Leaking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone , 2 weeks 3 days post op cystocele an rectocele can anyone tell if they leaked urine after they had the bladder an bowel surgery ? I never leaked befor but do now 😒also I feel pressures in my bowel an. Shooting pains any info greatly received . 😀

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Julie. I have a freind who has some bldder leakage after her surgery. She had the sling repair. I will privately email you to explain something she does now to help her not have to get up five times a night to go to the bathroom.

Lynn

• Posted

I will email you prviately and explain it , just a minute.

Lynn

• Posted

Hi Julie,  Today is 4 weeks exactly since surgery.  The seeping I have been having was getting a litle worse so I called to see if I could find out what's going since I don't see the doctor until 6 weeks post surgery - on September 13th. After answering a bunch of questions, I was told my "leakage" is in fact urine so I likely have been leaking for a while.  I wasn't given any exercises since this was not foreseen given the test results I had pre-op.  I was told to be patient, keep wearing the liners and see if it's improved by the 13th.  Wow.  Sure hope it's not permanent.  Mind you, there was a strong chance in my case of losing the bladder entirely but having involuntary incontinence forever is not a very attractive alternative either.  I asked about exercise today and she said this would not likely help me and we could talk on the 13th.  Wow.  A bit of a shocker to me.  Ah well, that's life I suppose.  At least I feel well now.  I go back to work tomorrow - that should be fun...Nickie
    • Posted

Hi Nickiei I can quite agree with you regarding your leakage and still three weeks after my surgery I had a bladder infection which I was told that was why I was leakingI don't think that this had anything to do with my bladder infection I'm going to see my consultant on 3 September and will find out why I I am making. Before my surgery I never had any leakage unless I cough or sneeze hard I had the odd accident now and again because the urge to go to the loo . Before my surgery I never had any leakage unless I cough or sneeze hard I had the odd accident now and again because the urge to go to the toilet was so great that I did have accidents I don't go back to work until after I see my consultant because my job is working in catering and my consultant actually works at the hospital where I work . He has told me if he sees me carrying or lifting anything then I will undo all the work that has been done. I feel that I was not given any information regarding what I can and what I can't do if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know what I was allowed and what I wasn't allowed to do and I'm so grateful for all the information and comments that I have got from fellow ladies that have had the same operation as myself I don't want to carry on wearing liners because of the leakage I was not given a tape as the consultant said that would be done at a later stage why he couldn't do it while I was having the operation I don't know but I will find out why when I go to see him. I know i must sound negative but when I left hospital without any any information this I will bring up when I go to see him as I think this really needs to be addressed as this doesn't happen to any of the ladies that having the same type of operation as we have all had. I don't want to carry on feeling this way I just want be able  to get on with my life and not have to worry about leakages I've still got time which I know will have because of all the surger I didn't realise how big an operation it was I've got wonderful family and friends that are helping out as much as I can. I also have been in my change for the past five years and I've not had a period for seven months I was also on HRT which I've stopped because I can now cope with my hot flushes which are very far and few now .Nickie can I please ask why do you think you will go without
    • Posted

Hi Julie, First your email finished in the middle or your question to me so I can't answer.  Let me know "why doyou think you will go without"...what's the rest of the question?

I couldn't agree more about being EXTREMELY annoyed about this leakage and no warning about "stuff" before surgery. I did listen to three tapes prior to surgery but it took an hour to listen to and it seems to me if leakage or constipation had been mentioned, I would remember.   She keeps saying - like a lot of doctors do - that they don't want to give you too much information because you will worry about it unnecessarily..  But in our case, we have no idea what's going on.  It's bad enough dealing with the healing and all the restrictions without having a bombshell like this drop on us.  I am calling the doctor's office tomorrow because the leaking is getting worse.  I remember during the test before the surgery that the surgeon remarked that I had some leakage when the pessary was in - they had to put one in because the nurse couldn't get a cathether in because the prolapses were so bad.  But she said I should have no problem with leakage because once the pessary was removed, there was no leakage.  Until now, i had NEVER had leakage of any sort - sneezing, coughing, etc.  She was talking to the resident who was present saying that if there had been leakage, there was an extra procedure to do so leakage would not occur after surgery but I wouldn't need it since the test without pessary showed no leakage.  So to remember that there might have been something they could have done at the time of surgery is especially annoying.  Anyhow, it this keeps up, I hope she says that I can have further surgery for the "extra procedure" they didn't do the first time.  ButI DON'T KNOW.  I think that's what is killing both of us - not knowing.  As I said, I am calling tomorrow and I may not be as polite as I have been.  I want to know and it's my body.  I should know what's up and what if anything can be done about it.  I suppose leakage is better than having my bladder out but only if this can't be fixed.  I will keep you up to date after I have spoken to the doctor tomorrow.  At least she takes calls!  It may be because I am a rural and she knows it's a long drive to the city for me but whatever....I want answers.  I am also still constipated and unless I take something for it, my bowels are not moving on their own 4 1/2 weeks post surgery.  So what's up with that?  I have never been constipated before and I am 71.  So what gives?  It's stuff like that that is so vexing.  Hang tight. Like you, this forum has been invaluable.   I am not sure I would have been able to work Saturday and Sunday.  I am off today and working Tuesday and Wednesday.  Everthing was absolutely fine except for the  leakage and constipation which I would have had at home anyhow.  It was good to be back at work for me.  I love my job and missed the residents.  They missed me too and I got such a welcome back that I was nearly in tears.  The resident dog nearly bowled me over on Saturday afternoon and she did not leave my side for one minute except to do her business for two days!  Her name is Elsie (Golden Retriever rescue dog) and I love her - and she loves me.  You forget the unconditional love of a dog - I did miss her.  And she is good for the residents as well - they love her as well.  Anyhow, enough rambling.  I will keep you posted.  Hang tight Julie and do let me know what the question was.

