Leaking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone , 2 weeks 3 days post op cystocele an rectocele can anyone tell if they leaked urine after they had the bladder an bowel surgery ? I never leaked befor but do now 😒also I feel pressures in my bowel an. Shooting pains any info greatly received . 😀

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie,  I have not had any urine leaking problem although I am still having a substantial discharge 3 weeks post surgery. Initially I thought it was urine but I have been assured that once the bleeding stops, the discharge starts and can last a few weeks. In my case, If it's still there next week, I will need to see my surgeon though.  I have also had a lot of pain in the lower abdomen including the shooting pains which was due to constipation.  I was given the go ahead to take something called Senokot-S.  It's a natural source laxative and stool softener and  it worked.  I took 2 tablets last night and had my first "normal" bowel movement earlier this morning.  Now at lunch time, the pain in my lower abdomen is gone.  I am told it will take up to three months for the swelling in my abdomen to disappear.  I gather our innards don't take kindly to being moved around and messed with! Hope this helps.
    • Posted

hi Nickie , I can go to the loo ok didn't at first cause I was so considpate so I had to manually get the first bit out as it was rock hard as I couldn't sit down without being in pain , my husband got me some Lactous which helped since then I've been ok , but I've noticed over the last few days I feel like something is pushing against my bowel as I feel a lot of pressure , my stomach too is still swollen stomach an very tender ( I guess that's where they have put the stitches to hold everything in place . I also had stitches outside as well as inside . Things hopefully will get better I'm not a good patient .
    • Posted

Hi Julie,  I too had stitches in and out and sitting was murder the first couple of weeks.  As of today, it's fine.  Especially happy the stomach pains have gone.  I too am NOT a good patient.  I can't begin to tell you what a great day I have had with that pressure in my stomach gone and sitting on a kitchen chair without a pillow with no discomfort.  As I mentioned above, the swelling will take longer but I can live with that - just not the pain and discomfort.  I had no idea I was that intolerant.  I used to think I was good at recovery but this was very different.  I think it boiled down to the fact that I felt so ill for about 3 weeks before the surgery especially that I was subconsciously expecting immediate relief which of course doesn't happen after very major surgery.  I would give the Senokot-S a shot and see if it helps.  I know Jools and a few others are taking it or its equivalent with great success.  It's available over the counter.  Good luck.  I will pray you start feeling better real soon.
    • Posted

Hi nickie did they say to you why you had stitches outside I'm fine about going to the loo I too find sitting on a hard surface uncomfortable .
    • Posted

The exterior stitches were to fix the posterior tear.  Don't know how yours was but at the test 4 1/2 months before surgery, I had a level 1 tear.  By the time I had the surgery, it was a level 4 which is why some of the stitches in the rectum were on the outside.  They are supposed to dissolve and I think mine have.  I can't feel anything anymore and I am now 3 weeks and 4 days post surgery.  By the way, I agree with Allison about the leakage - it may be the infection causing this.  Let's cross our fingers and hope the antibiotics help.  Hope you are feeling better soon.  Our internet tower was hit by lighting last night so just got our service back.  I was out all day ferrying my 92 year old sister on her errands.  She picked up all the heavy stuff!  Much to my horror, I am 70 (71 in August) but she doesn't look much older than me.  Mind you, she reminds me that she looked the same at 60 than she does now. And she is right.  I can only hope I am like her - lol.  Telling you this to hopefully amuse you a little - give you a mental picture of our doing all the errands and she doing all the carrying of heavy stuff - must have been quite the sight.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Julie did you have urodynamics before your op?
    • Posted

Yes had all that done Alison I didn't have the leakage before op which is why I can't understand why now . 
  • Posted

Hi Julie I leaked at about 4 weeks after the same op as you and I just kept on doing the exercises and it suddenly stopped. Hopefully u will be the same. There is a lot of repairing going on.
    • Posted

Hi Nannylin I really didn't realise how big the operation was I glad I had it done though , I don't like the leakage though I've also got bladder infection  now .
    • Posted

I was a bit shocked how much pain I was in after and I have had major surgery twice before. Think your infection is adding to the leak problem (well I hope so anyway) once that is under control you should feel much more in control, no pun intended.
    • Posted

I've been doing the exercises since I came out of hospital an it's still the same I've also had a couple of accidents , stoopping mid flow I can do sometimes but not always .
    • Posted

Be patient there is a lot of swelling inside and repairing going on its still early days. When do you have to go back for a post op check ?
    • Posted

Hi Nannylin I really hope so it's just the swelling that's causing the leakage I'm still got the feeling of running to the loo in time an today I sneezed an wee myself
    • Posted

Hi Nannylin I don't go back to see consultant till the 3rd sept an don't go back to work till I see him .
    • Posted

Julie, can you share some of the exercises you are doing to control leakage?  The only one I know is Kegel, and I'm still havng problems. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.