Lateral ligament repair with peroneal tendon transfer and more.

Posted , 6 users are following.

In August I'm going in for surgery to fix my ankle which I broke a year ago. The surgeon is doing 3 procedures at that time.

He will do an arthroscopic repair to the cartilage under the talus, which I guess I broke. He will also do a lateral ligament repair with peroneal tendon transfer.

I'd like to find a video on the latter, but can't seem to find one on YouTube. Any thoughts?

I'm told I'll be non weight bearing for 6 weeks, which will be hard for me. At the moment I'm almost 9 weeks post op from shoulder surgery and not healing well.

Does anyone have experience with these kinds of surgeries?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mine wasn't the same exact surgery but I had great results with Lateral Ankle Reconstruction (BGould procedure). They had to completely reconstruct ATFL, PB tendons and put screws in my tib. They didn't do the transfer but ended up having to place screws to hold my shortened and tightened ligaments, tendons together. He used a cadaver like bone substance instead of titanium. I read where cadaver cuts on recovery time.  I was non weight bearing for @ 9-10 weeks. I had a scooter, boot and crutches. The scooter will be your best friend. I had the surgery almost 4 months ago and had to do "on my own PT" because my work and teaching job didn't allow PT time. I went for post op @ a week later and I've gone back every @  3 weeks since. I was in a half hard cast (soft on top) for 2.5 weeks, then placed in a boot for 2.5 months. I slept in the half cast for a month +.  I had a tendency to roll over on it at night. 😬 I think sleeping in it helped and it wasn't as heavy as boot. It protecting me and helped me rest. 

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I had mentally prepared myself for. I you tubed and researched it non stop! The surgeon's assistant actually begged me not to watch the procedure because it terrifies most patients, but I did. It freaked me out a little but I was mentally prepared after watching them. I didn't take many of the Hydro or OxyContin that I was prescribed and I thought I would really need them. That is how I'm gagging it not being horrible. 

TIPS**Take the non weight bearing seriously!!  I'm not going to lie to you, It's frustrating!!! Wearing clothes( I was in the winter) sucks. ** Use trash bags and duct tape for showers until stitches are out. ** Take up ALL rugs around your house or they will be a hazard(I tripped a few times with crutches and scooter). **GET or rent a knee SCOOTER! Crutches @ 10 weeks would have mentally pushed me over the edge. 

My surgeon thinks that I am ahead of recovery for the most part. I wasn't supposed to run for 6-12 months and I am lightly jogging on a treadmill. I wear a lace up brace when I do any exercise. Please take the NWB seriously. I think being NWB for so long is why I have had the best experience possible for LAR. ** BIO OIL for scar is a must. I used coconut oil, gasoline, neosporin at first but moved to BIO OIL when he gave me the go ahead. My scar is ugly but I can tell the BIO OIL is really starting to help. 

My only complaint is probably my own fault. When I did get off the scooter and out of the boot, I did too much too soon (I teach elem. school and coach volleyball so no desk job). My "non surgery" foot hurts some from overcompensation. I already had PF in that foot. Cortisone injections don't even touch it at this point. So don't go full out when you get to go ahead to come out of the boot. I also have some tingling in my surgery foot and leg. It doesn't hurt but gives the "foot asleep" sensation when I touch them. I read usually 6-12 months for that to go away completely because your nerve endings get cut or moved around. I'm still waiting for it to stop but it isn't painful- just weird. 

I hope that I was helpful even if the surgery is a little different. For the most part it is similar, according to the research. 

• Posted

Thanks for the tips. I looked at the paperwork I have and it's not a repair, rather a reconstruction.

I do have rugs in my house, so that will be an issue, but hopefully I can deal with that.

• Posted

Thorough report! You have to be extra careful with crutches or scooter, but it may not be necessary to remove every rug; only the nuisance ones. I agree rugs become frustrating... So are dog toys and play bones. My cocker pulled me and I slipped on ice and shattered my ankle... Three hour surgery on February 8th. I am in boot and doing two PT sessions a week... PT is great. I am still going through Norco withdrawal late evening. Eight pills to go in twelve days. No pain but just the tingling sensation and swelling. My long screw through ligament will be removed in May. It's a small Op. The ligament between the two vertical bones is key to proper balance. I weight bear now nine weeks after surgery. Patience and abiding by surgeon's advice

Is key to proper recovery. Regards! Nick

• Posted

We have 2 dogs, and they're notorious for leaving toys and bones in the way, nevermind disturbing the rugs.

My house is not accessible, so I'll be living on the main floor for 6 weeks rather than in my basement apartment. But this is the safer option for me, and I don't have a scooter to use.

