Knee surgery new by

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm about to have knee surgery (TKR) next week and admit it's a bit scary when I read other people's posts and the pain they are in plus the time it appears to take to come right.  I'm 65 and reasonably fit as I have a block of 15 acres with quite a few animals on it.  Luckily my partner is able to keep an eye on things but I'm worried about the time it takes to get back to normal.  I'm going into this with not much idea of what it entails.  I live in the South Island of New Zealand. 

Any tips people can offer to make this journey better are appreciated.  I realise though it's something I will have to grit my teeth over and just go through it! No choice!!!!

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't worry about the surgery , have a spinal anaesthetic with sedation rather than a general , initial recovery is better . After do your physio and exercise as often as possible with over doing it . Use your medication to control pain , don't wait until the pain gets severe . Ice the knee . Moisturise and massage your knee and scar . Don't judge your progress by the progress of others , everyone is different . Recovery is not a race , it takes as long as it takes , you will have good and bad days  but you will get there in the end . It's 19½ and 17½ years since I had my knees done and I have had no problems . 

• Posted

Well that's good to hear David.  Thanks.   I had the spinal and sedation when I had my right hip done.  Can't remember a thing as the surgeon said it would be and definitely think it's better to go that way.  

• Posted

I have had a total knee replacement - two weeks today.  My physio had said my knee is not bending enough.  There seems to be a muscle just above my knee that is very unhappy.  She has advised me to get on to stronger painkillers to enable me to push the knee bending more (and her as well! ).  My GP has prescribed co-codamol and advised we need to get this into my system for a couple of days and keep it up to enable my knee to be manipulated more.  Any views on this?  Feeling really frustrated and upset as I have been working so hard on it. 
  • Posted

I have had two TKR's, 8 years apart. Completely different experiences. At 15 weeks post-op on my most recent, I am now feeling a dim memory of the struggle of the first few weeks. I pretty much have resumed my life and although there is discomfort at times, it is not pain like I experienced prior to having the surgery. Just remember that there is the other side after surgery and doing the work to get there is well worth it! I know some people have quite a miserable time and while there were many days I merely endured, suffered with discouragement, and sleepless nights... I have never regretted it. I know I am probably one of the more fortunate survivors. As stated, your journey will be unique. I found the forum to be helpful and the support is awesome! Good luck!

• Posted

Look up the posts and observations of Chico Marx.

Chico and I have both been through many surgeries. Chico gives you a tutorial of expectations all with a touch of Italian humor and humor us something you will need. Others will thrown in their own experience and the ups and downs. Is this a rough go...of course it is but in the end you will be much better off. Pain, of course. After all they are dismembering and and reattaching a limb. I don't know anyone in their right mind that's gone into it without fear but you will find its a process and that process can't be short circuited or eliminated. Talk, ask question, read the same questions. That's all ok. We are are veterans of this and know where you're coming from. Suddenly, world wide strangers are now next door neighbors.

BTW....I'm from the heartland if the US

• Posted

You will gave ain  no doubt about it . One thing that got me through it is I had ice machine ice was my best friend or use it elevated hear what your therapist tells you would be a few weeks and will feel a little bit better 
  • Posted

One good thing , you have this forum to visit and ask for advise . It wasn't here when I had my knees done  unfortunately . You should find lots of help and good advise here , we have all been there done that and got the tee shirt . Nearly 20 years since my first TKR , still ok and appears to be problem free , but if in the future I need a revision I will go for it . 

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I am 71 and 2 weeks post op tkr... luckily I found this forum that has almost alleviated most of my fears.  There were and still are many questions, but most answers are found by these great people!

For me, the really tough days were the first 8-9, the past few days are showing improvement.  Very sore, using my cane, icing every chance I get with elevation.  Saw my surgeon today to take off bandage and check my bending... he said all was good.  Start PT In 2 days, but was told my surgeon not to massage or use creams on my knee.  Also said to do PT as often I I feel, but not till it hurts.

Starting to get a little cabin fever, but know that lots of rest is needed for a good recuperation.  I am fortunate to have a great husband that does the cooking, etc. but I still make myself get up and do a few things too.

Good luck with your surgery, will keep you in my prayers!

Blessings, 

Cherry🍒

• Posted

I'm 67 and just had bilateral knee replacement 34 days and I'm driving right leg has a little pain in back but gets better EVERYDAY right leg feels great everyone is different exercise as often as you can when you get home and get off pain meds FAST !!!!

• Posted

Don't be worried...trust the surgeon, their team and the hospital and think positive thoughts. Pain can be managed very well with care, and apart from a few hours now and again , between medications, mine was not a problem. I used a TENS machine which was not expensive and helped a lot during the first couple of weeks, which is the hardest time. There is pain, but it is a lot easier to bear knowing it is comparatively short term. Better than deterioration pain and disability of osteoarthritis! The pain needs to be approached in a completely different attitude. It is simply the body healing. Sounds odd, but best advice I can offer is resolve to love and help your knee and whole body as much as possible. The pain is just part of the process. And as I have said, can be well controlled to the greater part. If not controlled, then that is when you need to demand that it is. Also, don't hold back on the pain medications, however you normally feel about taking pills! After a few weeks many people start to taper off their medications. Often around three months there is no need for pain relief...this does vary of course from person to person.

• Posted

I am now 11 weeks post op and doing well.  The first few weeks were uncomfortable and difficult. Don't overdo it or push yourself too hard physically.  Do the exercises faithfully as prescribed by your therapist.  I live in the US and came straight home from the hospital with family caring for me.  My physical therapy started while I was still in the hospital.  I had in home therapy for 4 weeks 3 days a week.  I am still doing outpatient therapy 3 days a week.  I think the key to a successful recovery is to follow thru on the therapy.  I took pain meds for 5 weeks and went from 6 tramadol a day down to 2 when I stopped taking them.  Absolutely use them as needed and when you feel you are at a point where you can do without them, gradually taper off them.  DON'T quit them cold turkey. I experienced extreme fatigue, anxiety and lack of sleep for several weeks, but finally turned the corner. This is not a race to recover, but a gradual process.  Don't compare your recovery to anyone else.  We all heal differently.  This was my first TKR and dr says if I take care of my other knee by exercising (particularly strengthening the quad muscles) and losing weight I will not need a TKR on that knee.  Be particularly careful to avoid falling.  Use a walker or cane for support as long as you need.  Best of luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.