Knee surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

i am five weeks after my knee surgery, still have a lot of pain on sides of knee. At night, it gets terrible. I do my therapy every day, I bend to110 according to my therapist, yet within minutes after,  I still have a hard time to bend my knee. It seems to get back to the original stiff knee. Any suggestions on what to do 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It's probably still swollen, that prevents you from bending it far, but I am no expert, five weeks is not very long.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm almost 4 weeks, and about the same as you. My Physio says to push the bend, but afterwards I'm two steps backwards!  If I don't get in exactly the right position at night I'm in pain for hours. Knee still very swollen and stiff.   When does it get better?!!!!    Just watching people walking about is torture, it feels like I've been disabled!!   Best wishes
  • Posted

I am a little over 5 weeks and after therapy into the next day I feel very stiff. The one side of my knee hurts more at night and even during the stretches. I have two pillows to lay on my side. One in between both legs and the other to rest my foot on. I also take aleve a few hours before bed. I am told this gets better. It is hard to believe at times, but we can do it.
  • Posted

Hi

I am almost 14 weeks post op and I still have bad stiffness which isn't getting better inspite of all exercises I think it's as everyone says we are all different and recovery varies between us so hang on in there

• Posted

After nearly ten weeks, I still have the pillow between my knees every night, most nights I am tossing and turning all night.
  • Posted

Petunia ,yes that is normal! at the begining its two steps forward and three back very frustrating i know ,but keep at it .!!! after every time you do your excersises ice ice and rest take meds and start again later if you are getting 110 at 5wks good for you and if you progress this way you could get to 120 or more which would be fantastic and as others said swelling does hinder the bend thats why ice is so important .the fact its going back to being stiff after the 110 bend is because it is reacting to being pushed and it knows it hurts but try to work through the pain while your doing it but be kind to yourself after with eleveating it icing and rest 5wks is nothing when you think about the healing going on inside bone/tendons/muscles they are all coping with this huge op and its the biggest op you probably will ever have .good luck you are doing great x
  • Posted

Try changing the exercises that you do, bending and flexing one day, strengthening another day, cycling on another day. Etc.  Just don't forget to rest and elevate.  Don't do any exercises at night, when you go to bed use a heat pad or wheatie ( you don't get that cold clammy feeling). Don't stress over your bend, as your knee gets stronger. When you wake in the morning, before getting up try straightening and tightening your muscles for a while then as you get out of bed, slide your legs off the side of the bed before getting up, you may find the bend a little easier.

go easy on yourself.  Praise yourself often, each day you will achieve something more than you did that day before.

• Posted

Hi petunia. I think we are all the same. Manage the bend and then the joint stiffens and swells again.I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op for left TKR but I know that you and I will get there as I am 7 months right PKR and that knee is great with a good range of movement. Good luck with the recovery

• Posted

Hi Petunia!

I asked my doctor at my one month check-up about MY side-of-the -knee pain. He told me that he needed to do some repairs in those areas. He also said that the knee replacement surgery process "comes with a lot of banging and pounding", so trauma to all tissues involved can cause pain. He seemed to be assured that all was within normal limits for one month post-op.

The inside of each KNEE (where knees touch as I am standing or when my legs are together) WILL hurt even now, nearly a year later from time to time. We were shopping for about five hours yesterday, and it rained today, so I experienced pain from those areas when I woke up today. I have found that simple stretching, walking and hydrating sufficiently as well as a couple Ibuprofen is a big help.

You are definitely not alone when it comes to weird pain coming from out of nowhere! It seems to go with the territory of knee replacements!

Stiffness is apparently also a part of the knee replacement experience. I am stiff if I am in any one position very long. I move around A LOT which seems to help. Keeping moving whether sitting or standing will prevent the stiffness from taking hold. Upon waking, I stretch A LOT before I ever get out of bed.

Hope these ideas and comments help!

• Posted

Give yourself time, you are doing very well for so early in your rehab. Keep icing, do the exercises and take your meds. I am six months post op and am pleasantly surprised that improvement is still happening. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.