Knee surgery 3 weeks ago.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and can't bend my knee past 65 70% I'm really worried. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPEN???

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks post op and I was struggling to get a bend,  but do you keep doing your exercises every day I know it's hard but no pain no gain and eventually you will get there I go to physiotherapy three times a week using crosstraining machine and a bike And the other exercises and my bend is well over 100 so just keep going it's very early days for you 

• Posted

I am 5 months post op and still can't get a full rotation on a bike

• Posted

I have just ordered a mini exercise bike, so I can put it under my desk at work and use it while at work and also can use it when sitting watching tv at night
    • Posted

Hello! I could not get a full rotation when I first tried at my physical therapy at 4 weeks post. Later that same week the PT recommended that I try to pedal backwards first as that motion is easier, and it worked! After a little back peddling, I was able to pedal forward! I was very excited as bicycle riding is my favorite exercise! As I grew stronger on the stationary bike at about 7-8 weeks post I tried to pedal my street bike. That was a bit different and I struggled at first but I stuck with it. Now at 13 weeks post I can ride my street bike a few miles. Keep trying. It takes time.
  • Posted

Feather, are you getting pressure from your PT, that your bend needs to be better? I don't remember where I was at three weeks (I'm now 22 months post op), but I'm sure I wasn't where I am today. I do know I was at about 125 degrees by 6 weeks. How often are you doing your exercises? One that I still swear by was sitting on my bed, legs out straight in front of me. I'd pull them in (I had both knees replaced on the same day) so there was a bend happening, one that was comfortable, but on the edge of discomfort. Then, I'd pull it in a tad bit more and count to 10. I'd repeat this two more times, pulling it in a tad bit more. Having held it usually stretched it enough that I could pull it a little more. Each time, counting to 10. Then I would slide it back to that place of comfort ant hold it for a little bit before lowering my knees back down.

• Posted

Doctor just keep saying I need to be able to bend "back a lot more already.I'm swelling a lot more now and I feel like I'm pushing my self yet it won't bend.

• Posted

I am nearly 6 months post op and my knee feels like is it constantly in a brace and although I don't get pain around the knee itself in pain down the right side - has a right knee done

• Posted

The swelling is completely normal, and will be for a very long time. I'd mentioned (above) the exercise I did while in bed. What I didn't mention was that I found lounging in the bed more comfortable as my living room furniture just felt too low and difficult for me to initially get in and out of. The bed was perfect for me. I kept all my exercise tools right there, alternated between flexing and bending, hanging legs over the side, did extensions there and while laying would lift, bends, etc.

Just make sure you aren't pushing yourself too much. I iced and elevated all the time. Before my pt sessions, whether with my PT or on my own, I rested well first. I iced before and after. Here's something from a website: Ice can be a major component of injury treatment. By constricting blood vessels after application, ice is an effective way to reduce and even prevent inflammation immediately following an injury. Cold therapy can also leave the joint more mobile and enhance manual therapy. Although it’s difficult to nail down the most effective protocol, applying cold packs to inflamed areas has been shown to significantly reduce swelling in soft tissue injuries.

There are some conflicting views on heat. Some say it's okay after a few weeks, others say not before 6 weeks. I was so tight in the back of my knees (and not swollen, skin tight, but my ligaments etc). Heat brought relief. So I would put a heating pad (or water bottle) under my knee and then have ice on the top - at the same time. It seemed to help loosen things up in the back. And I didn't have any ill effects.

• Posted

I had TKR on both in Jan and then in April. Knee one gets 80-90 bend while the other gets around 90-95. Surgeon says I build scar tissue quicker than most and that I won't ever get much more than that.

Said I should keep doing exercises but it wouldn't get much better than that.

I did pt on both for two months each. Had manipulation done on both with no great success.

I do water therapy and exercises and reclining bike. Wake up stiff, painful if I stand around for long like in a store line. Haven't had and meds for the last week. A twinge of pain now and then but mostly just low level throbs, much less than before surgery. The worst pain though is after sitting for any length of time. Takes about 30 seconds to adapt to the shooting pain and then I can start walking. Very hard getting out of almost and sitting position. Arm muscles are getting strong. Lol.

Can't bend knees/legs back far enough to get up on their own. Always have to push myself upwards.

I'll keep doing exercises periodically but all I seem to be doing is maintaining what I have.

Anyone else have hard scar tissue? Anything help break it up after months of healing.

I know lots of folks on here with stories of eventual success, I'm not one of them.

For me I would have rather not had the TKR, I could deal with the pain using drugs, get down on the floor AND get back up, and rise out of a chair with little difficulty.

Just me.

Don

• Posted

Thanks for your replays, I do exercise everyday 3 times a day.my insurance pays 2 times a week PT.

I know it's a long road.I just thought at almost 4 weeks my bend would be better and the pain..goING to PT today I will post my progress when I get home thank you for your support

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.