Knees down Mother Brown!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Joking apart - it will be 11 weeks this coming Saturday that like a lamb to the slaughter i undertook to have TKR

and except for a few good days at the beginning which must have been to do with the anaesthetic- I have slowly deteriorated- this morning I went to Marks and Spencer and had to use a crutch. Bought one thing and had to go and sit down in their cafe feeling really poorly. It's pointless going to my own doctor because he just wants a to send me to A&E which are practically closed and all they want to do is X-Ray the knee - what for??

I had it done NHS Direct at a private hospital and of course their attitude is also go to your own doctor or A&E.

I can't seem to get the measure of how I'm recovering. I just feel so run-down - anybody throw some light on this please.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mary, that is not in, the hospital you had your operation carried out in has responsibility for follow up if there is a problem, have you had your follow up with the consultant yet and how did he find the knee. upon discharge were you given any contact details to ring if there were any problems. I had a problem last week and my gp got in touch with hospital and it was sorted within 2 hours. Hope you soon get sorted.
    • Posted

Given nothing when I was discharged- remember crying down the phone with excruciating pain to a nurse when I was about 4weeks post op.

She told me to come in which I did the next day and nobody knew anything about it.

All they did was send the anathetist to me and he wrote out the times for me to take the painkillers.

I have since seen the consultant but all he says is it takes time. When I mentioned my painful foot to him which has started since the op and also the pain in my lower back - he implies I have to see my own GP or A&E because it could be arthritis- the arthritis was only in my right knee - why should it suddenly appear in my foot and lower back.

• Posted

My other knee is giving me a few problems since op but I have been told it is because i am using it more, keep taking the pain killers regularly to keep on top of the pain, it is easier to stay on top of pain than reduce the pain when it gets really bad. Keep using the crutch, as long as you need it and go and get it x-rayed just to ensure everything is as it should be. Use ice too, I never thought I ould use it as much as i have since op. I hope you get some relief and keep me posted. x
  • Posted

It's tough. The only way I have found to break through the tiredness n pain is through sticking to the exercise plan everyday. I've never been one to be a exercise everyday person however now I see this will have to be my path if I want this darn knee to heal.  Push through it girl. If u work on it everyday. I'm sure you'll see progress. There are apps out there that will help you with your exercise and thoughts on positive read in force ment. Try Headspace relaxation app. I find I have a lot of anxiety n fear of pt. but now that I am in outpatient they are giving me different strategies to push thru the bend. Good luck
  • Posted

Once you have had the operation, you come under the direction of your doctor. Regardless of whether you went private or NHS.  The procedure is still the same. There is no point in keeping you in hospital, the theory is one recovers better at home in comfortable surroundings + you have to get used to doing things yourself, instead of letting the nursing staff wait on you!

I'm sure I have asked before... What meds are you taking??

11 weeks and using a crutch is fine, try a walking stick, get one that is the right height for you (there is no such thing as one height fits all)  it is much better for you.

If your doctor wants you to go to A&E and have an x-ray why dont you go?  It is just to check that the join is ok. Surely that will give you peace of mind.

The measure of your recovery is that you are depressed, you are in pain and the cold weather is not helping.

Go to your doctor and get them to prescribe strong painkillers (and maybe some antidepressants, you don't need to take them for long, just enough to buck you up). This is not some routine surgery you have had.  This is serious and you need some serious medication to cope with the pain of your bones knitting toether, the nerve ends rejoining and everything else that has been tampered with settle down.  The more you walk around the way you are, the longer it will take for you to recover.  It is not fun being in your situation, but you can, to a degree, help yourself.

You need to be positive, if you cannot do this by yourself, then get some help, it is no use talking about it and reminding yourself that you are in pain. You kow that already.  Go to the doctors, tell them to are in agony and you're finding it hard to cope,  there is nothing wrong in admitting this.  Get a prescription, run a hot bath with smellies in, sit back and relax, get a good nights sleep and start afresh in the morning.  Your doctor can not help you if, you dont do as they ask, and, you don't tell them how much pain you are in.  If push comes to shove wear a brace, just don't wear it all the time as that will defeat the purpose of recovery.

You have another 41 weeks to go before you will be 110% recovered.  Give yourself a break, go see the doctor, have the x-ray, it doesn't have to be at one of the main hospitals, some of the smaller old style hospitals have x-ray departments and lesser waiting times

• Posted

Poor you mary its debbie who had my tkr 2 days before you! Im with you! I really think progress slows down! Iv just been to physio and have been told off for not using my crutch. Apparantly walking badly not only gives us pain elsewhere but hinders our knee recovery. He said if i dont use my crutch i wil stay in the habit of walking badly and it wil hinder the healing! So please use your crutch and make it easy on yourself.

You are probably having a bad week you have probably caught a virus but i would perhaps go to dr if you think you have or else it will stop you improving! Keep your chin up mines down to! X

• Posted

Tks Debbie

Things at home are not to great for recovery.

Both my daughter and 16/yr old granddaughter think I should be recovered after six weeks.

They won't even get me a drink and it's my home.

It was like that before I had it done. Now I feel extremely vulnerable.

I think I have caught a virus but it's a bad time to be sick with the doctors strike etc.

