Laporoscopy removal of both ovaries.No information and terrified

Posted , 3 users are following.

I saw the consultant last Weds,it is now the following Tues. Nothing was discussed. Consent forms pushed at me, major complecations touched on and sign here. All put in an envelope and sent down to admissions as if to say that's that, get out of the dept. Tried to get info but shrugged off with ask at pre-op. Ask what? I've no idea on what to base the questions.

All I know is booked in for day care laporoscopy, will be General Anaesthetic, both ovaries will be removed. Tubes mentioned but not sure if will be removed or not.

I'm terrified, what do I need to ask and can anyone tell me anything about the procedures, even something no matter how small, it is better than nothing at all

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Oh my goodness I can't believe how badly you've been looked after. You don't mention why you are having both ovaries removed so I'm not sure if this is something you know or another thing they haven't told you. 

How old are you? If you are not already in menopause then having both ovaries removed will put you in instant menopause so you need to ask some questions about that. If you are under 50 and if there is no complication like family history of breast/ovarian cancer you will need  some form of HRT so ask about that. As you are having this done by laparoscopy you will have a quicker recovery time than open laparotomy surgery so hopefully should be able to get back on your feet sooner. Make sure you eat healthy before surgery and keep meals light afterwards for a little while as this will help as you will be sore for a while . I had open surgery last year but kept one ovary I was told I wouldn't need HRT as I still have one ovary but have experienced imbalanced hormonal symptoms ever since and now can't get any answers so its important to write down everything you want to ask and take this with you to admit possible take a friend or family member for added support as they may be able to help you remember what is said as its hard to focus when you have some much worry going on. You will be fine so don't panic and there are loads of ladies on this site that have been through similar things and it can help to share. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Xx 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dermoid cysts but not told what they were and had to look up on internet

49 and adopted as a baby so do not know family history, not yet in the menopause and only a brief you may need HRT we will see in clinic after.

Yet again no explanation and did not even connect this op to the menopause until you said it as they haven't

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Now found out, by accident, it is Laprascopic Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy all I have read, (had to use internet forums), is that I will be in terrible pain and it will take along time to recover. Am worried sick. Feel no one cares or is there for me, you are the only one who has bothered to reply so there is no help here either.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply, though it sounds scary the term you quoted just means that you are having both ovaries removed, which you already knew, the laparoscopy means keyhole surgery do your recovery time should be better than with open surgery. Yes there will be pain but this can be managed with normal painkillers and recovery will take a while but you should have an easier time than with open surgery. Take care 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

By the way it was my GP who mentioned Dermoid on referral and radiologist who said was one on each ovary R 7.5cm and on L 4.4cm when did ultrasound, external as other problems meant an internal would not be tolerated. Gynae scouted over it just said cyst on .
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you discussed pregnancies with them? If you haven't thought about it and are a young lady with thoughts of kids i would talk to them..shout at them if they don't talk to you, with what you need.My understanding is they wouldn't take the tubes as thats not the problem its the overies producing eggs that turn to cysts (from my own experiance and from what you've typed) Im so sorry you are going through this..i'm nervous at them taking one so you must be so confused and upset xxx Laporoscopy is basically through the belly button...they make a small incision and put a bag into you to cover the cyst then cut and pull out through your belly button. I've had a c-section to remove mine but they were thinking about it. The good thing you need to focus on is that if it was complex meaning possible cancerous cells they wouldn't take it out that way hunnie as they wouldn't want to spill anything inside the cyst to cause you problems in later life. Tthis is what i'm going through at the moment..i;ve waited a year to have mine removed and it's complex my last app in April showed it had grown to the size of a small watermellon..you have to stay calm and positive. Ask about pregnancies, biopsy of the cysts and when you'll get the results of it, ask how long you'll be in hospital for,  how long not to drive or staying at home, do you need somone at home to help you? Who will do the op? how will it effect your hormons and periods? You'll feel better and different in a couple days after..take time out to heal. Google them read up on the different types of cysts there are. I'm here to chat if you need anyone..i find it hard to find someone who understands. It's so scary. I can't imagine how you feel at both overys being taken..big hugs to you xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am 49 and kids have never been on the agenda for several reasons. I am severally epileptic and the medication would cause serious birth defects and my fiancee was killed delivering aid to Bosnia in the 1990's.

I have been told it will be both ovaries and both tubes. They have booked it as daycare so go home same day, it saves money and as we all know it is all about that.

Saw my GP today for a proper explanation and she was as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I am so afraid I have cried myself to sleep ever since that first appointment nearly a fortnight ago and am too tired to bother anymore as all it leads to is raised hopes followed by crushing disappointment.

Thanks for your reply both you and chris have given me some useful pointers as to what to bring up at pre op in a week. The op itself is in a month, (15th Sept)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Finally got a copy of the clinic report, after I had been reduced to tears and begging on my knees - no doubt my GP loved it.

The Dr I saw was just an SHO and has put in the letter - The patient is keen to have the cysts removed surgically - ( all she did was say x size on R and x size on L what do you want to do. Of course I said I wanted rid of them - anyone would) -and I discussed with her the option of a bilateral salpingo-oopphorectomy at the same time. Letter has confrmed she is inexperienced and showed her a liar to boot - no discussion took place.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ask at pre-op they can help now turns out another lie, the pre-op nurse, who I just spoke to on the phone about something else - told blood test not needed, letter said pre-op did, she confirmed that pre-op for gynecological procedures had to do one. She was disgusted that I had been told this and also been palmed off with ask at pre-op when all they do is what many countries probably call pre-assessment, ie are you fit for this.

Now insisted on seeing the consultant who will be operating and will do so on 10th Sept, op still left in place as wanted.

Making up a list of questions for him, will also tell him how I have been treated, the constant untruths, and that it has caused distrust which I hope he will be able to prove misplaced

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Had Pre-Operative assessment today, seems I may fail due to a lack of communication between departments.

I am scheduled for a routine EEG but have been waiting since May, have just found out that they lost the letter and that as it has been asked for but not done the anesthetist may refuse. Goodness knows why as it is just so got a piece of paper for the file, the referral that is.

Can't take much more and though I was a staunch Catholic who found much comfort in prayer, I can no longer be bothered with it as he doesn't care or listen either. If anyone here feels able to pray for me that the anesthetist sees no problem and will go ahead I would be most grateful.

Sorry so down but this is a blow I did not need.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yet another cock up means they failed to book the EEG for the 1st and will have to be 5th Sept, only got done as I chased myself, only found out as rang again today regarding something else. an allergy that need to know about before the test as it can bring on a fit, I am so allergic to the drug generally used to stop it if it occurs that it stops me breathing. No-one wants to know and I am getting the run around.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up