knee supports after TKR?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Morning people. Can I please ask your views on support tights and if any of you have used them ? I am now 4 weeks and 3rd as post op. And I'm still in a considerable amount of pain. The worse is in my kneecap. That kills! I have ramped up my exercises a bit and generally trying to move a bit more. But then off course it swells and restricts movement. I am icing often. I wasn't given any ted support socks when I left hospital .but I'm wondering now if when I'm walking around with my stick if support tights would help to support the knee and the muscles around it. My only fear is that it may irritate my very long scar. Any thoughts very welcome. Thank you x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had to wear them for six weeks afterwards during the day for DVT prevention but I did find that it irritated my scar and couldn't wait to get rid of them.

the only thing that works really is ice and pain meds. I used to take anti inflammatorys and then two hours later paracetamol, spreading them out like this really helped the pain. It will soon ease, there is so much trauma in there.

• Posted

I've had both hip and knee replacements and never been given support socks (for which I'm very grateful as I think they're horrible things 😊) but as far as I understand they are purely used for the prevention of blood clots not for muscle support so personally I'd carry on without them. It is a long road and I'm afraid there can be a lot of pain ....do you need to get your doctor to review your pain meds?

good luck ! And hang on in there.... It's worth it in the end 

• Posted

Hi the morning after! TKR a nurse came and put them on me... 20 mins later my consultant surgeon came to see me on his rounds - and took them off. Said he didn't like them and just to get as mobile as possible and to keep wiggling my toes and rotating my ankles... Worked for me with no problems smile

Suzi 14wks +3

• Posted

Hi Jayne

I had to wear teds for six weeks thigh length. I hated them but they made a massive difference to the swelling. To help my scar I covered it with long meopore dressings that i got on prescription from my gp. I had to use 2 because of my scar but i eventually got some 35 cm long. At 10 weeks I now use support tights and they help too. After the 6 weeks were up I still put my teds on when my legs got bad. My scar is now beautifully healed and covering it made no difference to how it healed. My consultant made me wear long teds to help the swelling and I now see that he was right. I bought them off the internet. I find support stockings do help to ease the swelling a bit but they are a far cry from teds. Try some, mine were 8.50 which is reasonable. Good luck.

• Posted

My physical therapist gave me a compression bandage that only covers my knee..I wear it always, and it helps considerately. I have 2 and rotate them, as they stretch out and need to be washed to tighten again. They do not irritate the scar at all, but I do itch if I do not apply lotion before putting on. I can tell an immense difference when I wear it, and it helps me walk. They come in different sizes and are cut to fit, so ask your therapist about them.
    • Posted

The physio at hydro therapy did the same for me when fluid in the knee was causing problems. I too found it easier to walk with this bit of support. I only used it for a week or so but did help.
  • Posted

Hi, I was advised by the Hospital to wear them for 6 weeks and then another 2 weeks overnight which I did. They are not the best things to wear but I persevered as didn't was to get a dvt.  I know people who wear them on long haul flights as well,  just take care with the rubber at the top as I have ended up with a scar when my skin caught in it.
  • Posted

My therapist recommended wearing one to help control swelling. I didn't have them in the hospital because they used the compression thingies there instead.
  • Posted

never had them and ive had both knees done , we had ti inject daily for two weeks , dont think a support bandage will do any harm , i would give it a go , you have nothing to lose .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.