Knee replacement allergic to blood thinner

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem . I had a knee replacement 16 days ago, and all is going well with the knee. On day 12 I suddenly had a severe allergic reaction to something. The only different drug I was on was dabigatran a blood thinner .  I am covered head to toe in big hives and it itches like mad .. GP, put me on steroids 3 days ago, but I am not seeing any improvement yet . Blood thinners changed to injections , so just waiting to see if things settle down 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My mom has strange reactions like that too but it wasn't the blood thinner, I don't think. We think hers was from the pain meds that changed on Day 4 post op. Are you certain the blood thinner is the only thing that changed? My mom had different antibiotics, different bandages, etc so the environment changed once she came home from the hospital then pain meds changed again too.  
  • Posted

i was iching all over around 3 days after operation.   I iched all over, I was even sratching my face.   They said it was due to allergy reaction to painkiller.I was given Pirithon (sorry do not remmber how to spell it) and everything was fine.
  • Posted

Sorry , forgotten to add that may be you are allergic to metal. For his reason I requested Genesis II Zirconium.   
  • Posted

After I left hospital I only had meds that I had been on before the op, so presumed it wasn't those .i really hope I am not allergic to the knee , that would be awful
  • Posted

Hi Pam39536. I am on Warfarin blood thinner for the rest of my life, and when I had my knees done, I changed over to giving myself Clexane injections in the week leading up to the op and gradually coming off the Warfarin, as per the Anaesthetists instructions. On the day of the op nothing was given, and then immediately the next day I was back on the Clexane and Warfarin. One Dr had suggested the new blood thinner (as you don't need regular blood tests to check INR) but I had refused it as I know several people who had had problems after changing to it. Reading your message makes me even more pleased I hadn't! I had enough complications without adding that too...

Are you on blood thinners always or were they just trying to avoid a DVT whilst you were less active? I hope you're feeling better now.biggrin

• Posted

Hello, thank you fir replying, No, I am not normally on blood thinners, just for 4 weeks after the op. The hives are still raging , hence the reason I am up at this time. The hives come out, clear up and move on to another spot. I think they are working down to my hands and feet lol. 4th day of massive steroids dose today , surely they must soon go . I have the next knee op to look forward to soon lol  Pam 
    • Posted

Are you sure the blood thinner is the problem? In my experience, an allergic response stops shortly after the offending substance is terminated. The new hives make me suspicious that it may be something else, especially after being on steroids for 4 days. Try to re-think everything that changed, when it changed and when it was discontinued. I'm not familiar with the drug you're taking but maybe it has a lengthy half-life (the time it stays in the body) so maybe it is the blood thinner but 4 days is a really long time to stay in your body at high enough levels to continue causing such a severe response. 

Please keep us posted with your progress. Also, have you asked about taking benedryl or applying medications directly on the hives. Just a thought. 

• Posted

No, I can't be sure, but there is nothing else I am taking I haven't used before. I am taking piriton 4 hourly, and using cream. Apart from the itching I feel ok . GP did a throat swab yesterday , to see if they can come up with anything else . I had an attack like this 30 plus years ago,  it was put down to benylin cough mixture . That was severe and took over a week to go . I cannot remember if I had steroids though.
    • Posted

It's hard when you don't know "for sure" what caused it or how soon it will improve. My mom had previously had a severe reaction to dye used during CT scans and she would have died if she hadn't been in the hospital already. The good thing is that it went away within a couple hours of being treated. 

Maybe just watch for any other odd symptoms like difficulty breathing or unusual swelling. You may just have to wait it out and try not to scratch your skin off in the process. 😊

• Posted

Yes, I aware of the dangers thank you. My lips did swell and one of my eye lids went strange , but my breathing and tongue are fine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.