more .  Just try ice and elevate and rest as much as you can . 

It was around 4 months where I really felt I turned a corner with the pain and swelling . Even now at 16 months if I do to much ( walking , working out etc) I have some swelling issues and will rest and ice . Don't know if that's all normal or not but that is my new knee at its finest . Still best thing I did , got my life back . I'll take the minor occasional setbacks .

Lots of good advice on here . It helped me enormously throughout . Chico has many great posts .I still refer to them at times as needed .

Take care ! 

Debbie 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up