Knee stiffness after TKR and MUA

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had TKR March 1, 2017 and after PT 3x a week for four months I was unable to reach 90 degrees. Dr did MUA after 6 weeks and under manipulation my knee reached 120 degrees. I'm still experiencing a lot of pain with therapy and after 4 weeks I can still only reach 90 degrees with assistance. My workable ROM is around 70 degrees. My knee remains warm to touch and is tight and stiff. And now I have a limp. Is anyone else experiencing problems with ROM, tightness and stiffness around the knee joint? I still do therapy 3 times a week but I seem to be regressing.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 10 weeks out now. Have stiffness, swelling and my ROM last was at 105. I haven't had it checked for 2 weeks as I'm done with therapy now. I have joined a gym and trying to do some of my exercises from therapy at the gym also. Leg presses. Treadmill, recumbent bike. Unable to take anything for inflammation like Aleve, Advil, ibuprofen as it hurts my stomach. My Dr now has me on Celebrex for inflammation. Not sure if that will help or not, just started it today. I also have a limp, they say its because your leg is not straight yet. Need to keep doing them stretching exercises to get to a 0. Some days are better then others but I'm keeping my head up. Love this site thats for sure. Good luck with yours.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You sound almost exactly like me. My tkr was July of 2016. Have had a scope and two manipulations since. It's not been a week since my second mua, but I'm not overly optimistic that I'm going to see improvement.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My progress in bending was very slow.  At one point they talked about MUA which I really didn't want.  I have worked hard at home and at physio. Swimming has been a massively help.  Now at 22 weeks and bend is about 95.  The thing is everyone is so different, improvement continues as does healing for many months.  Try not to worry about the numbers but on how you feel.  I'm quite happy with my knee now, it still gets stiff and warm but this site is a massive help and I hope I continue to improve but I've stopped worrying so much and have started to feel back to normal and not thinking constantly about my knee and how much I can bend it.  Wishing you well Doug.  

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jane im 10 weeks my bend is 55 my physio said im steadily progressing and would only go for MUI if there was no progress i dont want MUI if i can do this myself at physio i sit upright on couch and physio bends my leg in as far as i can let him its so painful and at home i do squads read on this forum they were good exercise canyou recommend any other exercise i cant swim im 55 yrs old normally quite fit i think lol,thank you Vicky.x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If you can access a pool in the shallow end just walking is beneficial in the water, also holding onto the side and cycling your legs. At home if you can buy a wobble board on line it's great for balance and not expensive. Also an inflatable gym ball to sit ins  roll backwards and forwards helps plus if you put it behind you against the walll it makes squats easier and more efficient. Hope this helps. Keep going, you will get there x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank's Jane i will try all you said i have a sports centre with pool not far from me so il take a walk over in next few days and do as you say and will try and keep positive biggrin this forum is fab good luck and thank's again Vicky.xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had TKRend Jan 2017, physio amounted to pamphlet and 1 show through followed by 3 appointments (2 then 3 weeks apart) measuring bend and no physio as I explected! left for 4 weeks as bend stuck at 70 until saw surgeon who amitted me 4 days later for MUA and then 24 hour stay on bending machine.  physio appointment followed going through history, measuring and one push on ankle to bend bit further and go back in 3 weeks.  I am relgiously doing exercises myself and find ice really helps - try sitting with ice on it really eases it and helps the bend.  Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up