Knee Replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

I havent been on this site for some months but I found it so helpful after my Bi-Lateral Knee replacement (Double) just wanted to touch base. It has been 8 1/2 months now, I still have stiffness in both my knees, the left worse than the right, after I have been sitting or lying down I limp or waddle for the first few steps. I do not take or need any pain killers anymore and walk around a whole 3 blocks nearly every night, still go on the excersize bike when I think of it, I'm sure my knees will never be the same again but at least the pain I had before surgery has gone

1 like, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello !

We must have had our ops at much the same time. I only had one done though. I cannot comprehend having two at the same time but I guess you get it all over and can move forward smile. It sounds to me that you are doing very very well and we sound in similar places. It has just started to get cold here in New Zealand and I am really feeling it in the knee if I dont wear something warm over the knee. I am tempted to knit some knee warmers !!!  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I feel the same im going on for a year and a half soon must do the other knee.....but it will never be the same....but pain is gone........and the bend is not the same but I can manage
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wow you were brave to have both knees done at once. My surgery has been 10 weeks and I have been wondering what it is going to be like in a couple of months because right now it is still swollen and painful. I guess it's true it will probably be about a year or more before it's completely healed. Thanks for your post.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds good, especially bearing in mind you had both done!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well that's what it's all abou tRobyn - the pain going:-))))  It's SO worth it!  It must be lovely to be able to walk like that, that distance too!  I can't even imagine that!  Enjoy it!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

Thanks for letting us know, pleased you are pain free and in a better way.

I think for most of us the knee or knees will never be the same.

Shame none of this is said before the operation. It's strange for most operations there is really no mention of what to expect in the weeks, months and years after the operation

Good healing

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lovely to hear a success story Robyn!

I think all you bilaterals are real Trojans! I sometimes think it would have been better if I had gone against my surgeon's advice & gone for bilateral! Esp in light of NHS cuts now. Hey-ho hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

All the best on your continued good health!

Marilyn

XX

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Two at once! Wow!  I had my right knee replaced last December and although I thought I was prepared for the surgery, the brutality of it threw me for a loop.  I am relatively pain free and can walk my 87 pound dog without falling flat on my face. However, I doubt I will have the other knee replaced. The pain during the recovery was excruciating. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well done no way could I have coped with bilateral you are brave. I am so glad has mine done though .
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Great that you are doing so well after having both knees done, very brave. I'm a year down the line now, I had my right knee done and though it is still stiff it has improved so have to keep exercising to get it bending more. I find as well that after I've sat for a while I tend to hobble along for a few steps then I'm okay but I do get a throbbing just above that knee as though its a trapped nerve, this I find a real nuisance as it tends to wear me out. I don't have any pain fortunately just the throbbing I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes Bren I find after sitting down for some time I hobble like an old drunk for the 1st few steps too, I dont however have any throbbing pain, do find it a bit difficult to put shoes on though, mainly runners with laces!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Bren

I don't have any throbbing in good (TKR) knee, just in bad!!

I also stagger around a bit on standing, mainly due to the knee that needs to have TKR still!! The TKR leg is ok, bit wobbly maybe but it's the other one that really slows me up!! Hope to get it done, don't know when.

Just as well we don't meet up, 2 'drunks' together!! Lol

Marilyn

XX

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up