knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

3 years now I have been waiting for knee replacement surgery, I went again back in may to be told that it would be this September, I have now been told it will be next june because Wrexham maelor hospital has just lost 2 doctors in the trauma and orthopaedic department I am in terrible pain and my doctor has put me on tramadol which I have been on for some months now but even the tramadol is failing now, is there anything I can do to ease this pain? I am walking around the bedroom at 3 am in the morning because I cant sleep for the pain and there is no way I can last till next june, I cant afford to go private or I would, letters from my doctor, mp, amd colmplaints dept at the maelor have not helped at all, I just don't know what to do,?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Horrible for you. Are you using a stick? That can help. Or maybe some kind of brace or support? Have you, and/or are you able to adapt your lifestyle to reduce time on feet? Have you had physiotherapy? Why do you need a replacement? Is it osteoarthritis damage?
  • Posted

Sorry for this news. Ice and elevate your knee several times a day and before you go to bed. It should really help. We understand your pain. Hang in there.
  • Posted

They will have to transfer you to another hospital mine was done out of my catchment area If you are actually on THE waiting list the government says 4 months so go write a letter of complaint to the Nhs stating that the waiting is out of government guidelines
  • Posted

I am so sorry for your pain. You must be so frustrated. You also must be in a country other than America.  Could you get admitted in an Emergency room because of the intense pain?? 
  • Posted

Dear Max,

I am so very sorry for all the stress you are going through.  I can't imagine having to wait so long to have this taken care of...I hope things get better in your search.  

Before I had my knee surgery, the things that helped me best was icing and taking ibuprofen.  Elevating while icing worked even better, keep off your knee as much as possible.

Hang in there and know that we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hello Max. I am sorry to hear of the pain you are in and that surgery keeps getting put off. You may want to try therapy. I did therapy before surgery and after, at first I thought it was doing no good but it did help me.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Max, I am so sorry to hear of this terrible ordeal you are going through. Are you in the U.S.?  That shouldn't happen here. Along with all the other good advice you've been given have you tried water therapy? It is so easy on the joints, but does wonders. I hope you can find somewhere like the YMCA to do this.   I've been told seeing a chiropractor or acupuncturist  can also help. I will keep you in my prayers that you find some relief from this. 

• Posted

Hi Max,have you tried sleeping with pillows between the knees.?

also get your doc to prescribe Voltarol. 

This will help.  All the best.

• Posted

Can you get a new referral for somewhere else? Maybe make some calls and see where NHS doctors might be. ...my surgeon works a private hospital but also sees NHS patients ....there should be other options available other than just the one dhospital.

I really hope you can find an alternative....that is not fair for you.😟

• Posted

My local hospital had a twelve month waiting list. So I went to a big city hospital. I got my bilateral knees done in a month. I rang the Surgeon's office weekly and got friendly with his staff.  My operation was free in Sydney. $50,000 worth of cats can, bone scan, X-rays and surgery. You have choices and are not powerless.  Do some research. Every hospital publishes wait times here. Do some checking. If you live in a place where old people with joint problems live then you'll likely wait.  I could not walk. I put mine off for years then got in when I asked VERY calmly and respectfully. The ortho residents are overworked and exhausted but they did mine under excellent supervision. Do whatever it takes to get your knees done. No use just dulling pain, if you need an operation.  

Be lean, be fit and eat healthily and drink water. Exercise on a bike or just upper body weights or in a pool. If you put your mind to it you will achieve best results. 

• Posted

Yep, I hear you. I had to wait 12 years for my first TKR..  It's a tough gig.  Complaints, emergency departments - I'm sure you'll find the same thing that I did - it's not an emergency in their eyes, and no point in complaining because they're doing the correct processe to be honest with you.  This doesn't mean that they're not viewing your pain correctly, they are, as am I.

As I said - 12 years of waiting for me, I found that:

-  They're not going to put you on stronger pain meds than tramadol because people become addicted quickly.  Not that they want to at all, but your medicos know this happens easily, quickly. To be honest - what I did was to actually cut down the drugs.  It's tough, but can be done. 

The way I reduced meds was very involved, if you want for info on how I managed, you're more than welcome to ask me or message me here.

-  Instead of walking around the bedroom at 3am, just accept that that's what you'll go through.

I'm not saying this for any other reason that this is what I found.  As I said I endured all of that for 12 years.

See if you can attend a pain management clinic, I'm not sure how you would even find one, but they investigate the pain and possibly try other meds to reduce the pain.

I hope I've given you some advice that may help you albeit just from my experience.

• Posted

Max mentioned Wrexham, so I believe he is in the UK, is that right Max?  If so - the NHS can be a real nightmare for some, it often depends on your Post Code - where you are located and what resources are there....and the waiting times can be very unrealistic, but sadly accurate due to more and more cut backs, lack of surgeons, hospital closures, etc.

However, that said, you CAN make the NHS work FOR you, not against you - you just need to be a little less polite than most Brits tend to be.  smile  I am an American, living in the UK for 17 years.  I learned in my first year or two here - that being polite gets you nowhere on the NHS other then living a long time in pain.  

By being polite, I mean just accepting what they tell you.  You have to fight your corner, and maybe you have.  But you really need to be proactive.  Since learning this, and being "more American" when dealing with the NHS I have had excellent experiences and very reasonably waiting times.  I only had to wait 6 weeks for my op once the decision was made to go ahead.  The media was telling everyone knee and hip replacements were 18 weeks at the time!!  So see, you can get ahead.  

So - yes, as someone said you are not powerless - you just need to find out all options available, tell them its not acceptable and you want another doctor - even if you have to go out of your area.  Become a squeaky wheel - be firm, but not aggressive, just stand your ground and fight that it is unacceptable - and look to other locations.  Down here in Sussex there are loads of Health Centers that treat NHS patients for replacement ops, like the Nuffield Health Centre is one....they may have one up your way?

Don;t suffer in silence - all that will do is get you depressed and then you have two battles to deal with - like I say, become the squeaky wheel.

And to be clear, by saying do not be so polite, i mean that tongue in cheek - and I certainly do not mean be rude.  What I mean is - YOU drive the bus....you take control of your outcome, not them.  Just fight for your corner, and do not just accept what they say with a smile, and then go home and suffer. 

Im rooting for you!!  I want to hear you find someone soon!!!  Good luck!

• Posted

One other point I should make is if you are deemed a poor candidate, are diabetic or suffer from recurrent staph infections, this can delay surgery. Please be as fit and prepared for surgery, as possible. It displays to the medical profession that you care about yourself and your health. It's no use expecting them to operate if you smoke, abuse alcohol or are obese. The reality is they are selective in choosing candidates. They want to know that you will obtain the best outcome. This info was given to me by a Australian doctor. I was aghast but it made sense to me, eventually! Good luck!

• Posted

Not so much the case here in the UK...ANY SURGEON I SAW, WHEN I MENTIONED MY...oops, sorry, mentioned my weight told me if I needed the replacement they would do it, no matter what weight...but obviously explained the benefit of losing prior for an easier recovery....but it was not a consideration for them at all. It's different everywhere.

• Posted

Hi. They certainly don't make it known here in Oz. But it occurs. I'm simply fielding reasons for excessive wait times. An acquaintance was told to lose 30 kgs. Or her surgery would be delayed. She whined about it but it was something she had to do. Life is hard but I came to understand that if the cost is borne by taxpayers then patients needed to be at least partly responsible for doing their bit. Not fair to some but life is tough. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.