Knee revision still painful 2 years after

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I had a knee revision in November 2013 and it’s been nothing but a painful journey and my Consultant has tried everything except a new knee again (which I do not want) my history to date is I had my first TKR in 2005 on my left knee and another on my right knee  in 2007 and everything was great I could exercise to keep fit and also maintain my weight this lasted until I decided to go up Ben Nevis for Charity in May 2012 and about 4 months after my left knee became very painful and I was referred to a different consultant as my original one had since retired and after numerous tests it was decided that a revision was the only alternative for getting rid of my pain as it was suspected that the joint had loosened but unfortunately after my revision in November 2013 my pain has been the same, I have had all sorts of treatment and scans except a CT scan but my consultant still maintains the joint looks good on the x-ray and as an engineer I agree with him that the joint looks great but that does not mean to say that all is ok inside the joint itself as the x-ray only gives a picture of the replacement joint and does not show if there is infection or that joint might be loose, so far I had a radium bone scan which showed some activity in the knee and was treated with antibiotics but no change plenty of x-rays as previously said are ok the only scan which I have not had is another  CT scan.  I am due for another aspiration to see if there is infection but I am sure it will be come up negative as my mind is now, I am in constant pain and on so much pain medication this worries me about what long term problems this can cause to my health and because of my medication I can no longer do the work I am employed to do and worry about how much longer my employer is going to carry me before he decides to let me go and because I can no longer exercise my weight is climbing up and I have put on 2 ½ stones which is not good for my joints. Just hope that after my next aspiration a solution can be applied to rid me of pain…Thanks for reading

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

With the pain starting four months after the Ben Nevis climb, perhaps it actually had nothing to do with it?  Somehow it is better to think that you have not actually contributed yourself to the problem . . i do hope they find what is wrong and can help to fix it, although it does seem that there is not a lot can be done except operate.  If there is infection, I hope they find it and pump you full of antibiotics to clear it.  I agree that long term use of pain killers is worrying. . .but permanent pain is so wearing. 
  • Posted

Hi there,itekweni. I read your piece with a wry smile,I'm afraid! I had OA in both knees but managed day to day. However,I also did a charity trek up Ben Nevis in 2012 and made the situation much worse in the left knee which led to needing a TKR in Dec 2013. Unfortunately,apparently it wasn't done well and I am waiting for revision. I understand your reluctance to have this procedure yourself! I am afraid I don't have words of wisdom for you except maybe try being referred to a Pain Management clinic where they can teach you practical and emotional ways of approaching this. 

Regards

• Posted

hi sorry to hear  this ,it worries me a little because im 12mths post revision and ive still got some pain and swelling, but its still no way as much pain as i had before the revision .you should ask for extensive blood tests to check for infection before my revision i got these done and at least it ruled out that ,like you i had xrays and ct scans and none showed up what was wrong only when they went in to do revision did it show that it was misalighned , it never showed in any scan so it dose take going in is the only way for sure to tell if its failed ,which is scary you would think in this day and age that they could tell by better means than cutting you open to check ?? its a case again of nobody wanting to take responsility for a failed knee and nobody wanting to fix it i hope you find a good surgeon to take you on please please get a few opinions before you do anything .good luck
  • Posted

Welcome to the pain club.  You might have been able to cibm Ben Nevis, but think about all the other bits that make up your knee.  You have seen the xrays; you are an engineer, you understand better than most of us.  On the other hand, you could have nerve issues.  sometimes even the smallest knock or twist can make the nerves flair up.  There are treatments for tis that does not involve invasion.  The other side of coin is that your does not like the foreign beings inside you.  It's not the same as rejection, but it is beep beep painful. Pain killers are the way  to go.  I would have thought if you had an infection there would be heat of some sort as well as swelling.  Stop speculating, see your consultant, don't think the worst.  Just because you are in agony, doesn't mean you have to give up work.  You can take the drugs and carry on with your life. Doesn't mean there are no answers out there, maybe just not yet.   have you tried alternative treatments.. acupunture,  for one. Never give up!
  • Posted

Hi all thanks for your input and its a relief knowing that I am not alone in the world of knee pain, I saw my consultant last week and my next round with hims is another aspiration of the left knee this being the third as he says thay there is a new test proceedure that has come out where he places the fluid taken from the knee directly onto this paper and it will say whether there is an infection or not this save having to send the sample off to the lad where sometimes than cannot detect any growth which would indicate an infection and he made the point of mentioning the price of £550.00 for the test kit. Another angle which has popped up on here is although the joints looks good there might be some miss alighnment and I will mention this to him when I am looking up to him on the operating table just before he stabs me in the knee...thanks one again for all your input

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.