Lateral ligament repair and arthroscopy. Pain and swelling 9 months later. Anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I'm 333. I had two lateral ligaments reconstructed and arthroscopic surgery for extensive arthrofibrosis and talar dome lesion in July 2015. It's been complicated by four hips surgeries last year aswell and chronic blood pooling on same leg.

My ankle aches all the times and the ankle swelling is constant, never normal but gets worse when I use it more. I don't have CRPS but I do have blood pooling from being bed bound re my hips. I'm just wondering if my aching and swelling is ok as I get very tired. My surgery says it's scar tissue breaking down but gosh it's painful. Apart from ice, pain killers and elevation any other tips? It's tiring

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Opps my 33. Not 333 lol!
    • Posted

I was going to say....you are doing great for 333 smile  

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Hope you feel better really soon.

• Posted

Patti, just 3 more days until my Weight Bearing Inauguration.  I never thought I'd be so excited about putting my foot on the ground!  How are you coming along?  Ron
  • Posted

Melissa, don't know if this will help but my doctor has me rotating ice bath and warm bath several times a day.
    • Posted

Hi Leelee

Thank you for your advice. Because my blood pools badly, especially in any heat such as shower, warm water etc I think it may make the pressure in my foot worse. The blood pooling gets so bad the veins pop out, my foot goes dark blue and my leg gets very mottled. Thanks though 😊

• Posted

For what it's worth Melissa, I had ankle surgery last November and I'm seeing no sign of reduced swelling and I also still have a lot of stiffness and pain. I do my PT every day and that helps a lot with the stiffness, however, it comes back very quickly after nonusage.  Just like you, if I don't use it a lot and keep it elevated the swelling is much much better, however, that's not realistic for me as I need to be up and around a lot during the day. I do believe that what you're experiencing isn't unusual as everything I'm reading suggests it's quite common for the swelling to last 12-18 months. My doctor recommended lymphodema therapy and so I'm going to be trying that next week.  
    • Posted

Hi rmsko

Oh really? Gosh it's terribly painful. I hope yours gets better soon too... Mine aches all the time and swells up and looks horrid. Some days are better than others but the ache never goes. My dorsi flexion isn't quite at neutral so I limp. My hips ops haven't helped either. Both were partially dislocating so had 5 operations last year. My hips ache terribly too. Have my down days. So tired of pain 😢

• Posted

I had surgery end of September 2015 and swelling has been present every day & night since. I returned to work mid January and am on my feet 10 plus hours a day. I can feel my foot swelling whilst at work, on return home I have to bathe it, moisturise it, ice it and elevate it. I put an elasticated bandage on. I do my exercises each day, but is still stiff and when I stand up from watching tv I limp really badly. I limp constantly and my foot is sometimes a different colour and sometimes feel cold to touch. I have also been told that the swelling can take up to 12 months to reduce, I led a hectic  lifestyle prior to my accident but now feel as though it's just bed and work as I am so tired by the end of the day, I'm in bed normally around 10pm, then up at 7am to return to work
    • Posted

Gee, Paul, so sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.  I think the fact that you're on your feet all day could be the real culprit here.  If I recall from previous posts, you're a postman, correct?  Firstly, I would make sure you have the most comfortable, supportive shoes possible.  Do you have to wear any kind of 'regulation' footwear?  And then, talk to your supervisor about taking 5 min breaks every hour or so and see if there is somewhere like a low wall or park bench where you can elevate your foot for those 5 mins.  That might help. It's the constant walking and gravity pulling the blood to the feet that is so detrimental. You need healing time, my friend.  You're not in the U.S. if I recall.  Northern Ireland, I believe?  Maybe you need to see if a few weeks in a rehab facility could be granted by your work and insurance company.  You certainly seem to warrant it.  We all feel your pain, believe me, and are wishing you a quicker recovery.  Ron
    • Posted

I feel guilty complaining about my ankle when I read what you have gone through, you are brave, I couldn't deal with all the operations, aches, pains, and snail pace recovery. I had only three screws inserted, no plates and was led to believe this was a simple operation and recovery/return to work within 2 months, which I was disappointed by but now feel massively misled. I have to accept my situation, but am counting the days/weeks to September hoping that I will have my life back. I feel for you regarding  being tired of pain, I manage my aches, I don't have pain as such and rarely need to take any medication. I genuinely hope you start to recover soon, I'm not surprised you have your down days, it's apparently all part of the recovery process I'm told
    • Posted

That was aimed at Melissa, I assume, Paul.  My recovery has been pretty straightforward, just boring as hell!  Ron
    • Posted

Yes Ron, sorry. It was a reply to Melissa 
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words Ron. I agree, being on my feet in excess of 10 hours doesn't help. I think you refer to Jim, a postie from Northern Ireland.

I work for an Us car hire company, but am in Uk. It is massively busy, cleaning, driving and maintaining a fleet of 250 vehicles between 3 other colleagues, but enjoy the demands placed on me and how fast the day goes

I wear Thom McAn shoes (purchased from Kmart in Us) since my accident, which are very light and comfortable. I can take small breaks as and when I feel the need, but being on my feet so much has not done me much good. My company pay for Bupa which provide medical help, treatment and rehab, I will speak to somebody at head office and try to organise something. Thanks again Ron, I know my situation is very slight compared to others when reading the posts. 

• Posted

At least you are getting plenty of sleep Paul smile

Thanks for all the info...that's really helpful, so we have some idea what to expect at the 7 month mark. I wonder why our ankle swells for so long, after a break....perhaps because it's such a key weight bearing point and carries the whole load of our bodies? Just seems so long to have swelling for 12 months, but I keep hearing that is the case. 

• Posted

Great ideas Ron. Re. the 5 min breaks, I find a break with my leg up, even for a few minutes, makes such a difference. Why is it when the blood flows more often down to our feet that makes it swell for so many months vs. helping to oxygenize it and heal it faster?
    • Posted

The only thing I wish this website had, was a button so when you pushed someone's name, highlighted in red here, you could see all their posts, fully printed out, in sequential order by date. That would help so much! It does get confusing some times!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.