Knee replaced 6 days ago."

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have now had both knees replaced. However, this has been a different journey. Main concerns are inability to leg raise. However, on advice from forum, if I raise heel,with toes from other foot then the leg raises are great. Don't know why? There is no numbness and able to move toes. Now getting a lot of bruising 6 days posts op?  Not easy to get knee bend, hard work. Any shared experiences will help. Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rob

I had posted on here about the heel to toe moving the TKR leg. I discovered it after about a week of being unable to move mine also. It works like a charm and without pain.You are only 6 days out and have a lot of swelling so your bend won't come along until your swelling goes down. I am 2 months out and still have inflammation as my knee is very hot. Doc said it could take up to 6 months. My bend is 132 and I am happy with that. When the inflammation goes out I will get a bit more of a bend.  Keep icing and elevating regularly in tthe next month. Spoil yourself and rest rest rest. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance.  The heel to toe works a treat when lying flat. I'm finding physio advice confusing. Constant working and exercising. They didn't ice knee in hospital. Not their way! Sitting on table gives me good knee bend. Lots easier than dragging knee. I will continue lots of icing and thank you for your support.

Robert

• Posted

Hi, all sounds pretty normal. I found using medical ice packs, those blue plastic ones you put in the freezer, helped a lot. Alternate prescribed exercises with half an hour of having the leg up and ice packed on the sofa really helped. The swelling can take weeks to gradually go down. As it does the knee moves easier. A Good bending exercise is to sit on a chair with a tiled or smooth  floor (not carpet) and put a plastic bag under your foot (it makes for easier sliding) slowly try bending the knee, using your other leg to hook in front and pull it back. Slow, regular work is the key. then ice pack after. Hope this helps. Cheers Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul. Thanks for the advice. Will do the bag slide. Am using lots of ice. They wouldn't use it in hospital which I find odd. I get better bend if sat on table. It's all frustrating,  but it's all patience and reassurance.  
  • Posted

Hi Rob, It is strange the variances that occur with diferrent people having diferrent problems after the same operation. I like you found the physio guy would say to do something and after years of not having a problem it doesn't do it. I couldn't raise my leg for about 3 weeks after the operation. I  ended up talking to it and raising the good leg to show it how it is supposed to happen (I blamed the drugs for my strange behaviour), however all to no avail when it is ready, it decides when it is time to move. There was a couple of other exercises that took a little while to happen as well, it is worse for you because it sounds like your first TKR went very smoothly and this one is a slightly diferrent experience, also like you I was bruised on the back of leg from toes to the top of my thigh but the bruising went in about 8 days . Anyway if you have come through one TKR with good end results you shouldn't have a problem with the second. I wish you good progress and keep us posted. Regards Paul.
    • Posted

Hi Paul  Your right I am comparing both ops, but no two are alike. As you suggested lift off will happen when the leg is ready. I am using regular ice packs. Bruising in time will fade. It's taken a few days to come out I also have lower limb swelling which will go. I constantly wear the embolism stocking supplied. Sleeping is a challenge. I'm getting compensatory back pains as I try to find a good sleep position. Presently awake till 4 am  Luckily my wife had no probs with sleep. Oh for the joys of TKR I remain positive and thanks for your support.

Robert

• Posted

Hi Butthillrob,

i am 3 months post op and still have swelling and even a little bruising. The two exercises that helped with my bend are: the foot slide as mentioned before, but using a skateboard under your foot and a belt tied around my ankle and hold the end and pull. The other one is with your bad foot on the bottom step, rock backwards and forwards until you can make it to a full lunge for the bend.  Of course the exercise bike works but in time.

Everything in time, don't worry or overdo things, your knee needs to heal.

Right now I found that rest was the most important thing.

Caz - 13weeks post TKR Perth Australia

• Posted

Hi Caz, Thanks for your comments. It's always reassuring to,share and know that we're all in the same boat. All the various health professionals can never prepare you enough for the variable outcomes that are heading my way. It really is good to share with the forum. The physios insist on keeping up 3 sets of regular exercises. Or it could be further surgery. I struggled to get a 90 bend in hospital. My knee was so swollen it looked like a football stuck to it. They weren't interested in that. They never iced it. I'm home and using regular ice. A combination of ice, exercise and mental strength. But, oh boy I'd love a good nights sleep.

Robert

• Posted

I couldn't get a 90 degree bend in hospital due to swelling. I got so upset after 5 days that I asked the physio to force it just to get out. Even then, the best I got was 80. They let me out, but the swelling was so bad that the next day At home, I couldn't bend it at all. It took weeks to get to 90, I think it was in my 5th week. That was after I got so upset with the physio visits that my husband took me away to a country hotel to get away from them!

My whole leg was swollen, even my ankle, I called it my Sumo leg.

Icing and elevating is the way to go. I also massaged it a lot, to break down the scar tissue.

Keep your chin up, it will get better, it has to!

Caz

• Posted

Hi Caz. It is an emotional roller coaster. Expectation takes over then reality kicks on . My first TKR 5 yrs ago was a doddle in comparison. That's my problem. But as you say elevation and ice is the best route. The keg won't lift as yet. But Paul settled my mind as he had the same experience. Eventually his raised in time. He's also given me some great tips. Been doing the stairs squat. Get more bend that way and also sitting on table with dangling legs. Easier to force them back. Will suggest the country hotel treatment to my wife! Thanks for your support

Robert

• Posted

My doctor got married this Christmas, so she was not there on Tuesday when I needed another prescription. The new doctor changed my meds and yesterday was truly the most painful day yet. Like you say, roller coaster. Or as Springsteen, one step up and two steps back.

My plan B yesterday, if the pain didn't stop, worked - I got completely p*ssed and didn't care! Best night sleep! Bad headache today though

Caz

• Posted

Choose a hotel without stairs and with lovely gardens for your walks each day. I live in Western Australia or you could go to the same one!

Caz

• Posted

Love to. Alas we are in Manchester UK and as yet still got stitches in. Crying out for a shower
    • Posted

Hi Paul. How are you? I'm pleased to report we have lift off. Day 11 And my leg raise has got,their. Odd,twinges on the outer side of knee, but that's all soft issue damage and will,settle. Even managing better sleep which is all positive. Just about coping with paracetamols, codeine and naproxen. Can't tolerate tramadol. Gp can't give me anything else. At what point would you be expecting to,be safe to go onto exercise bike? Need to work on bend which at mo is so tough. Still awaiting physio dates. Stitches out on Friday so that will also help. Thanks for invaluable help thus far

Robert

• Posted

hi rob ... it was my first TKR so EVERYTHING was new and scary.  my operated leg didn't move an inch off the bed for 3 weeks!  but my physio told me to keep talking to it, giving commands in my head to do it, do it with my other leg to show it.  nothing.  then i got home from rehab (we get that here in switzerland) and within 24 hours it was moving ever so slightly.  and every day it got better.  personally i used a towel hooked around the bottom of my foot to lever my leg on and off the bed but was delighted when i could do it myself.  little successes!

remember, a lot of nerves were damaged.  we need to coax them back to life.  little by little.

• Posted

Thanks for your reassurance. I can raise leg with the kick starting advice from the forum of alternate leg toes to heel and magic it lifts. However, I have to help my leg up and down most times with my hands.  I am confident and your comments confirm that in time the leg will get there.

Robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.