knee replav\cment

Posted , 3 users are following.

my haubby had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago, his knee get so HOT on the sides of his knee to touch it. Do you know why it's doing this or is it normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi dianna -- oh YES, this is totally normal and can keep on for many more weeks.  you have to remember, this is a major operation during which the body was severely traumatized.  the heat is a sign that it is still needing to heal.  i am assuming your husband has been told to ice his knee regularly?  elevation and icing is the key to keeping the heat down.  good luck!
    • Posted

thank you for the info Britta. We have been doing the elevation and ice all the time.

• Posted

Hi Dianna

Britta is right, ice and elevation plus time.

I am 9 weeks + 5; around my scar is often still warm and red - I have been told this is the healing process in action. For the first few weeks after the operation, I am sure my knee was hot enough to literally fry an egg on!

As long as nothing is seeping from his wound it is fine.

All the best, Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.