• Posted

Hi Julie and all,

Spoke to doctor this morning.  The leaking I have been having is consistent with the amount of work done on the bladder to save it - some resection involved.  The leaking should start clearing up about 8-12 weeks post surgery - not likely before.  It is also possible it could last 16-20 weeks.  She says it is highly UNLIKELY that it will go that long since I am 4 and 1/2 weeks post surgery; have no pain, have returned to work and other than constipation which will also be an ongoing thing for about the same time, I am doing much better than any other patient she can think of.  She said i must be a quick healer. She also added that some people with less serious surgery are not recovered to the stage I am at for about 12 weeks so instead of "complaining", I should be thanking my lucky stars.  I was supposed to be told by the same idiot Resident who was present at the pre-op test who told me nothing about the posterior repairs that leakage was almost a certainty for me post surgery given the damage to my bladder and that she would check it at the 6 weeks stage.  He only said hope everything goes well - and left.  The nurse left me and ran after him.  She came back alone and very red in the face.  Apparently, he has been reprimanded.  When I saw her just before the surgery, I could tell she was annoyed with the resident and  she apologized that I had not been informed of the rectocyle repairs pre surgery. He was also supposed to tell me about the likelyhood of leakage.  I must say I did tell her he hadn't told me anything but she said it was most unprofessional of him not to tell me anything - especially not of the seriousness of the surgery.  She also apologized to me saying she should have followed up but it never occurred to her at the time that this was necessary.  She found it hard to believe he had said nothing.  She said the leakage was not permanent.  If it did not go away on it's own after 20 weeks, there was a procedure that could be done to fix it in my case but she really did not believe that it would be necessary - whew.  She also said it was perfectly safe to use the Senokot-S daily at least until I see her in person next week and then she will check.  I might need to take it for 3-4 months until the colon has recovered. Another whew.  Hope others are encouraged by this news.

• Posted

HI Nickie I'm so glad that you have got it sorted an you have had a happy result .fingers crossed that the leakage is only because of the operation . I today spoke to my consultants secretary an said about my leakage an that I was not happy as I never had it before an also they was supposed to have prescribe tablets for stress incontinence didn't think I had that but apparently I do . I also hope that it is just because of operation the same as you Nickie . I'm not back to work until September because I work in hospital catering an there's a lots of standing lifting an pushing . I'm looking forward now .

• Posted

Having trouble replying - keeps wiping out my remarks.  I am glad to hear "good"news but I will believe it when the leakage stops and I can go poo on my own as I have for 71 years without problems.  I will keep you up to date.  Going back to work for me has been great for my morale.  The staff are wonderful and the work is not taxing.  With no pain, no fatigue, nothing except those two hopefully temporary issues, I just have to remember to do as I am told.  With a disabled hubby, it does take forever to get garbage to the road (we live in the country).  It's too heavy to lift and put in the jeep as I usually do.  And bringing in groceries with a 10 lb limit also takes forever.  Good exercise I guess!  And in your case, take all the time you need.  You should NOT go back to a job with long hours and physically taxing work until you can do so safely.  My prayers are with you and hope your recovery is full and faster than you hoped.  Sorry it took so long to reply - worked Tuesday and Wednesday; had a doctor's appointment for my hubby (I need to take him); a dentist appointment for me; a vet appointment for the cat.  Geez Louise.  I am supposed to be the "sick" one. Ah well, it's good I can do it without problems.  None of that involves bending, lifting, reaching up - which I find the hardest to do - pulls on my tummy area and can cause pain so I just do't do it.  Will keep you up to date.  God speed in your recovery and you are right not to go back to work until you are totally fit to do so.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Nickier

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.