Left knee gave way today

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 20 weeks post op from rtkr. I have been having a rough time with pain and meds and just in general. I swore I would never go through this again. Well today my left knee gave way. I knew it was bone on bone but tried to ignore it. I am using a walker once again and the pain is now over shadowing the operated leg. I have an appointment with surgeon in February for recheck of tkr, I guess I will wait to do something till then. I am so upset. Can my body take another horrible surgery? It will only have been six months. I’m praying the left leg starts feeling better, maybe I’ve just been doing too much. Please reply, I need all of your wisdom.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm also due for #2 but there's not a lot of pain so I'm putting it off until I can't remember #1.  It's been 21 months...

Lots of people on here do these months apart...I could only imagine that if the pain from #2 exceeded the recovery pain from #1.  One thing I've noticed in the posts is that rarely are the two experiences the same.  Some report #2 worse than #1; others report #2 was easier.  No way to predict in advance.

Can your body take another horrible surgery?  Of course, it can.  You do all the recovery work and in a year or so, you'll have two great knees and ZERO PAIN!!!

• Posted

Chico, Zero pain would be great, even a walk round the Supermarket would be enjoyable.

David

• Posted

It takes time, work and patience...the last one of those is the hardest.  It's probably the #1 lesson I learned from the experience.  You have to let go of all your expectations and just do the work so you can heal.  Is it perfect? Of course not.  Kneeling on it brings a few nerve tingles and there are days I sit too long so there's a bit of stiffness in the first few steps...but all the other stuff?  Gone.  One day, you'll be walking along for a while and then realize that a year before, you couldn't do this.  Great feeling...you'll get there.

• Posted

Thank you CHICO, I love hearing your replies, They make me feel better. Right now I’m just really feeling sorry for myself but I’ll say my prayers and who knows, maybe Christmas miracle 
    • Posted

According to God (played by George Burns in the movie Oh, God with John Denver), His last miracle was the '69 Mets.  I wouldn't count on another.  The actual "miracle" happens the day you realize you haven't felt any real pain for...for...gee, I can't remember.

• Posted

Hi Arlene,

I am so sorry you are going through so much.  I had my Ltkr done August 7 and I am just now feeling like it was worth it!  My 'so called' good knee has had a lot of extra duty because of carrying most the load.  But as my tkr gains strength I find that my good knee is becoming less and less dependent on.

Whenever I ice my operated knee, I do the same for the other knee....equal attention to both. 

I'm no spring chicken either, 71, but I will have my other knee done late next year so that I can enjoy my 'golden' years.  Hang in there Arlene, the best is yet to come. Keep us updated.

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Thanks for the reply cherry

I love hearing from people,  it really helps . I never really knew how hard or long the recovery would be. I am 70. Actually not looking forward to having other one replaced. I will just keep praying it all works out. I’ll keep the faith.

• Posted

I agree, the timeline for knee recovery is not a short one, but when you’ve never had one done before it seems like forever.  Perhaps getting the second one done we will at least be more prepared...fingers crossed!

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.