Knee replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi I was wondering if anybody else is still having pain in the knee after 13 wks, I can walk but not too far and when I stand up it takes me a couple of minutes to get moving cos I get this sharp pain in my knee ,I've had an X-ray and all is fine but standing up and walking straight away is a no no .  Is there anyone on here having similar discomforts.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Absolutely ! I am only 10 weeks post op but some days, if it weren't for my scar, I would not believe I'd had the op as the pain is almost the same as before the op plus locking and grinding still ! All I get told is it early days still and it can take up to a year before I start feeling the benefits !!

• Posted

That's how I feel , and that's exactly  what I got told in clinic ,not much help when it hurts so much. I just feel at the moment why did I have it done as it hurts like crazy.
  • Posted

Hi 

I'm having exactly the same issue and I'm at 20 weeks now.  I can't get my leg fully straight.  It's not helped by the fact that I sit at a desk all day (in my home office).  This als happened with my previous knee, and I ended up having a manipulation U dear General anaesthetic, which was a godsend to be honest.

• Posted

So true, I'm 11 weeks and am still wondering what on earth possessed me to agree to having this done. And now in the cold weather the other knee is horrific so I don't think I will ever feel the benefit, lol, still positive thinking eh, lol chin up 
  • Posted

Yes it is normal! Sadly that is exactly how the knee recovers. I am 13 weeks and I still have to "warm up" my knee often when I get up from sitting awhile and there is pain but not all the time anymore and the pain is not always in the same place. Over time it is reducing but it still makes me impatient and sometimes I wonder if something is wrong inside it. The surgeon says all is fine and the xrays agree. However, and this is interesting and exciting (!), I also work out 5 days a week in the pool, am biking with the recumbent bike AND walking the dog between 3-5 kms. Each day! Sooooooooo my advice is simple: do not give in to the pain; warm that knee up with motion and DO stuff. Ice it when you need, take some meds to lose the edge of it but DO NOT just sit around. You will be happy you did. I will be cycling in Mexico in 3 weeks (that will be 16 weeks post op) that is my goal! Last TKR (11 months ago) I did a kayak trip (with portaging) at 4 months. When you work toward goals like these you recover. I am no super human but if I could do it so can you. Hang in there; it gets a LOT better!

Mary (55 and not ready for the recliner)

• Posted

Hey MCanada, sounds like your doing great!

hows the church pew exercise coming? I been doing it twice a day now since last week. Not sure how to measure the progress of it but I'm sure my knee bends much better than it did last week. I have physio tomorrow and will get the numbers then.

I didnt know you went kayaking. When I go out tripping I take a canoe because I find them easier to carry on the portages and you need to constantly pack and unpack them. If I go to stay in 1 main area and do day trips from there, I always take the kayak and enjoy paddling them much more for a variety of reasons. Just thinking about it gets me all excited again. Those trips are right around the corner!

• Posted

Wow Mary, what an inspiration, good luck with the trip to Mexico !
    • Posted

Hi Peter, Thanks for the hello! The church pew exercise has been tough to do for 2 minutes at a time so I am doing shorter periods until it is easier. I am not yet straight in that leg so it makes a difference. Interestingly my first TKR is benefiting from the exercise too by improving my balance. As feeling comes back to my 3 month old knee I am sure I will be able to report more. As to the kayaking: I canoe tripped all over northern Saskatchewan with a buddy and a tent for trips of up to 100 miles at a time (10 days relaxed or 5 days insane paddling) in the 70's to the 90's lamenting knee and back issues and building a really strong right arm and then I paddled my first kayak. Within a few months I sold the canoe and bought one. I have never looked back! I own a folbot double that is soft-sided and packable and 10.5 foot Molded plastic single that I take for shorter trips. I haven't roughed it for about a decade as I have a camper and access to remote cabins. In my 50's I have gotten a bit soft! Lol
    • Posted

Think your right Mary, my balance has improved as well with the exercise.

Sounds like you've had some good back country trips as well. My kayaks a current design willow. Love to paddle it much more then my canoe its just more difficult to carry on the portages. The camper route and remote cabins sounds better and better to me all the time. Last year I had 400lb bear come into my site and wiped out all my food. It was 2 in the morning. It climbed up the tree where I had my food tied and chewed through a good 8inch diameter branch to get it. luckily he left me alone though. I think it was my Ju jubes that got his attention. Haha

• Posted

Ju jubes!!! If I had met you on the trail during a long haul I would have chewed through that tree too! Ha! I always hit the icecream store when I get back to civilization.... it NEVER tasted better than that.
    • Posted

Can you explain the church pew exercise? How does it help theTRK?

janet from ohio

• Posted

Hi Janet,

Google it and watch the video. It is supposed to re-engage the automatic neurological connection that creates the response from our quadriceps that has been damaged due to knee injuries and especially the TKR. Without this connection properly functioning we can tell our quad to do work and it will do it but it won't do it as automatically as we can breathe. I am not a medical professional but I have noticed that doing the exercise regularly since last week has improved my balance and ability to "catch" myself if I mis-step in the snow or on ice. It has also helped me straighten my leg those last couple of degrees. Try it and tell us what it did or didn't do for you.

• Posted

Are you doing weekly physical therapy for your TKR? I went 3X a week before and after(for 4 months). My orthopedist has his own PT section right with his office. Worked for an hr each time on machines as well as reg types ...stretching and strengthening...TENS electic wave therapy as well as those done one table with ankle weights and also with therapist bending knee ..and icing down before leaving.

Janet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.