Knee Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have been told today that i need both knees replaced has any body got some advice for me?

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'd be tempted to say "Run Away"...But that's probably not an option! smile

But seriously, if it needs doing it needs doing, that's an inescapable certainty.  They don't do it for the fun of it.

I'd have a read through all the various threads on here, and if you've got something specific that's bugging you...ask away....You'll always get some good advice.

• Posted

Listen to the advice you've been given!  Have they recommended having them both done at the same time?  I had mine done 6 months apart and am pleased I had the replacements.  If you are in pain, struggling walking and carrying out everyday tasks, go for it!  Even if it takes a while to recuperate, knee replacements are well worth it.

• Posted

That's so good to hear Polly 

at the moment I'm struggling with the recovery from my TKR but reading your words is really encouraging

thanks

at least I know it will be worth it in the end 

• Posted

Do as you're advised and be patient, it really is worth it!  Good Luck!

• Posted

1. Have them done sooner rather than later - don't try to put it off because "they're not that bad yet..." 

2. Take the option of spinal anaesthesia when it is offered. If you don't want to know what is going on they will sedate you - but you will recover and mobilise faster and easier than with GA.

3. Do the physio EXACTLY as you are told to. And if told "Don't do ..." - DON'T DO IT.

• Posted

Really good advice Eileen 

I had spinal block and sedation ...I slept right through it... 

• Posted

Agree Jean I was so worried about the anasthetic and I wanted to be totally out of it but there was no option I was told they only offer spinal,but it was brilliant and no hazy after effects either.
  • Posted

Oh thats a lot to take in Alan,stay on this forum I am sure others have been there, I found this forum invaluable,good luck lad.
  • Posted

Well, you've certainly come to the right place for advice!

Suggest you have a good read round the forum and then ask away.

I had my first TKR in June and the second one will be March, 2015.

With the wealth of information we can provide, doubt there's a question we can't answer.

• Posted

Hi alan, I can only repeat what the others have said but after reading a lot of the posts before my op I was terrified and felt like opting out. Pete put me right though and so glad he did. After 8 weeks I'm not there yet but I'm a heck of a lot better than before the op.It won't get better on it's own, only worse, so be positive, be determined and find out as much as you can before the op.
    • Posted

If you're reading Alan...I'll send you the link as a private message...you'll need to type it directly into your browser, as on here, it doesn't come up as a clickable link
  • Posted

One at a time, plenty of healing time between. Lots of communication with the docs concerning pain abatement and therapy schedule. Like everyone will tell you, this isn't a stroll in the park on a beautiful spring day. This is intense, painful, mentally exhausting and emotionally draining but after several months you'll forget about how much pain you are in today and how much better life can be. Just run through the posts and you'll get a snapshot of life in modetately fast lane. Where are you? There may someone on here that knows your local hospital an their routine's
  • Posted

Take the advice of those who've had 2 done as to whether to have them done together. If you're not happy with your quality of life now and are prepared to work hard for at least 6 months after the op then go for it. I've still got some way to go before I'm happy with my knee but don't regret having it done. Jen (16 weeks post op) 
  • Posted

hi alan ... excellent advice on here already and keep reading all the threads as there is a wealth of information on here.  also, whatever you read, remember that every knee is different so every outcome is different too.  i say this only because i have had a tough time of it but you will also read about people who were pain free after 3 weeks.  err on the safe side and think you will be somewhere in the middle!

the only thing i would say is: don't have both done at the same time.  it is a MAJOR operation with unknown immediate outcome and you need ALL your energy just for one.  do not underestimate the emotional aspect even if your surgeon will probably never mention it.  mine didn't!!  and feel free to come back here once you have had it done, this site is invaluable.

britta - 9.3 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.