Knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi not sure if my last post went up

HELP

I am 7 weeks post op, things had been going really well untill today.

I am in so much pain in my knee, leg and foot, I have my leg elevated , ice pack and used oramorph 10ml and paracetamole but still no relief. Is it normal, the pain is really not good. HELP PLEASE

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Deb. Have you been doing more than normal? I am 4 months past now but do remember having really serious pain around eight weeks and for two days felt I was back at the beginning. It was because I had started to feel more confident and as well as my exercises I started static cycling and then went on a long shopping trip. Halfway around the shopping mall I thought I couldn't carry on, needed a walking stick and serious pain meds. It did settle down after a couple of days and major panic.

Does any of this sound familiar? If so you are doing the right thing. Rest, ice and elevate for a few days. Good luck.

• Posted

That is exactly what I have done, 2 big shopping trips with lots of walking, the usual housework. I thought I would be ok to be back to normal, as I have had very little pain for awhile.

I was going to try riding my bike, I have decided against it for a few more week.

Thank you for your reply

• Posted

Hi I'm only 6 weeks post op but I am starting to find out that if I do too much I know about it that night and the following day.  I think there is a fine line in doing enough rehab to progress and doing too much that it sets you back. Sometimes I think we have it in our heads that recovery is going well and we push it too far. Maybe this is what has happened. Just rest up and start again tomorrow X 

• Posted

I'm 8 months out and still have weird feelings in my legs and feet. You are so early in your recovery and you WILL get better. If you can't get pain relief by Monday, call your dr for something stronger. Good luck to you. 

• Posted

I'm 7 weeks on Monday and I've done exactly the same as you. We took my mum in law shopping and it took longer than I thought. I didn't take my stick because I'm great in the house without it. I ended up in tears when I got through my front door. I'm currently sitting on my sofa with my leg up and ice pack on it. It just shows we're doing too much too soon. I hope you're feeling better tomorrow, take it easy

• Posted

As Chico likes to say healing is non linear. I am 7 months along and still have days that are very uncomfortable.  It will improve. If you overdo just give it a rest for a day or two. I was just like you at 7 weeks, it is much better now.
  • Posted

If you have a day when you are on your feet a lot, take along a foldable stick and use it to give your knee a rest. I know it might feel like a step backwards but first priority is not to over do things because it will hinder your recovery. Using support now and again can be handy.

I was still using crutches at 8 weeks..not all the time but when out walking for any distance. I did have quads which were very weak. I was only off using additional support in the form of walking poles at 3 months post op!

We are all very different, sounds like you have overdone it though!

Priority is doing the exercises and improving range of motion, rather than walking a lot.

Mind you, shopping is important! 😁😀

Pain is a sign...heed it! Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Seven weeks?  You've just started.  Attached is a picture of what you expect your recovery to be like versus what actually happens...

A TKR recovery is not...repeat NOT...a linear process.  Advances, setbacks, plateaus (the worst) are all part of the experience.  There is no depression...there is no frustration...there are no expectations.  There's only work, time and patience.  This thing takes a year...plan on it.  Plus some issues (decreasing stiffness, tight band-like feeling, clunking noises, etc.) can linger 12-18 months...or more.

I'm almost 20 months and still dealing with nerve tingling when I kneel down; everything else is pretty much gone.  Most people report feeling more like their old selves in the 10-12 month range and everything being pretty much resolved after the 1 year mark.  Look...  We're all different and heal at different rates.  You may luck out and have a full recovery a lot sooner.  Not likely but we've had a few lucky ones report it.  

Just remember that you cannot push a knee to recovery.  It just swells and sets you back.  You have to keep doing the work, increasing activity gradually, until you are recovered.  That's it.  Be prepared for a lot of crazy crap no matter where you are in time.  Get the negativity out of your head and focus on other things.  This is a great article that may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-power-of-rest-some-great-strategies-to-try-on-a-tkr-617892

Take your mind off the pain...your knee will be better when it's better...and not a moment sooner...

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind replies, I was expecting to be pain free and back to normal by now!! I know now it was wishful thinking, I will slow down a bit and rest and ice more

I will listen to all your advice.

Best wishes to you all and once again thank you

• Posted

"I was expecting to be pain free and back to normal by now"...at seven weeks?  Who told you to expect that?  Whoever it was, never speak to them again because they are completely delusional!!!!!  As I said...

