knee replacement surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

12 weeks in and I was doing great .. Now the last 2 days my leg has been aching again i thought i had passed all that Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm assuming you mean TKR?

This is still really early days.

When I had TKR 3 and a half years ago they said it would be about a year before I begain to feel the benefits of the operation and I reckon that was about right.

Hang in there and just take one day at a time.

It does get better.

Are you going to physiotherapy and what exercises are you doing?

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Yes i am Its been such  shock to me I really thought it would be a breeze .. The Physio said i never had to go back !! But i have the excercises i do all the time ... I am back to work full time its just the ache that drives me mad somedays there is none other days its all day ...

I feel somedays i want to cut it off !!! But on i go .. At least i am not so down about it all   Thank you 

• Posted

I think doctors and consultants maybe need to be more honest about the recovery period of something like this.

It is not a breeze, it is jolly hard work.

I count myself fortunate that I went into TKR knowing what to expect.

Hope you continue to improve

Sarah

• Posted

I dont get how you can even be at work. I am 11 weeks in with only a partial knee replacement and nowhere near . Have just been to tesco holind on to trolley and a stick my knee let me down twice it felt like lead and swollen and fluidy . I would say your doing amazing in comparison

• Posted

I was at hospital yeaterday i an 4 month and still have problems and he tod me that the end result is a year i was thinking there was something wronge. Ut had exray and every thing is ok so we just have to be patiant xxxxx
  • Posted

I agree with Sarah TKR can take eighteen months to settle down. Just keep up with your exercises, get an exercise bike and just pedal. It was a major operation so be patient and all will be well.

Blee 83

• Posted

Are you having a lot of swelling?

Do you also have varicose vein issues?

Are you ELEVATING your legs whenever you can?

Are you icing regularly?

Have you been taking any anti-inflammatory meds like Ibuprophen?

I had LOTS of swelling AND varicose vein issues. Both caused me achy legs.

Elevation and ice and REST helps me. I think it would help you, too.

Ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory medication really does help much better than Tylenol, in my opinion.

When I overdo it ( often!), I pay the price for several days afterwards. I am trying to find a good balance on this!

(18 weeks post op with TKR on left knee. 3 weeks post op with TKR on right knee.)

• Posted

Hi Delia, I'm at a similar stage, TKR 13/8. And I have days when I think I am practically pain free and others when aches and weird pains occur. I had stopped exercises and got rid of ice packs thinking I had recovered and then realised a couple of days ago that left leg is much weaker and knee still swollen. Like you I wanted to be finished with this but we are still on the journey!  I don't tell family, friends because  they must be fed up of hearing me moan but I must continue with the exercises.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I had a partial knee on 17th aug . I am walking with a stick everywhere. My knee is just locking at times a gives way so course am frightened . Not heard this happenong to anyone else . Doing daily physio n cycling . I was not expecting this journey at all
    • Posted

Hi Gill,

I really would recommend you consulted your surgeon regarding your locking knee. He is really the only person who can give you an answer that will satisfy your mind. Any replies you get these discussion groups are not usually expert, only well meaning. I am at present 10 weeks post TKR and and my knee although sore is moving smoothly through the full range of 0-120 degrees. It's a long progress, I have been told by my surgeon, will take up to 18 months in some circumstances. I am sure yours will take a long time too, but ask him his opinion it will put your mind at ease

• Posted

Hi Gill,

Sorry I was cut off in my prime sad

Try not to worry it won't help, consult the man who knows.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck.

Blee 83

• Posted

Thanks blee. I see my consultant on mon 16th nov . Will keep you posted
    • Posted

I know its just never ending I have not been to bad this week but today i have shin pain right down to my foot, feels like someone is stampingon my foot !! But had good sleep . I still have problems laying on the good side my bad leg does not like that one bit it feels a ton weight .. Like you i dont say too much because it would drive them all mad .. And if i sit for long I get up stiff as you like till i get moving again !! The journey will it ever end No swinging round the christmas tree for me this year !!

Take care out there and keep going 

• Posted

As I said in an earlier post this is still quite early days for you.

Be pateint. Yes the journey will end.

Have a good swing round the tree next year to make up for what you can't do now!!!

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.