Left hip replacement April 2018

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Hippies, when l had my hip replacement, it was hard at first but soon Got mobile with a stick, then no stick everything was feeling great,

But my hip starts to hurt when l am in bed and very sore if l lay on that side,

l had an x ray 6 months ago yo check all ok, and it is, my consultant sent me for my bursa to be drained, which no different l do excercises . but the pain and aches get really bad at the side where the new hip joint is, and the top of my buttock, then it calms down then sets of again almost alternate days The consultant says it can take a long time for all nerves to get back to normal and he is pleased with me

Does anyone have these problems driving isnt good either .thanks for reading my moan Linda

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi my hip replacenent was in may 2019 i have pains and consultant advised it could take up to a year to settle the pain is muscles and nerves. if you have had an x ray and all is ok try not to worry

• Posted

hi linda

im now 3 years since my replacement and unlike so many who are throwing sticks away and walking miles mine was a longer journey. As Diane said it can take up to a year and it did for me. I still had some groin pain and struggled. We are all different but there is lightt at the end of the tunnel. I still have days when i am stiff but i dont think about my hip anymore. Im just off for a swim! Keep your chin up! x

JULIE

• Posted

Hi Julie,

thanks for your reply, l am starting swimming next week,you think you are doing ok then you do something silly like heavy bags , l do walk the dog and exercise hopefully it will settle down soon thanks for your reply Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda

i had my right hip done december 2018 and its been a very slow recovery I got my left hip done April 2019 and its recovering much faster? like you I get pain at night its difficult to turn over or lay on my right side. Its worse than what it was before I got it done! I went to my GP after a year to the day, he is referring me back to my surgeon, I have appointment in March. its very frustrating as i have pain in groin both sides so hoping this will go in time? Will see what surgeon has to say I just hope there is light at the end of the tunnel as its been quite a journey! I hope you feel better soon and it actually works! It works very well for many people we must be amongst the minority LOL Take care Kindest Regards Cyndey x

• Posted

Thanks for getting back Cyndey .

l have a friend in Australia who had her hip replaced 4 weeks before me, she is doing great so l do keep hoping things will change my consultant said it can take over 2 years for some people, they say cycling is good l wouldn't dare at the moment swimming is enough for now lol.

my pain is mostly in my buttock and where the stitches were, my groin is ok, but l have read the groin is the place most pain is after hip replacement,

hope you go on ok you are brave having both down, but l do know a neighbour had both done within 6 months and he is on his motor bike again amazing really , we are all different good luck and thanks again for replying means a lot

Regards Linda

• Posted

Linda,

Have you thought about an exercise bike, you can use that watching TV to stop it being boring also, it is non impact exercise for the hip.

• Posted

Hi might try it exercise bike at the gym first worth a try thanks Jen 🙂

• Posted

Hi Jen strange for you to mention exercise bike, I am actually picking one up tomorrow I am hoping it will help me, and as you say its exercise we can do while watching TV or listening to our favorite music try anything once!!!! Cyndey

• Posted

I am sure it will benefit you Cyndey, I was very cautious after my hip op, it was about 9 weeks before I went on my elliptical walker.

• Posted

Thanks Jen I hope you are right! I wish I could say I was able to use an elleptical after only 9 weeks! its ovet a year since my right hip was done and 8 months since my left one was done, its a very slow recovery for me I have been doing as much exercise as I am able but get a lot of pain! However must keep trying so fingers crossed!!! Thanks for responding Cyndey

• Posted

Hi, Hippies,

I too have had my hip since Aug 2018,up u xmas was doing brilliant. But, I was watching TV one night a out three weeks ago, I lifted my leg onto the edge of my coffee table, and felt a sharp sudden pain around my scar area. I panicked, went to bed and thought it would have gone by morning. When I got up, I thought it was OK again, but when squatting or bending down to do housework, I get a sharp pain. It was sporadic but was there most days so I went to see my GP who examined me and suggested I had an x-ray. That thankfully came back clear,so he has now arranged for me to have physiotherapy. (I am a waiting for the appt now).

But, tonight I fell down, bang, on my replacement hip slipping on my dogs bowl! It wS really painful, I was worried incase I'd dislocated the hip joint. It was difficult to get up and I put an ice pack on it to help with the pain. I am now in bed and hoping that tomorrow I won't be in pain.

Fingers crossed, it'll be OK.

Meantime, hope all you hippies are getting better every day. Don't look back, we are all different and get well at different rates.

Love to y'all.

Pat xxx

• Posted

Hi Pat

hope you feel ok today, its crazy what silly things we do, and always wonder if it's ok,

l started off good too but some days it really hurts and l have done nothing to cause it, my pain round the scar comes and goes but it also feels sore, my consultant said its normal and will get better i do exercises now and again and l am trying swimming this week perhaps we worry too much take care Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.