Knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am now 5 weeks post op after a TNR. Everything seems to be going well and the pain from the arthritis is now gone which is great. The only difficulty I seem to find is I can not stand for any length of time before it aches quite badly. Am I expecting too much and should be patient and let time take its course.

thanks

Jane

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, glad 2 hear the majority of ur pain has gone 😊 5 wks isn't really very long taking in2 account what u've just been thru with ur op, it will get better as time goes by & I'm sure u'll notice the difference urself as u go along? Don't overdo things as this will only set u back, take ur time & listen 2 what ur body tells u, if a certain excercise causes u pain & discomfort ease up on that excercise 4 a bit, it's just a matter of gritting ur teeth & doing the best that ur body will allow u 2 do? Keep smiling & good luck 😃
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks post op today.  I, too, suffer from aching. Icing helps a lot, but it still returns quickly. First thing in the morning I feel the knee is back to square 1 which I find really frustrating.  Religiously exercising.  Was a bit slow off the mark.  Thought it would all happen on its own. What an idiot.  Consultant and nursing staff did their bit and the rest is up to me now.  Eventually managed the elusive 90 degree bend at physio yesterday.  Was getting more than a little paranoid about achieving it and dreaded manipulation.  This is all going to take a long time to recover from and I must admit I have at times found the whole thing traumatic.

• Posted

Hi.

I also suffer with the aching after standing. My doc examined me and said I have excess fluid in the leg. She prescribed diuretics (flurosemide) which have relieved the problem dramatically. My physio also recommended gentle upward massage on the affected area so I do that on waking (preferably before weight bearing). Hope this is of some help for you. Take care and good luck.

Debbie.

• Posted

Hi Jane, Sounds like you are doing very well. I'm 11 weeks post op and much of my pain has now gone but the muscles of the leg are still a bit weak. Big event this week! Managed to get enough bend and now I can ride my bike! Follow the advice others have given and you'll be fine.

John B

• Posted

Jane, it takes time I do hair for a living so I know about standing, I just recently have been able to stand for longer periods of time. Do not push yourself too much just do as much as you can. Do your exercise it takes about 3 months. Surgery is so worth it.  I just feel zapped of energy and maybe it's coincidence of timing and something unrelated my nightly walks have resumed. Not as far as I used to I'm too exhausted to do much.  
  • Posted

Hi Jane

So glad to hear you have felt immediate relief.  Early days and I am sure as time goes on and physio is in place things will get easier. Don"t forget you have a big piece of metal to carry around so the muscles need time to build up.  Well done

• Posted

Hi Jane

Yes, completely normal. I found that I couldn't stand and have a conversation for any length of time, I would move to a seat wherever possible. I think it was like that for about 10 weeks. Too much time standing also cursed numbness down the outside of the leg but that goes too. Glad you're doing fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.