knee replacement su

Posted , 10 users are following.

Any one can help it's now 3 weeks ,I am still in a lot of pain my knee hurt to the  Touch , I am doing physical therapy she seems to say I'm doing well I can bend my leg 98° but it hurts 

One field attorney hurts more now than it did before .never swollen and  bruised 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hang in there Bosco. 3/52 today since op. Had tried to reduce pain meds Thur/Fri but tears++ on Sat! found forum , upped co codamol to 30/500 strength again and started using Voltarol gel as suggested on Forum. Much improved but still very painful to do knee bends! Thankfully bruising is slowly disappearing at last 1
  • Posted

"You've only just begun..." - The Carpenters, 1970

So I took some liberty with the title but it still applies.  It's gonna hurt and hurt...for a while to come.  Most of us are/were on the opioids for 30-60 days, especially during PT.  People refer to this as "brutal" and they're absolutely right.  A complete assault on mind, body and soul.

Eat healthy, hydrate a lot, stay on your med schedule (do NOT deviate), ice, elevate, turn your mind to things other than the pain, go to PT, do your home exercises.  The whole thing takes a year...accept it...own it.

• Posted

Hi Bosco - maybe I misread that after surgery you were sent home without pain killers and anti-inflammatories. I don't know in what part of the world you had your surgery, but that is inhumane. Total knee replacement is a very painful surgery at least for the first 2 months. Unless you have a very high threshold for pain. You need pain killers when you go for PT and you also need anti-inflammatories to bring down the swelling along with icing and elevating your leg. I follow the forum every day and they are some patients that have very little pain. However, there are some like me that still have pain. I am 9 months post op TKR and I still experience some pain. Thank God that my doctor works with me. You should contact your doctor again and explain the pain problem. Hope your pain decreases soon. Please let us know. In this website you have an abundance of people with experience always willing to give their best advice. J-21370

• Posted

Three weeks is very early . . it's all bound to hurt at the moment, and swelling and bruising is very normal.  If you give it time, it will resolve, but swelling tends to last for many weeks.  Bending to 98 at three weeks is pretty good, but it is important to keep doing it even though it hurts, and aim to reach at least 120 in the end. . but no need to panic about getting there. You are better than I was at six weeks, and I am now at 135 . . Good pain control is important to help you with the physical therapy, but even so, a degree of pain is unfortunately pretty inevitable for most of us, apart from a few lucky soulds who say they don't have pain!  However, if your PT pushes you too far to the point of screaming (mine did, blast her!) tell him/her to stop.  It's perseverance which wins the day in the end, not brutality. 

• Posted

I just have another question how long do you normally have to go to physical therapy 
    • Posted

Mine started at the 3-4 week mark.  -14 / +84...10 weeks @ 2x/week...-1 / +123 when done.
    • Posted

I think you'll find that varies depending on where you are!  I had a PT come to the house for a couple of weeks, three times a week, and from then on I was on my own, and quite glad to be!  She was a sadist from hell . . . .;-) I find I can inflict more pain on myself than I'm prepared to let someone else inflict on me. . . . 

• Posted

Starting this week but I go out to physiotherapy at the hospital once a week but I didn't ask how long I need to go for so I just thought I'd ask if anybody hear you thanks for helping out everybody

• Posted

Results are as as different a fingerprints.

Much depends on how fast of a healer you are, how much individual effort you are doing, you personal habits as far as hydration and nutrition, how much you allow your body to have good, complete rest. Just be very patient and be willing to put in the effort when the therapist isn't watching. It does take time. Read and reread Chico's teaching, or as they at known, the New Jersey journals, translated into Texan.

• Posted

Bit confused about field attorneys and Fleming tory's lol!!!

• Posted

You English teachers are all the same..pick, pick, pick. I remember one I had in college. Wanted correct spelling and proper punctuation and on top of that, sentences that made sense. I guess I shouldn't have accused him of being a jerk. I might have made a D instead of flunking

• Posted

Actually, when I had to work (thank heavens that's long past) I was  a Spanish teacher, not English . . .but I honestly don't know what a Fleming's tory is    .....and a field attorney?

• Posted

I'm with you. But then again, there is always something new. I write stuff lie that and blame it on auto correct...not my fingers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.