Knee replacement in airport.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Somebody said to me the other day that the metal in a knee replacement will be detected by security,so you have to have a letter from your doctor/surgeon. Does anybody know about/have experience of this please?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Like Jodie, my knee set off the scanners.  I just told them and they scanned it with the hand scanner.  It wasn't an issue and I don't have a letter to prove that I have new knees...just not very pretty scars!
  • Posted

I just flew in February and my doctor had given me a plastic card for each knee to show that I had knee replacements.  I asked the TSA if they needed to see them and they said "no".  Went right through the scanner with no issues!  
    • Posted

Thanks Retha. Theres no way Id get anything like that from my doctor. I cant even get an appointment lol. I might mention it next time I do. The strange thing is with all this difficulty getting in theres hardly anybody in the surgery when you do go. But it looks like you didnt need the card.

Thanks

john.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.