Lapidus (metatarsal cuneiform fusion)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had bunion surgery 12 days ago and want to add a post as i have had a very positive experience. I got a lot of insight via these forums and there are a lot of helpful positive posts on here.

Surgery was on my right foot as I had a grade 3 hallux valgus. The metatarsal has been fused with a plate and 4 screws. Surgery was on a friday and went well with no complications. The first 24 hours were fine due to the ankle block but once that wore off, I won't lie, I was very uncomfable for about 36 hours. It wasn't pain, more like an intense throbbing. Codeine and neurofen kept it at a managble level and by Monday morning I barely needed any pain meds. Every day there is a noticable improvement in how my foot feels. I have not needed any pain meds since 4 days post surgery. Today is day 12 and I have just had the stitches out and all is going well. There is some bruising and swelling but not as much as I expected and from day 1 my foot felt OK when I stood up (other than some tingling as the blood rushes to my foot). The only thing that has been a real pain during all of this are the crutches. Getting used to them is hard work and a lot more physically taxing than i thought. I hope anyone having the surgery is as lucky as me with their experience.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I am on day 20 of Lapidus Procedure and still on pain meds.  I have 3 different incisions in my foot with one at my second toe from big toe (had that toe shortened) and one long incisition on top of the big toe bone (top of foot) and one along the side of my toe (where the bunion bump was).  These stitches are about 3 to to 4 inches long.  That is what is burning so very bad, which keeps me on pain meds.  The doctor removed my stitches 5 days ago and put me in a cast up to me knee, which will come off next week, then I get some kind of boot, still no weightbearing.  6 weeks no weight bearing.  Doc said my stiches look great with no infections.  That is wonderful news with your surgery.  You are doing wonderful.  I have a knee scooter along with crutches, like the knee scooter better.  Yes those crutches are hard , I feel unstable on them.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  Please keep us posted on your continued progress.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, great to hear your positive experience. I had both trotters done last year and all was fab. I totally agree about the crutches. I seemed to walk with my backside sticking out and was unaware of this until I caught myself in a mirror. Just rest those piglets as much as possible as it pays off tremendously. Keep up the good work x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lisa.....good to hear your story, and I agree this forum has been great...who else understands? I am 4 weeks post op and walking aound the house without the crutches but use them outside , for one thing I can get along a lot quicker with them, and have a backpack . A friend told me last week to try and walk with a normal gait when using the crutches, otherwise your body gets lop sided so this has helped, that is, put heal right through to toe, even if the crutch is taking the weight, and bend the knee normally.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi all

I am now 20 days post surgery and starting to get lots of aches and pains on various parts of my foot & ankle. My big toe and joint that have been pinned feel fine, its the other toes/side of foot/ankle that's annoying me. Is this normal?

Thanks

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up