Give up all your expectations!!!

You have to do the work, endure the pain, give it time and be patient.  That's the recipe.  Anything else will mess with your head.

• Posted

One of the managers at my work said a woman in his last store had a tkr, back at work after 6 weeks, then 6 weeks later had her other knee done then back at work 6 weeks later. I'm feeling a bit pressure now because I'm nearly 7 weeks and not really ready to go back to work

• Posted

We've heard of people doing that.  The lucky few get away with it; most don't.  They deal with pain, swelling, sleepless nights and more.  Sets their recovery back big time because they have not allowed the knee to heal.  Depends on the person and we're all different.  Also depends on the job.  Sedentary office work, although painful to just sit there for eight hours, is easier to get back to than construction work, delivery man, or a nurse running the hallways.  So many factors go into this.  Rule of thumb:  Your knee will let you know when you can return to work...and not a moment before.

• Posted

Sometimes people go back gradually, and no doubt the type of work makes a difference, but from reading around here and my own personal experience I would say 3 to 4 months...if possible 4 months, before return to work, in order to reduce stressing both mental and physical, and putting rehabilitation back.

What sort of work is it?

• Posted

I work in B&Q, 39 hours a week.A huge diy store. Lots and lots of walking, lifting, on concrete floors with steel toecap boots. I will go back on reduced hours then build up my hours hopefully. I actually booked a hotel for my works Xmas party because I live 23 miles away. It's the 10th of December but I don't think I'll be back by then

• Posted

Think about affording yourself as much time off as you are able, and be strong in resisting other people's ignorance! It's a major operation, and though I am young for TKR I would say it was around 6 months when I felt really in tip top condition.

Strengthening exercises take time, but all work done around the 3 to 6 month stage I am certain has really had a good impact on my leg. It's an investment and takes a while for the whole body to recover...

Look after yourself! Unfortunately it is easy to feel SHOULD... I did with respect to how long I was using supports, i.e. crutches and later sticks, even though i made an informed decision, based on my very lovely physiotherapists approach, which i agreed with! I still felt the subtle comparisions being made by some people with respect to "this person" or "that person" who had had a knee replacement! but you make your decisions based on what YOU want, as much as is practically possible.

• Posted

Me too, I'm 51 and need my left knee done too. I was absolutely brilliant right after my op and thought, this is not a bad as I was told. It just seems to go on and on. I was meant to have a follow-up with my surgeon after 8 weeks but no appointment available until 11 weeks. No physio apart from what they showed me in hospital the day I left and a leaflet with pictures showing what exercises to do. I don't have a clue what my rom is or anything. I feel like I've been stuck at this plateau for ages now

• Posted

I didnt see my consultant until 3 months post op...

Overloaded NHS. Very grateful for it mind you!

It might be a blessing not to know your range of motion measurements. some people get very concerned about them though it seems more the case in the USA from what i pick up from reading around the forum,. My physios were not bothered with measuring mine!

As swelling goes down things do progress....wait until around 12 weeks, then it's all leaps and bounds as long as you don't overdo things. Yep, patience is the virtue! I'm off to zzzzzzz now!

• Posted

Thanks Jenny, you've been great. I'm just gutted I won't get to the Xmas dance. That was my aim lol. Sad I know. I run the social committee in work and usually it's me booking stuff and running around selling raffles and stuff. Anyway, patience is needed. (not the most patient of people) 😁 night night x

• Posted

My sister turns 50 soon so is having a special party. I'm determined to go to it but she says she's getting a sign made for me that says " if you see me dancing tell me to sit down" 😂 I have a history of letting my hair down too much sliding around a dance floor on my knees with an inflatable guitar it's no wonder I've had to have a TKR 😱

• Posted

Hahaha, that made me laugh 😂 That's what I was dreading about work's Xmas party, sitting in a chair watching. I LOVE dancing!

• Posted

Sounds great fun, you sound like the kind of person i would go for a drink with lol. I do exactly the same as you after a few. My husband and son do the guiter thinh everytime they have a few drinks together, thats possibly the reason my husbsnd is having a hip replacement the 6th December. No sliding for either of us this christmas, but the invisable guiter may come out lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.