Labrynthitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have suffered from labrynthitis on and off for several years. The symptoms come on so quickly, the last time was in work and I couldn't focus enough to get to the toilet. I have had MRI and been prescribed prochloroperazine. To get to the point, how do other people cope with sudden onset of symptoms? I was so embaressed in worksad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should not be embarrassed, it is something you have no control over and it is nothing to be ashamed of.  I cope by doing the best I can on the days when I am feeling well and by ensuring that those who need to know understand that sometimes things will happen that I have no control over.  All the best. Christine
  • Posted

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! I would sit quietly until things eased off a little.x
  • Posted

Hi Mags,  Ben here.

I wish you wouldn't feel embarrassed about your condition when it hits.  Perhaps you can go to the medical area, person, department and ask them to research the condition and present a memo for the rest of your co-worker to read.  I have not worked since I came down with it, but I know that where I work two things are for sure:

1).  Almost no one has even heard of my problem.

2).  If my company were to post a memo, the whole place would be sympathetic to the problem in the future and keep an eye out for symptoms and help out if they see it.

Because of the nature of the place where I work, safety is really stressed.  It may sound like a bit much to believe, but if you think about it, the company has a considerable investment in each worker, so it is to there advantage to keep us healthy and safe.  We have notices quite frequently telling us about stroke, heart-attack and unhealthy life style.  Maybe I am sold on my company, but I was there and observed one diabetic dizzy spell, and another time a co-worker had a seizure, and everyone was 100% invested in their safety and helped to make sure that those individuals were sort of looked after later to keep them safe.  

So, I would ask the medical people to help bring awareness to this affliction so that everyone knows what is going on if it hits again.   People are normally very willing to help each other if they know what's going on.

My 2 cents worth.

Ben 

• Posted

Thank you all, mad a horrible bout just before Christmas and felt a bit wobbly last night. I am going to try and raise awareness in worksmile
  • Posted

Hi Mags,i like you are at the end of my tether. 18months ago i suddenly was really dizzy,falling over couldn't even move my head without being sick,i walked as if i was drunk,if i went out someone had to come with me,i still have to have someone with me when i go out.Consultant said vertigo,then labrynthitis,had mri but medication did nothing for me.He said i might have this for the rest of my life.for the past couple of months it has not been so bad but yesterday it has come back with a vengence,i really feel nobody cares.I'm sorry Mags not what you want to hear but now i know i'm not alone.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

i hope you are feeling a wee bit better. I had gone months without having a bout. I recently had MRI which showed nothing, which was positive. I think like you my confidence has taken a knock. Every time I get a wee wobble I am scared it will go full blown. I find that especially in work, no one has heard of this condition, I think they have seen it now! I really hope you begin to feel better, I can go for a good few months and be fine, I don't go swimming and try to avoid looking up or turning round too quickly. You are not alone xxxxx

• Posted

Hi I've been suffering for the last week & half with feeling dizzy, sickness, headache I al so feel spaced out all the time it's so frustrating as I have 2 young children & finding it so hard to deal sad do you every get the spaced out feeling with it? anita

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.