Lack of understanding at Work with menopause

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies, I wondered if anyone has had success in gaining support at work with menopause symptoms? What they have done or what has happened for them? Or even external legal advice or be in a profession where they are able to give advice on this? After many many months of trials test errors and suffering, i now know without question that it's lack of ventilation that magnifies my issues/ a multitude of debilating symptoms and our office doesn't have enough air flow and the upcoming winter months will be much worse again as heating gets turned up so whenever I'm there within minutes my symptoms become progressively worse. I really need to work from home for 90% of time over winter to lessen my suffering but keep getting asked to be in office more (male dominant sales team) despite explaining time after time how ill i become in office ((i once collapsed in ladies from a full blown panic attack after pushing myself too hard to try and fight the symptoms) I'm still very capable of my job and enjoy it but when I get the symptoms it's almost impossible to do my job.

I wondered if anyone knows what rights we have in this regard ? Thanks very much.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What country are you in? U.K., USA, Australia, Canada, etc.?

In our office, we can bring a fan, which men and women can have. Large or small, makes no difference. The only other thing you can do is to bring a note from your doctor to HR, explaining you need air flow due to menopause symptoms, but without knowing what country you're from, these suggestions may not work.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes sorry i forgot rhis site is global. I'm based in uk london. When i work at home my symptoms are reduced greatly and it is a job that can be done successfully from home. I've tried a fan but it doesn't seem to help much unfortunately...i think I may have an issue with the lighting in office also.

• Posted

In the US there is no such thing as "rights" concerning menopause. I no longer get hot flashes, but when I did I kept a fan at my desk and water with plenty of ice. As for the panic attacks either the doctor gives you anti anxiety meds and you pray to God a lot. They don't care about menopause and how it makes us feel. That's why this forum is here. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi you are so right.!!.its so frustrating when employers don't understand or care, it makes me want to be part of some sort of movement to help woman in this situation! Thanks for replying I appreciate it

• Posted

I know right? Millions of women are going through this, but yet we are expected to carry on as if nothing is happening to us! I've heard women on here say they've had to quit their jobs because they couldn't cope. I'm single with a mortgage and other bills so that's not an option for me. This forum was a Godsend for me.

• Posted

Yes I've been so close to leaving many many times over the past 2 years....ive had to go to great extremes to keep going....yes thank God for this site it's only other women on here going through it that can truly understand....can you imagine if some of us set up our own company run by woman with menopause...theres a thought how lovely would that be x

• Posted

That would be lovely. Time off with no penalty if you were having a rough day. If you come in and have a panic attack feel snappy, there would be a special room to go in. There would be a doctor on site specializing in menopause related issues........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.