Lee

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've suffered from depression for 24 years and I keep telling myself I'm gonna get better 

I'm terrified of taking anti depressants incase they make me worse I simply can't cope anymore 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

How have you been dealing with your depression.  Have you tried any anti depressants at all to see if they will help you?
  • Posted

Tried them once but I find my self very sensitive to them and I felt very bloated spaced out and tired I haven't done anything besides excersize which helps but lately I've had no motivation to go sad
    • Posted

I am the same. No motivation to do anything at all. Are you able to work? 
  • Posted

I,m self employed which helps so I can take days off can't take much more everyday I have a different mood I need to try the tablets again I think 
  • Posted

You don't have to take anti-depression pills, in my opinion, because they are a bit dangerous and they can have a bad influence on you. You can find some alternatives. For example, first you should think very well and ask yourself a question: What is the reason for my depression? Then you should want to get better; that means you have to be strong, to collect all your power and break barriers. Try to create something every day, keep yourself busy, so you won't have time to be sad, become active! As I know the depression is not the opposite of happiness, but of an active life. I have moments of depression too and what I do is getting involved in new projects, because this helps a lot. One moment when I totally empty my mind is when I play the guitar. So I can relax. Surround yourself with happy people, who have a happy vision of life. Listen to loud music, feel it, go out in the nature and do something great that you haven't done for a long time!

Good luck! 

• Posted

I play the guitar and sing and I use to be so active but now I just don't have the motivation I think once started again and got the confidence to get out there again it'll help me just need that kick up the backside 

• Posted

Hi It sounds like your struggling at the moment, have you had any Counselling or tried therapies. See your GP see what is on offer.
  • Posted

Gonna see gp tomorrow counselling waiting list is a joke talking months sad
  • Posted

Hi Lee

I know how you feel sometimes i dont want to get up in the mornings and dont want to see or speak to anyone and get really nervous and anxious. I would encourage to see your doctor and just be honest. Ive decided to go back on to meds as they helped in the past, it took about 2 months to really see effect but i was so much more comfortable and felt better. I came off them after 7 months and then started feeling myself slowly downhill and have decided to go on them but on a small dossage. 

If you rather not use take dugs go and maybe see a councellor you need to try different types of things to see which works for you just remember your not alone and theres people in similar situations. 

• Posted

I'm really sorry that you've suffered for that long, antidepressants may help as depression is something I suffer with (Aged 22) and have done since I was about 16. Depression is sometimes due to chemical imbalances in the brain and such problems arguably do need treatment with antidepressants. I'm currently taking Sertraline (an SSRI) and quetiapine (both at high doses), the quatiapine for anxiety. With long term depression like yours I would urge you to go and see a doctor. It will get better, trust me. I know I'm a distant stranger and younger than you and somewhat at risk of sounding like a patronising little sod, but I've read an exhausting amount about depression and OCD and know how traumatising mental health problems can be. I would suggest weight lifting and cardiovascular exercise such as running for an hour every day. You'll get a rush out of the jogging. At first you'll have to force yourself, but it will definitely only help you. Set yourself a few laps maybe around the block. Everything I've said is only based on my own limited experience, but I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Sorry, just read some of the other posts. You have to force yourself to go out I think a combination of CBT antidepressants and regular exercise will help. I really believe in meditation and mindfulness as well. They have lots of scientific backing and are increasingly being incorporated into mental health treatments

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.