Lack of information as usual ...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies I know I'm still very early in recovery after anterior repair ( day 4 for me ) but exercise wise I have been told nothing ! My consultant made me feel a bit silly when she came round to see me as she signed me off for 4 weeks and said after that I will be fine for everything ! I had to ask her about lifting, driving etc ... I said to her that after my vaginal hysterectomy I was off for 6 weeks so was Concerned at only been given 4 after this op! ? Although the nurse did tell me to go bk to my own doc for a other sick note if still not feeling well , can tell you know I will be taking an extra 2 weeks off ! She told me this op was nothing like my hysterectomy and made it feel like not major surgery at all ? I really can't fault her for the appointments I had before the op and all the information she gave me on my options etc as she was very informative .... But am I wrong in thinking this op is like a hysterectomy ?? It's still going in thru the same place etc , getting pulled about in there , I have lots of scar tissue also , so she doesnt recommend anymore surgery down there ... This is why I need to be on top form with this healing as don't want it to go wrong !! Anyway now am rambling in my bored state of mind , getting back to the question ...I love my walks for exercise , when can I start taking like 1 or 2 mile walks and build them up?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Matron is the best to ask but I would think small walks up to six weeks, I am a bit difrent to you had A&P and are limited at the moment only small walks round the garden
  • Posted

Sarah I think you need to take off as much time as possible because as you have said you may not be able to have further surgery so you need to be absolutely sure everything has healed. An anterior repair is not as complicated as a posterior repair but I wouldn't say it was the same as a hysterectomy however I rarely disagree with a Urogynaecologist. Treat it as major surgery and rest completely for 2 weeks then gradually build up exercise stopping as soon as you feel tired. This has to work sarah so you're right to be cautious x
  • Posted

After my anterior repair & hysterectomy I went back to my office based part-time job after 4 weeks as I was feeling better & getting bored. If I had it done again I would definitely take 6 weeks off. I was very good, no lifting or pulling heavy filing cabinet drawers etc. But even so it really takes it out of you & I've been told it might need "hitching up again" - great!

Have as much rest as you can, gradually increase your walks. DON'T DO TOO MUCH. 😉

• Posted

Hi Sarah,I'm off for 6 weeks ad I'm on my feet for work.if I'm still not strong I'll take 2 more weeks off.I easlk around the garden a few times but that it.I have done nothing for 2 weeks.I've been doing good but have a heavy feeling like something is there, and I think the stitches are starting to heal. I can see a knot Inside the vag😕rest up now hun.xxx
    • Posted

Glad to hear your doing as your told Welshgirl lol ! It's hard isn't it , I've been having good rest breaks watching tv, then going to sit in conservatory and watching daughter play basketball in the garden ( wishing I could go have a shot lol) . Going to get hubby to take me for a short drive tmw , he keeps offering but apart from my daily shower and pottering around the bungalow that's enough for me right now , the thought of doing my hair and looking presentable to go out in public is a big no no right now lol. If anything am more cautious this time and going to be a good girl x
    • Posted

Yes you must!! Me and Gillian have kept each other sane ad well ad the fab

matron!! I think I'm driving her round the bend lol.she loves me really😘

Gill is my sister I never had.I feel I've know her all my life!! That's the positive experience

I've had from here and I'm eternal grateful. Hugs to you hun😘😘😘

• Posted

Aww that is lovely , so nice to be able to come in here and get support ! Xx
    • Posted

Surprisingly not too bad Hun , I haven't had any painkillers today , cut them down yesterday .. Keep getting like an itching sensation in back passage ( very weird seeing as it's a bladder prolapse I had sorted?) , but yes all in all am feeling good , tiredness settling down abit also x
  • Posted

If you are wanting a lot of information, you could buy the book by "Pelvic Floor Recovery" by Sue Croft about recovering from surgery.  I bought it as an Ebook for my kindle and it was 10usd.   It has loads of information about anatomy, how to go to the bathroom correctly, what to expect and what you can do recovering from surgery.  She talks about different exercises at different points in recovery.  She talks about 12 weeks being the point at which maximum fibrosis occurs and has exercises more limited before then.... And then about limits post recovery.

The Australian recommendations were much more conservative than anything I was told.   And, of course, you shouldn't do something that a book says is ok if your doctor said it wasn't.... But that isn't the problem you are having smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.