large ovarian cyst ca 125 at 228 any hope?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have had ultrasound.huge ovarian cyst found. bloods normal but ca125 at 228. has anyone else had this high level and not had cancer?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vivian.

Please don't despair because your CA 125 has come back as elevated. It can be elevated due to many benign reasons such as the cyst itself, endmetriosis etc. My own CA 125 is elevated and I have 2 complex cysts also which Im currently being scanned for so I know exactly the worry you are going through. The CA 125 is not a reliable test to check whether someone has OC - its used more a tumour marker. If you read up you will find there are many, many women whose results have been elevated whose cysts have turned out totally benign.

• Posted

Don't worry!

Ca125 could go up for many reason.

Also 228 is not too high, people with cancer have sometimes 6000-24.000.

Periods, ovulation, endometriosis, etc can bring it up !

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I'm new to the forum and read your post- hope you are still active on the forumsmile I have a complex cyst and a CA125 of 330 so I know exactly how you feel. I see the consultant this week (and its scary that he's a gyne oncologist) but I guess if there are symptoms that might indicate cancer its best to get it sorted asap. Have you found out what yours was? Doing research online it seems lots of people with OC never have raised levels of CA125, while 97% of women with raised levels don't have cancer. Its a test that is most useful for people already diagnosed to see if the tumour is responding to treatment and although they are desperate to find a good screening test for OC this has been ruled out because its so unreliable. But the amount of stress this result has given me has been horrendous, so in a way I wish they didn't do it. I've read that levels can be raised by the presence of a benign cyst but in my darker moments I wonder if I'm clutching at straws. Anway I do hope you are feeling better now

• Posted

Vivian, Chrissie just wondering how things are going for both of you? Ive posted an update on my own situation in the forum x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.