Last yr July I ended up having surgery and a piece of my large colon was removed. Due to diverticuli

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the first time it's come back. I've been on meds since Tuesday but the pain is still present. I did number 2 yesterday and breaking wind. How long does it take to recover from flare ups?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I thought if you had surgery It cleared it I had no idea it can come back. It takes different people different times to get over a flare. My self once I have finished the antibiotics it can take me about a week to get back to my normal
  • Posted

Hi Zeta

Sorry to hear it has returned.  This unfortunately means you have diverticula in parts of the bowel that were not removed, or they have developed since the surgery.  If you read some of the posts on this Forum, you will find there are plenty of other people who experienced the same as you.  As Susan says, healing time  can vary.  When I first had a flare it took 4 weeks for the pain to go, but now 16 years later, I have had 3 flares in 10 months and still get some pain - and some pain free days as well.  It is the insides healing from the inflammation and infection. 

After the surgery were you advised you still needed to watch what you ate very carefully, had plenty of water and soluble fibre?  So many people just go back to their old habits.  Sadly this is a disease, with disease management, for life.  Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.