Kneecap pain after dislocation - Dr is wrong?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I recently partially dislocated my knee while hiking. There was a pop, and tons of pain. After this happend the pain continued radiating from behind my kneecap whenever I walked down stairs or kicked towards something. An MRI was done and the Ortho who looked at it told me I had a "stress fracture" in the patella. I also have a copy of the MRI and all I can see is the cartilage of the patella looks damaged which would make more sense. I'm working to get a second opinion from another Ortho but I figured I'd post here as well to get some opinions. What do you think?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Defintely get a second opinion - I broke my patella 10 months ago and I can relate to the pain radiating from behind your kneecap! Was your knee put in a brace?
    • Posted

Thanks for the opinion. looking at the damaged cartilage in the MRI has me worried that using it will make it worse. I'm a very active person, I run daily, hike on weekends on rugged terrain. So my knees are a big part of my life.

I was put in brace but ended up removing it after a week. It feels much stronger now with less pain but the feeling of instability is still there when I walk down stairs or down a graded hill.

• Posted

You have what seems to be the same symptoms as me but I have a 2.5 year old full knee replacement, which was fine. Just had a new full hip replacement and the strain on my knee it just popped like you and same agony etc. I've been stuck at home for 8 weeks hardly able to walk at all! My consultant Took an X-Ray said prosthesis ok(?) and its hamstring , tendons , ligaments etc. Having Scan and steroid jab in joint Monday & we'll see . I still think something has gone in my new knee cap coz I feel it move!!

Hope you'll be ok quicker than me xxx

• Posted

Let me know how you go with your steriod shot - I had one 6 months ago and didn't get much rellief.

• Posted

Oh don't say that 😩😩😩I've had 2 in my bum for bursitis both were good!! Fingers xd!!
  • Posted

I'm my area mri's are read by a radiologist and handed over to the surgeon. (as an example, late afternoon tests are sent to a service in Hawii so they can be back in the local docs hands early a.m. Before putting yourself through an unnecessary delay you might ask who and where the tests are read and ask for another radiologists opinion
  • Posted

this sounds exactly like me but I only get the pain when it was swollen and once it is subsided, my motion is restored and I feel pretty good/stable. Do you have any loose body floating around? Could be something chipped from the impact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.