Laparoscopic hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this so please direct me to a thread where this may already have been discussed. 

I'm considering a laparoscopic subtotal hysterectomy if my gynaecologist says it's possible. I would need to shrink the large fibroids first so they can be mascerated and removed through keyhole incisions. 

Heavy bleeding is not a symptom but bladder pressure is. 

Please tell me of any experience of this type of hysterectomy. 

I could have either Esmya or an injection to shrink the fibroids first, so I'm also after info about these.  I've seen a thread on Esmya but am looking for info about the injection.  Apparently it is more effective than Esmya but worse menopausal side effects. 

Thanks ladies x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have several large fibroids and endometriosis. Gynaecologist has recommended laparoscopic total hysterectomy. I have had 3 months on Esmya and had a lot of cramping, back pain, bladder and bowel pressure and alternating constipation and diahorrea with hair loss. I had a review after 3 month course and said I wasn't happy with the side effects. She changed to Zoladex implants immediately and I have been seriously unwell for 4 months. Continued symptoms as above, plus severe abdominal bloating and continual nausea and repeated vomiting. Can only eat small amounts, which builds up over a few days until stomach so bloated and screaming in pain. Have to take movocol for constipation, eventually can clear blockage but makes me violently sick for a few days, which is not pleasant at all. This has been a continual cycle for 4 months. I have lost over 2 1/2 stone in weight. As you can imagine I am getting very worried, and unable to look after my teenage son. Been to GP 5 times and not getting much help, just says it side effects of treatment and nothing much he can do. He wouldn't even give me pain patches that I asked for as I am unable to keep tablets down as they can cause constipation!!!! 

I have an appointment on 16th with gynaecologist, if I can even stand up on the day. I have spent practically all of the summer either in the bathroom or rolling around in agony in bed.

My advice would be to ask lots of questions about the treatment and probable length of treatment. I wish I had never had the implants at they last such a long time. At least you can stop taking the tablets at any time if you want to.

I wish you well on your journey, not everyone has such severe side effects so worth a try. Good luck

Julie

• Posted

OMG Julie that's awful. I'm so sorry you've been through all of that so far. I'm waiting to see what shrinking drug my gynaecologist recommends but will take your story into account. Thank you for sharing. 

I really hope you are able to get a good resolution after the 16th. Please let me know what results you get. 

Sending warm wishes. X

• Posted

Hi Julie, good luck with your appointment and if they will insist in giving another round of drugs just say no and ask for a referral to a surgeon that can operate you. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am so desperate and really at the end of my tether with the side effects and pain that surgery now seems to be the only option left.

I will post when I have more news, thanks for your support it means a lot 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.