Large cyst discovered in my right ovary.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Yesterday (28th of August) I had an unltrasound and internal scan to check for PCOS. They found a large (30x23x23) cyst attached to my right ovary. I've been informed that I'll be seeing my gynecologist within the next 3 weeks to discuss where it goes from here. Having gone on to Google and looked for some advice/answers/guidance I'm finding it hard to find anything really relevant. I just would like some light shone on the subject from people who have been there? So far, I have no idea what type of cyst it is, how long it's been there and exactly what effect it is having on my body. Really, I would like to know about women around my age (I'm 23) because a lot of the cases I've read about, the women are older, maybe 50 onwards. And a lot of these women have had hysterectomies. Being who I am, I'm desperate for a family one day so hearing that has been the most worrying thing so far. Any advice/guidance/input would be totally appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oops! It's actually on my ovary, not in it as the title says. Silly typo!
    • Posted

Hysterectomies and ovary removal (though you still have the same chance of conceiving with one not two), are the standard treament in older women but the very last thing seen as appropriate in women of child bearing age who want a family. That is why you do need to discuss it with your gynaecologist and make it plain to him about your wish to have a family.

Write your concerns and questions down, give them to your consultant if you need to, I did with mine and he didn't mind.

(Yes I'm older, 49, but have research the Royal College of Gynacologist guidelines as well as others on this one)

An idea would be to re-post this with aged 24 and needing advice somewhere in title. Say Aged 24, large cyst found, advice please

• Posted

Thank you! I'll definitely be writing down my questions/worries etc etc for my gyne, I'll forget them all if not!

• Posted

I was 28 when I had a large cyst removed as well as my ovary and tube after having a cyst that had ruptured and twisted on it's stalk cutting the blood supply off and causing a lot of pain.  I got the cyst in the later stages of pregnancy and my son was just 5 weeks old when I had to return to hospital for my operation.  I had the ovary out in March and by May I was pregnant with my second child and had my third at the grand old age of 38 so one ovary can work as well as two. cheesygrin   You might get away with just having the cyst out and your ovaries left intact, I'd just have a word with your gynacologist and see what he recommends confused  Good luck and let us know how you go on xx
    • Posted

That's wonderful! I'm so glad to hear of someone fairly close to my age still being able to conceive pretty easily from the sounds of things! Thank you, I'll keep the discussion updated with things as they happen :D
    • Posted

Glad got something from someone far nearer your age than mine is.

More reassuring no doubt in some ways

• Posted

Yes too bloomin easily, I wasn't exactly trying for more children either as my baby was only 4 months old lol  same when I was 38, never thought I would become pregnant at that age with one ovary and not exactly trying for a baby either as my two other children were 9 and 10 by this time eek
  • Posted

hello friend....am also having the same problem...it is formed because of over weight....now i removethe cyst....but unfortunately t is too large...so i  remove my right ovary too....after the surgery the problem is not cure...we need to go for the treatment....first u go and remove the cyst...after that u need to go for a treatment which is used to regulate your period cycle...

thanks,bye

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I'm 28 and also had a cyst is similar size - it was a simple cyst filled with fluid rather than PCOS. I ended up getting it drained as it was causing complications being so big. But I'm currently waiting to get it properly removed. 

They originally told me that I was to loose the ovary and fallopian tube which I found quite upsetting -but they now seem to think it is salvageable. So it may be worth getting a second opinion. But as others have said - just ensure your doctors and consultant know of your desire to have a family. Your chances of conception don't change whether you have one or two ovaries - when you have just one it takes over from the other,  releasing an egg every month rather than every other. But when you're so young they will endeavour to keep as much tissue as possible when removing the cyst.

Good luck with everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.