Knees down Mother Brown!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Joking apart - it will be 11 weeks this coming Saturday that like a lamb to the slaughter i undertook to have TKR

and except for a few good days at the beginning which must have been to do with the anaesthetic- I have slowly deteriorated- this morning I went to Marks and Spencer and had to use a crutch. Bought one thing and had to go and sit down in their cafe feeling really poorly. It's pointless going to my own doctor because he just wants a to send me to A&E which are practically closed and all they want to do is X-Ray the knee - what for??

I had it done NHS Direct at a private hospital and of course their attitude is also go to your own doctor or A&E.

I can't seem to get the measure of how I'm recovering. I just feel so run-down - anybody throw some light on this please.

1 like, 25 replies

Report / Delete

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Familiar.....my tkr dr dismissed me and my demands for additional PT after 8 weeks. Told me to see my p care dr for any more meds, etc. He said the surgery was a success and to continue doing the exercise on the instructions he provided..I DID see my priamary care dr and after lenghtly discussion, he wrote a RX for outpatient. I guess it's true that everythng happens for a reason....in my case, the otpatient PT is getting the job done.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Once your operation is over, you are no longer under the surgeon. Think of it like a warranty on an appliance.  Once the warranty expires it is no longer any interest to the manufacturer.  Harsh I know, but realistically if they looked after every TKR patient, they would never get time to operate on other patients.  Your doctor now has the responsibility for as long as you need them. You don't really need the extra physio therapy as you have been shown what to do.  Again, if they kept everyone on long term; think of the waiting list.  It is far better for you to take charge of your therapy, you can be as creative as you like, you know your limitations, just remember to push now and then. As for painkillers, they are there to kill the pain, if you are in pain it will hinder your recovery.  No doctor wants that. Don't feel you are weak minded by relying on pills. You will know when you no longer need them, you will know when it's time to ease off, but at the same time, be strong enough to take them to kill the pain.

it may seem as if you have been discarded, but think again, if there was something wrong, you would not have been discharged and you would still be under the care of your surgeon.  To all intents and purposes you have your life back, you just need to get a little stronger before running around like a crazy person doing everything nineteen to the dozen because you think things should have been done yesterday.  You will get there, you just need time and patience 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well it sounds as if you are doing far too much! Going to m and s was a drive then a walk? I know going into my town is something I look forward to doing one day but not until I am a heck of a lot stronger.

it also sounds like your body is telling you the same thing hence having to sit down and not feeling great, please listen to your body, you have been through a huge trauma and the whole body takes time to recover not just your knee! Take it easy! Xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Physical Therapy is such an important part of this recovery both mentally and physically.  It is their job to track your progress, keep you motivated and on track.  I am down to twice a week now (5wksPO) and my therapist told me today she will request a few more than the 20 visits that my insurance entitles me to. I dont know how anyone would do this without this kind of support.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How are you eating and drinking? Proper nutrition (although very few really feel like eating muchfor awhile) and hydration are very important. You may be trying to do too much and having set backs because of it. Try planning your day so you get plenty of rest. A tired, dehydrated body just doesnt heal as fast as one that is pampered a bit. I think maybe a talk with your primary care Dr. Might be more benficial than dealing with the surgeon at this time. The gps can sort out a number of issues and make recommendations. You may be having a litle depression, which isn't unusual, as many going through this trauma can attest to.

Stay with us and well do everything we can to give you support.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Mary

So sorry to hear about your struggle!  I also had terrible pain in my lower back, hip and foot after the operation that I didn't have before.  X-rays revealed arthritis in the lower back and a pinched nerve that caused muscle spasm that caused the pain in my hip and foot.  Chances are good that if you have arthritis in your knee you could have it in other parts of your body as well.   I had intensive physiotherapy for a week with a follow-up the next week that helped to reduce the muscle spasm and the pain is much better now.  Have your back checked out, it might be worth your while.  Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up