Landlord triggering my anxiety and panic attacks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Basically, yesterday morning the landlord just walked into our flat - I was so tired and out of it that I wasn't sure if it was a drem or not. Today, at lunch time, I was in my room on my laptop and heard a knock but, it sounded very distant so I thought it was not on my door. Then I heard a key and thought my flatmate must be home but, it was my landlord - he just walked in whilst saying "hello?" and then I could hear him walking throughout the flat. He came in and out four times and I think he is gone now. 

Due to the nature of my past strange men entering my home uninvited triggered me and I was panicking, I froze and didn't go out and ask him why on earth he was in and out of my flat. In every other home I have been in the landlord gives some notice if they are coming into your home so I'm not sure how normal this is? 

Either way it has thrown me into a right panic, I can't calm down. I keep thinking about all the worst case scenarios and don't think I'll be able to feel relaxed in this flat knowing he may just walk in whenever he wants when we are or are not here! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

*dream 
  • Posted

Are you male or female? I live in the USA and this would never be allowed to happen here. They cannot come in, unannounced. The only time this could happen is in a true emergency. If the building or person was in danger. I would not like that at all.

When you are in there, I would use an extra lock on my door.

• Posted

Yes as Piglets said, get a good strong door bolt or door chain, so when your in, no one can enter key or not. Only take 5 -10 mins to fit, if you get it today this will be a positive way to calm your nerves also. Get someone with the tools and a bit of Diy skill, to do it properly ( no offence ) and this will make you and you property more secure. Good luck
  • Posted

I'm not sure if we're allowed to add locks etc. without asking him first - because we were considering putting locks on our bedroom doors as well. I am almost 100% sure you can't come into the property without letting us know first unless like you said, it is an emergency. Just feel so uncomfortable in my own home! Something definitely needs to be done :S
    • Posted

Your right. Landlords and letting agents have to give 24 hrs notice either verbally or in writing. They are not allowed to just enter the property. You can fit a chain on the door, so when you are home if they do try and enter they cannot gain access. It's not a lock, it would just be for extra security. If you have any other concerns go to citizens advice x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.