knee swelling up

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys,

went to physio yesterday for an hour and im 4 weeks post op,today my knee is very swollen will this be ok,and whats the best thing to do,its hasnt been this swollen before..thanks

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you overdid it! Are you still on anti- inflammatories? If not, I would take some.You need to rest today! Sit with your feet up as much as possible and apply ice frequently.  Take it easy for a few days!

Good luck.

• Posted

i agree polly,yes have been doing that..just never been this bad before..thanks
  • Posted

Hiya Lou

Its possible that you may have overdone it at the physio.

Rest,Ice and pain relief and you should see the difference, if it continues and you are worried then go and have a chat with your doc.

Hope it gets better soon

Gillian

• Posted

Glad your going to physico and work hard. Ice and raise your leg and rest. Ice will be your best friend. I use 3 cups of water and 1 cup of rubbing alcohol in a double bagged zip lock bag, when you freeze it the ice will stay plyable and you can get reusing it
  • Posted

An hour Physio is bound to lead to swelling. First take anti inflammatory and pain killers an hour before the Physio. Ice every half hour afterwards. The next day elevate and ice, rest but don't let it get stiff. Gentle movement and massage. Should be okay tomorrow. Mine gets like that even now if I overdo swimming or gym. At least you'll be prepared next time. Don't plan to do anything to strenuous the day after. It will only be for a few weeks. Bet it looks like a football!!
    • Posted

Oh god caroline it sure does,i was really panicking earlier as i thought i had done some real damage..its not painful at all,just really swollen,im hoping tomorrow it might be a bit better,have just done very gentle exercise today,as i dont want to make it worse....sometimes i need to remember im only 4 weeks post op x
    • Posted

True it takes a lot more than four weeks to settle. Hope you have a decent night.
  • Posted

Rest,Ice and walk a little, in time it will be ok.
  • Posted

THis happens to the best of us. Best thing to do is Ice, rest, and walk a little. At over 3 months PO my knee still tends to swell when I've done too much. TKR take a long time to 'get back to normal'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.