Laparoscope hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have surgery this Friday to have hysterectomy. He is doing it laprocopy. Ii want to know what to expect pain wise, how long till u were able to go back to work. My Dr said minimum three weeks but that seems excessive. Really nervous about going pee after surgery. Any advice or your experience is appreciated.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

By laparoscopy I assume you mean keyhole if that the case I had that eight weeks ago and within two weeks I very rarely had any pain as for going back to work it depends on your job I'm a courier so when I go back to work it will be nearly ten weeks I've been off work and as for having a wee after its not a problem .good luck on Friday 
    • Posted

Yes that is what I meant. I work in a office and sit all day. He says I have to at least take three weeks but I just don't think I will need that long. Did u have to stay in hospital and how did u feel when u got out of surgery
    • Posted

I stayed in hospital for two nights and three days but if your doctor says three weeks that's what you should take they know what they're talking about I had a problem with the stitches not dissolving and had to have them cut off but the one in the belly button was awkward to get to probably the reason you were told three weeks is to do with driving just see how you go after the operation and take it easy it's still a major operation 
    • Posted

One other thing I forgot to ask are you having a spinal block as well as normal anesetic because I did you will probably have a catheter and a pack in which is bit like a giant tampon
  • Posted

Are you doing it vagionally? Not through the abdomen? 
    • Posted

They r doing the key hole with the three small incisons in stomach.
    • Posted

That's what I had eight weeks ago it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be 
  • Posted

Hi. Just remember that the outside stitches heal quicker than inside ones so dont try and rush things and end up worse off. I think I'm right in saying they take it out through small cut in vagina so you Dont want to tear stitches there. Mines in 2 weeks and I've been told up to 12 weeks but I am have bso too. Good luck for Friday.
  • Posted

Hi there. I believe you had surgery yesterday? If so, I hope you are feeling well. I had laproscopic total hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. After the first 2 weeks, you really should feel good. I also have a desk job but I am still not able to go to work Due to some spotting issues. My doctor wants me to take the full 6 weeks until I see her and she clears me. I do feel fine though, so it's hard not to go back when you feel good. I felt 100% back to normal at the 3 week mark. It is a major surgery so just be aware of that when you are pushing to go back to work. Don't go if you don't feel you are ready. As far as the pain, it's not too bad. I've had 2 kids, so this Doesn't compare. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Hi.yes I did have surgery. I had to spend the night at hospital. Surgery went good he said. He said there was a lot of scar tissue in there.I am a lot sorer than I thought I would b. I feel so swollen. My fingers r swollen so I cant wear my rings yet. My belly is also swollen. As long as I take my meds every three hrs like dr said to I am ok. I honestly didnt expect to b as sore as I am. I go back to dr in a week and half. We will c then how I feel. Right now all I want to do is sleep.
    • Posted

I can honestly say, each day will get better for you. Being swollen is normal. I also had swollen feeling "down there" up to 2 weeks afterwards at different times. It felt like I had pushed out a baby but that's normal too, i think i just over did it. Just need to take it easy and don't over do. I took meds for about 4 days afterwards, then I stopped. After a week, you'll feel pretty good, 2 weeks you'll feel great. Good luck in recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.