Will keep you posted xx

• Posted

Oh mary iv had that comment said to me to! 6 wks god as if! Its so invasive no one who hasnt had this knows what its like love. My mum in law said to me i should of been back to normal by 6 wks! I feel like im taking a step back not forward!
    • Posted

I agree with both of you: debbie and mary, my children  think now i am 6 weeks should be back to normal....why can't you do it I was asked, all 3 (grown up but still at home) not happy when their dad still doing things and asks them to help. Their answer is mum at home all day. I know I am doing wee things but getting quite cross at their laziness....sorry rant over, they do not realise takes up to 2 years to be fully recovered.
    • Posted

Aw bless you sue! How long since your op? We wil win this hard battle in the end!
    • Posted

6 weeks Debbie, youngest (age 21)just home and where is dinner? exclaim

Yes we will win it debbie, I can't believe the difference from before surgery, getting stronger daily but get tired very easily and roll on sleeping a full night...bliss x 

• Posted

Still go to the doctors........ Get the medication, print off all the information regarding knee replacements, all the gory bits as well and more especially the post op details, give them to your family (or email them) then go on strike!  Do nothing, no cooking, no washing, no washing dishes.  I mean nothing.  Just do for yourself.  Wear make-up round the house, even if you don't go out, wear perfume, doc your hair, sing to yourself. What does that achieve.  It shows your family the true meaning of selfishness.  Yes, I have been there too.  Very hard and disheartening to come down stairs after a grotty nights sleep to find last nights dishes still in the sink!  Even worse to come home from work and STILL see them there. Leave them, just do your own, when asked why you are doing this. Tell them, you have just enough strength to look after yourself and even then you are struggling.  Be brutal.  Then leave them to it.  Right now they are in shock, how dare you go and have an operation and leave them to fend for themselves.  How dare you be weak and vulnerable, you are mum, you are supposed to be strong, you are supposed to look after the house and home on one leg, single-handedly!!!  Yup, you are paying for being human and it sucks. This is not the way you raised them yet here they are.  So go to their level.  There are loads of one person meals. Wash up after yourself. Better still, force yourself to get out of the house, go shopping. If your M&S has a restaurant, go treat yourself to a meal. Then you won't have to cook when you get home. They will soon get the message, hopefully an apology too.

You cannot let your family rule your life in such a way that you can no longer cope.  The pain you are in is over powering. Go get the antidepressants and the pain killers, do I sound like I'm nagging?? Yes I am.  Pain is invisible, it not like a period pain or migraine or a sprain from the sports field,  it is long term and if you have had it constant for a period of time it is classed as chronic, and whilst you have to pick yourself up from the depths of depression, you don't have to do it alone.  Get a bundle of books, magazines, if you have a tv in your bedroom; get some DVDs,  a box of wine and snacks, and slum it in the bedroom.  You have not caught a virus, you are at the end of your tether.  If you are able to drive, go somewhere peaceful, for me it's the beach(better still if it's stormy) if there is one within reasonable distance to you, go, the ozones will do wonders for you, better than any tonic. If you have to use both crutches, do so. Forget the hospital doctors strike, your own GP should be trained and wise enough to recognise someone struggling. But on the other hand you do have to tell them everything.  Tell them you cannot cope at home and you have a family that is selfishly dependant on you, the doctor will not be too impressed to hear that, but they are there to help. They took an oath when they qualified, so hold them to it.  It's no good demanding anything, they'll just put you down as a difficult patient. But if you have to crawl there on your hands and knees do so! 

You still have to retain a sense of strength somewhere as you will not recover. Depression is also a side effect of the operation, not everyone suffers, you are. There are most probably times when you think the tears won't stop, they will.   You can fight it!  Rant as much as you like, if it make you feel better, then good.  But fight you must.  You know you are not alone, even when you are lonely.  You have already made the first step.  Now keep going, just never ever think you wish you hadn't gone through with the operation.  You have a new lease of life, make it work for you

• Posted

Wow, well said! 

This is forum is our very own Group Therapy.  

• Posted

I know I sound like a bit of a harpy, but, sometime I wish the medical people would be more open with people when it comes to the after effects of this type of operation,  yes we need it, but the after fallout can be massive.  We think we have a new knee and thats the end of it, business as normal.  I am  lucky(ish), I have a great doctor and a pretty good pain management team behind me if needed.  I just can't understand why others can't have the same.  But thank you for your kind words
    • Posted

U always have such inspiring words Sue. I read these a lot, you have responded to me as well, the Anxious  Mkhp girl. 5.5 weeks in , may not be where I'm supposed to be, but each day shows more progress, thanks, the girl fro USA Mkhp or kathy 
    • Posted

Oh sueisbel I love this, very well said, i love this.....mum is going on strike from now!!!! x
    • Posted

Stay strong. Just because we are adults, doesn't mean we can't play the kids at their own game.  Have fun and start enjoying yourself x
    • Posted

Hi Kathy, I am glad I was of help. Always think of what you have achieved and not what you can't do.  Use a stick if you have to, you still have to use those muscles so there is no escape. It also comes in handy getting those hard to reach things from the top shelf in the supermarket.  I hope you are feeling better and more confident.

Thank you for your kind words x

• Posted

Susibell

If I pay you will you come to my house and tell it as it is to my daughter and granddaughter

I just wish you were here.xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.