knee replacement su

Posted , 10 users are following.

Any one can help it's now 3 weeks ,I am still in a lot of pain my knee hurt to the  Touch , I am doing physical therapy she seems to say I'm doing well I can bend my leg 98° but it hurts 

One field attorney hurts more now than it did before .never swollen and  bruised 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Its all normal. Just remember your knee was chopped off and put new implant in there. Burning is normal and will be for a while. Keep icing and elevated. And take your pain pills and anti inflammatory meds. Be patience.
    • Posted

Ethel never gave me any pain pill for home ,or any Fleming Tory's the only thing they sent me home was blood clot pills

• Posted

In order to prevent infections, you should have anti inflammatory meds and pain meds before physical therapy. Something's wrong there.

• Posted

Had you had a blood clot or were the meds prescribed as a precautionary measure? Kind regards
    • Posted

Mona, I think someone may have given you some bad info. Antibiotics are for infections and anti inflammatories are just for that inflammation caused by the surgery, mainly the bruising, etc.

Never let anyone tell you that an anti biotic does anything but stop bacterial infections and anti inflammatories do anything but help with pain. Some Drs refuse to allow patients anti inflammatories after sugar as it causes stomach issues. Other Drs prescribe it....go figure.

• Posted

No, oldfatguy. I know. You misunderstood. The inflammatory part that is you have pain and the swelling without taken anti inflammation can turn into infection. That's why medications four pain and inflammatory needs to be reduced. If you don't take those meds, you will get infections then antibiotics is needed.

• Posted

Mona, I've had 2 serious staph infections including one that required removal of the prosthesis. I can personally guarantee yo that anti inflammatory drugs did and could not stop the infection. I had been using Aleve which is a 12 gr8 OTC med. I was also on 2 pain meds. I would had for anyone to think they could counteract infection that way.

I would like to hear from anyone else that has been told that.

• Posted

Well, each person is different. Luckily I never gotten infections as istay on top of oy!
    • Posted

Inflammation does not cause infection. It's the other way around.  Infection can cause inflammation.  If you have an article which says otherwise, I would love to read it, because I really believe it would be news to most doctors and medical experts.   You are lucky to have not had infections, but  I would be willing to bet that taking anti inflammatories has not been the reason.  the reason has been luck, which unfortunately OFG did not have with his second TKR.  

• Posted

You should call your dr and get pain and anti inflammatory medications. I am 14 weeks and stll use ibuprofen at night. Without it you will hurt much more than necessary.
    • Posted

I just did he said extra strength Tylenol for pain and no anti-inflammatories he said it's not good for your heart

• Posted

Well he is making tough your way through. Pain is normal and it lasts for weeks. Most drs prescribe some opioids for this level of pain. I used them to week 8 and still use the Motrin for swelling. Good luck I hope your pain reduces quickly and that you can sleep.
    • Posted

I don't know where you are located but if you are in the US, call your primary care Dr and explain the situation. Most general practitioners are more reasonable than surgeons when it comes to pain managing. Make sure you are icing frequently and the entire knee.

One problem with some Drs in certain areas, the opioid scare that's being hyed by the media. It has Drs scared to death that they are being branded as pill pushers and they fear legal actions. Karma will get the a**h**e but that, of course doesn't help you

• Posted

That's what my surgeon said too . no anti inflammatories, and acetominophen . . doesn't do much good does it!  I went back to him and I was very adamant that without pain control there was no way I was going to get beyond 85, and after much persuasion he gave me 20 tramadol tablets. . which lasted seven days.  The GP (think you call it primary physician in the States?) is usually more sympathetic.  good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.