Knee replacements.....

Posted , 9 users are following.

Since my surgery I have pain in my outer thigh ...it feel tight and burning...I am trying to stretch and do massages....and taking oxycoden....but it makes me drowsy....Will this get better??? Surgery done 1/28/16

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Luz

I think its still very early days,not even a month yet. Yoo WILL be getting pain. But hang in there. Youll get replies from people with more knowledge than me im sure

John.

• Posted

Hi I am nearly 11 weeks post surgery and still have pain and burning. I had to go back to surgeon last week and he explained that it takes up to twelve months for the knee to heal, you must keep on top of the pain with painkillers and you must rest and ice regularly and keep up with exercises. I still get very tired some days and still don't sleep properly at night ,but these problems are all part of the recovery. This forum is really good as everyone on here is going through or has gone through the recovery. There is always someone who can help. When I get over this I have to have my other knee done, I'm not looking forward to it but I know I will with all the support of family ,friends and my new friends on the forum. Best regards Jannette
    • Posted

Thank you. im going crazy here I cry alot taking pills I taught it was me....I was regretting the surgery but I have read all the same issues in this web site.....so I know ...is common now.....I feel that brighter days are coming thanks for tour time
  • Posted

It's very common for the IT band that runs down the outside of the leg to act up after a knee replacement. My therapist rolls over it with a foam roller to massage it then has me do special stretches. This helps a lot. This happened with both of my replacements.
    • Posted

Thank you for your time....yes that helps alot I go to a massage therapist...and that helped
  • Posted

I had lots of pain in parts that had not hurt before the surgery, but my surgeon and my PT person both patiently explained that I had gone though a tramatic thing and my body was protesting.  Made it through that, but got the "low down no good" blues after my back surgery and they put me on an antidepressant.  That really helped and glad I have them now that I am going to have the knee redone.  Ugh, falling apart ain't fun.
    • Posted

I hear you...is not fun....I hope that things will improve....I. hanging...in there...looking forwzrd for doing things normal again....best wishes
  • Posted

It's early and it probably will get better. I too could not take the oxycoden. My outer thigh pain has narrowed down to the lateral side of the joint and I have numbness in the anterior lateral side of my leg ( lateral sural cutaneous nerve area). This makes me worried about entrapment of the peroneal nerve. Something to consider if the pain doesn't get better in 2-3 more weeks
  • Posted

The short answer is yes. But you must keep working on joint mobility and strength training in spite of the pain or because of the pain.
    • Posted

Yes...I do therapy...and is very painful....but will not give up.....
  • Posted

Hi Luz

Early days. Early days.

I can see from your comments further along that you are getting comfort from all the advise that you will get here   You are not alone.  Its been my lifeline in so many ways.  We all have our own stories and advise to give. Some you will find very helpful and will identify with.  Listen to what we say and you will get through this.

Pain and lack of sleep will be your worst enemy at the stage your at.  Sleep is still a problem for me (13 weeks).  Take your painkillers,wait for them to work and do your PT. I'm sitting at laptop now with icepack on waiting for my painkillers to kick in so I can do my stretching.

Gently gently is my motto if it hurts too much pull back, you'll only set yourself back;

Its a long road your on Luz and the key word is patience.

Hang on in there

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Hey Irish lady ..Thank you!!!!!yes I will be strong and hang in there...taking my meds....only when I need them...it makes me drowsy....but I get pain relief ...hopefully I wont need these pills...in the near future...

A gal from Brooklyn..Ny

• Posted

Hi Brooklyn Gal

I will be 14 weeks tomorrow post op.

At your stage 6 weeks or so, I would be still taking all meds available to me and not letting them wear off!  At 6 weeks- seven weeks I was weepy and in despair tht it would ever get better!  I had pain where I never had it before! Pain in calf, pain in quad, pain in hamstring, Pain in knee! Nobody tells you it will take so long to get your life back!!

I was over exercising at that stage, thought the more I did the quicker I would get better. Exercised 2-3 times a day and if the PT said do repeats 10 times I would do 20.  Doesnt work like that, not for me anyway! The boys and gals on the forum here told me off in no uncertain terms! So I took a couple of days off and started again.  Gently gently this time and short walks,  within a few days I could feel the improvement.  I dont call it PT anymore I call it stretching. Ice, also plays a big part in your recovery and as above not letting the painkillers wear off. 

Today I am doing fine and am so much better. Still doing the stretching and icing, but am down on the painkillers but only in the last week or so.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and I can actually see it now wink

Take care and stay strong

Ann

The Irish one!

• Posted

my surgery was  1`-7-16 and I have the same problem although the pain is mostly at the lateral aspect of the knee. They say its my iliotibial band which they say is too tight. Because the pain is so localized I think something is entraped in scar tissue or rubbing on something. You are still early so stick with PT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.