• Posted

Oh yes, get a scooter for sure. I'm almost two weeks out from a phalangeal head resection on left pinky toe and peroneal brevis tendon repair on the right. Left foot is still pretty sore but I can do jaunts with the scooter and it's great. Look on Craigslist for a scooter, they can cost about $75 or so a month to rent but I bought one for $100.
  • Posted

I splurged and bought a brand new scooter for $400, but insurance re-imbursed $140,  so net dish out was $260. I thought they would reimburse more but that did not happen... No regrets at all! Knee scooter is worth every penny especially if you're going to live on one floor. I roamed around the kitchen faster than the wife and I ate at kitchen table with leg resting on the scooter. The two dogs got out of my way instantly. Also, my wife loaded the scooter in the back of the minivan and I roamed around at Macy's, Carson's, Van Maurs, and the entire indoor mall. These trips saved the day. But you must be very careful and roll slowly. Scooters are a neat invention. Best of luck to you and you can't be too careful. Regards! Nick  
  • Posted

Also, a basket on the front is really useful. I just put one on that I found for about $15 at Wal-Mart. I think some scooters come with one, but if not it's really a game-changer.
    • Posted

I've posted an ad on Craigslist to see if I can borrow a mobility scooter. I'm not so sure about the knee scooter as we have permanent carpet in the living room. A regular scooter would be nice when I go out, but I'll have to park it on the lawn when I come home.

My biggest concern will be boredom, I won't be able to watch TV, only DVD's or Netflix on my tablet.

• Posted

Well, 2 weeks before surgery, and I'm quite nervous. I was having major issues with my shoulder not healing, but after a manipulation, and an extra cortisone injection, I'm up to about 75% healed.

I'm told that my shoulder will only get back to 80% of normal, but that's better than nothing.

I go for my preop appointment on Wednesday, and then it's a week to go

I decided to rent a scooter for 6 weeks, I wasn't able to get one any other way. So at least I'll be able to get around out of the house.

I'm just happy that my shoulder is strong enough to get my by when I'm not going to be using my scooter.

I'll be picking it up the day before surgery. I just hope everything goes well.

• Posted

Went for my preop appointment today. The biggest concern right now is the fact that I reacted to a local anesthetic last month. The reason this is so concerning is because the anesthesiologist will be doing a nerve block during surgery.

I was told that the surgery will take 3 hours, this is longer than my shoulder surgeries were.

Hey s hoping that it goes well.

• Posted

Tomorrow is the big day, I'm extremely nervous. My ankle has been swelling up more lately, so I'm glad this is being done.

I will check in on Friday when I get home.

• Posted

I was supposed to go home last Friday, the day after surgery, but here I am, still in hospital plagued by issues.

First it was pain management, then bladder issues, then muscle spasms in my ankle. Now I can't bear to be on crutches for long at all due to my shoulder giving out on me.

It looks like I can't go home due to the shoulder, but can't stay in hospital or go to rehab. I have no choice but to go to a nursing home.

I can't do stairs which is the reason why I can't go home.

It really sucks.

• Posted

No change on the tendon damage front, and healing from the main surgery is slow. I'm 4 and a half months post op, should be pretty much healed by now.

• Posted

I am in almost 4 and a half months also, what are your main pains or problems? I know they may be a lot, but which one bothers you the most?
    • Posted

My swelling is also back recently! I have swelling on top of ankle and a more painful swelling on the other side of Ankle! (Inside!), Balance is hard for me also, I have pain under feet, its cold there, also very bad pain when walking in toes and metatarsals... My knee also have pain when walking or standing, the knee pain is inside and back of knee. Also I have pain in back sometimes...
    • Posted

The rest of your body is compensating for not being able to walk properly.

The other pain, swelling and coldness should not be happening so far after surgery. I'd see your surgeon.

• Posted

Thanks for help,

its 5 months post op, and not much has changed. I go to physio twice a week. I have a little better range of motion, but I still have a lot of painful spots and pain in the other side of ankle!

The toes start really bad pain when walking! Nothing is helping this but wearing walking shoes helps a little. But THE BIG TOE PAIN is really too much specially when want to walk in upward street. This pain in toes especially big toe is my biggest problem now.

I have seen the surgeon he is like “everything is OK”, “It will take more time” & stuff like that!

• Posted

5 and a half months after surgery and I'm angry. My ankle is as swollen right now as it was 6 weeks after surgery.

Im in agony, taking more pain pills than I should, but not being able to do anything about it.

My dr yesterday said this is an inflammatory process, but he's not sure what's going on.

I see the rheumatologist on Wednesday, maybe she'll be able to shed some light on what's going on.

• Posted

Here it is almost 8 and a half months out of surgery.

I had an MRI done on the 7th because the rheumatologist wanted one. I see her for followup on Monday.

The neurologist I saw told me my problem was not nerve damage, but there was nerve involvement. I see him again at the end of next month for more testing.

The prob is, my toes still don't work, I still have balance problems, use a walker and am in a lot of pain some days.

My foot and leg to below the knee is almost constantly cold.

There are 2 bumps on my ankle very near to the surgical site, not sure if they're anchors or not.

I follow up with my surgeon on the 4th.

Whatever the results show, my former surgeon is being investigated anyways, and I may sue him if the MRI results show damage he caused.

My life has been ruined by him. I can't live independently any longer, I'm finding this out the hard way being in my apartment alone, instead of the upstairs couch.

I'm so tired of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.