Knee replacement next month

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi I’m feeling nervous as never been in hospital overnight and having total knee replacement next month - a lot of what I’ve read seems to be depressing , anyone had this and feeling much better for it ?

all advice welcome 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

As my daughter said to me when I was reading all the scary depressing comments  prior to my TKR “mum the people who have had a successful knee replacement are not sat reading websites they are out on the golf course and getting on with their new active lives”.  She was quite correct. My knee is fabulous. Don’t worry it will be fine start planning all your new activities. I was back at work after four weeks. I will be thinking of you. X x x 
  • Posted

My advice is that if you really really need it go for it. I wish I had never done it. I’m 9 weeks out and now have stiff knee. Worried after I have read a lot about this and the way to fix this is not want I want to do. 
    • Posted

Hi Joann , if you need a manipulation do it. I was so afraid of getting one after what people where telling me. I had mine OCT 30th. The best thing I could have ever did. I don’t have any Pain and I can finally sleep at night. Before the manipulation, I was stiff and couldn’t bend my knee was stuck at 45. The pain kept me up all night. 
  • Posted

Has my left TKR 3 months ago and the other knee needs a replacement next year,and yes it’s a rough ride,but as the surgeon told me the alternative is sooner or later I’ll end up in a wheelchair so it’s a no brainier and  3 months in I’m back on the golf course (nine holes for now) so if you need it get it done man.
  • Posted

Go for it. I had both mine done a year apart. Before I could have cried with the pain, I fell and lay on the floor not able to bend my knee to get up for half an hour, finally had to force myself to kneel and pull myself up, the pain was horrendous. After two replacements, knees are stiff if I sit too long but soon wears off. Way better than the awful arthritis pain, I didn't realise how bad I was!

I would have them done again In a second.

• Posted

Thanks for your words of advice - much appreciated and although I dread the op as I know in the long run it will help me 
  • Posted

Try not to get too anxious or depressed. It’s necessary surgery if you are hurting as I was. We all heal at different rates, mine has been a journey not a sprint, but still I plan to get the other one done in six more months. You just can’t think about the down time, mine was not very painful but I do still have stiffness. I walk weird because my other knee is so bad and it keeps me from walking much.  Hopefully with both done, I will regain my natural gait and walking will become easier.  Yes it takes time, but suffering is much worse. Even with my slow recovery, I am glad I had it done. I expect it will eventually not feel so stiff but if not I would rather have stiffness then pain.
  • Posted

Hi Eastie!

My left knee was replaced June 2015. Three and a half months later I had my right knee replaced. From the first few hours following surgery my new left knee was already stronger than my right not-yet-operated-on knee! I had a nerve block for the first 24 hours and additional IV pain medication as needed. (My nurses wrote various medications on my room's whiteboard and the interval between when I could have them. I essentially ordered up the additional meds as needed from the "menu" following the interval rules.) I used a bedpan the first night and then moved to heading to the bathroom the second night. I literally called for my nurse and the two aides which came along with her EVERY 20-30 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG!) We were all giggling as our entourage of FOUR went across the room to the bathroom, two to steady me and one to roll my IV pole. One aide needed to duck under the IV pole so she could position me carefully alongside my IV pole in the bathroom. I would use the toilet as they waited outside the closed door. Then I would pull the cord to alert them I was ready to come out. Back we would go to my bed. Cassie, my angel of a nurse, would say cheerily, "See you in about a half hour, sweetie!" I asked her if I could get credit with physical therapy the next morning for all my walking throughout the night. She wrote the comment on my chart and DID share it with the physical therapists that next morning.??

I had PT twice that second day and third day. I was discharged the following day. My pain was far less after surgery that it had been in the four YEARS prior to my surgery.

Swelling was my biggest issue with my left leg. My right was so much further ahead after its surgery. This was a surprise because my right knee HAD BEEN my worst knee.

I prayed a lot before my surgeries and asked for strength and calm. God delivered, for sure! I knew I would have discomfort, but I also knew these surgeries were my best hope for regaining my life again.

Two years post surgeries I am walking, standing, climbing steps, gardening, raking leaves, playing with our two-year-old granddaughter, shopping , and doing it all with NO KNEE PAIN. I do have arthritis in many other areas of my body, but my KNEES are GREAT!

For me, these two knee replacements were the best two things I ever did for myself and my health.

I hope you will find your experience to be a very successful one!??

• Posted

Wow such a positive post and I hope I recover as well as that - thanks so much for that wink
    • Posted

You are very welcome!😄

At the hospital I surrounded myself with my warm fleece blanket and my bright and cheery pillow sham. I stocked a satchel with my Bible, several magazines, my cell phone and charger, my journal and pens, pictures of my family, some lifesaver candies, Kleenex, some hand lotion and lip gloss. Having everything RIGHT BESIDE ME meant that I always had what I needed.

My best sleep would come unexpectedly as I would drift off for several minutes. Being comfy and warm with my fleece blanket was oh so nice!??

Drink plenty of ice water to eliminate toxins from surgery and meds. It helps get swelling down, too.

Hospital stays are usually about 2-3 days. Let everyone help you as needed, but try some of the above to help you feel capable on your own for many of your needs.

You can do this!😄

• Posted

20-months post-op...necessary and worth the year's recovery.  It can be depressing or a challenging opportunity to find strength you never knew you had.  No more horrible pain...just gotta stay strong and do the work, give it time and be patient.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice -seems a really friendly bunch here and this forum will help me on my way wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.