Kneecap compression and laxity- causes and exercise/stretch to help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Old injury now but having kneecap compressing into femur and pain with any squatting/bending of knee.

The bad knee has more kneecap laxity in all positions- meaning I can passively move it around more than the other knee- I can move it more toward the lateral side especially. This is measured when tention is equal on both sides to eliminate error. 

All this affects my walking too.

What muscle(s) would cause this?

I can stretch my rectus femoris all the way into my glutes while standing, but I feel kneecap pain as if the patella is not free, or where it should be. 

I've done everything for two years exercise and stretchwise. I also feel a blocking sensation and/or resistance

trying to extend my knee while standing, but PT's tell me I am at -10 extension, yet I cannot "lock out" and relax my knee

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My 1st question always, are you under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who has done not only xrays but an mri. Without proper diagnosis you can't possibly be getting the right treatment unless it happens by accident.
    • Posted

Was under the care of:

2 orthos

1 chiro- one time

massage therapist- 3 times

a few general care docs for referrals

2 PT's

1 Personal Trainer

------------------------------

2 MRIs- clean ("as good as it gets" from one ortho)

had 2 radiologists and 2 orthos check MRI out, and a few others.

1 Ultrasound- clean (except bicep femorous tendonitis- non issue really)

2 X-Rays- clean

Last 14 months been on my own working at gym. Was doing better (still much weakness at end of day) until used a leg curl and leg entension machine on vacation, which is slightly different from what I used at my local gym. Then kneecap went beserk starting around 8 hours later after exercise. Something set it off whether kneecap itself or exercise affect on muscles. 

• Posted

Every time I have one of these backsets I always go back to the basics of ice, elevation and rest till things improve.
    • Posted

I'm having problem with muscles too, whether it is due to the knee or causing all of this. I don't think rest will help as my muscles have wasted while resting. It's a pretty frustrating issue considering my sister and mom have badterrible knees per mri and I was a lot worse off, especially at my peak being on crutches. Gotta love modern mediine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.