Left knee problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone my GP had referred me to the hospital with a view to a knee replacement. I had surgery on a torn meniscus 2 years ago, the consultant who performed the surgery did feel I would be back within 2 years. I've been suffering with arthritis and over the past 6 months it's deteriorated rather quickly. X rays taken in November showed it to be moderate and as cortisone shots and Physio sessions didn't do anything I was referred. Saw another consultant in November last year, he felt a replacement wouldn't be beneficial and suggested another cortisone and more Physio. The cortisone lasted 2 weeks and Physio had no results. Back to GP yet another referral been told I won't get an appointment for at least 8-10 weeks with a further 6-12 week wait. I'm in so much pain can barely walk. Am trying to push through continuing walking and on a weight loss plan to try and help. Feel so lost at the moment. Sorry for moaning guys.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Freestork, look online at hospitals in your area and they will give waiting times for knee ops and also you can read up about surgeons, how many ops they do etc.  You can go quite a way out of your area too, if  you find hospitals that cover your area (like I did).  In the meantime the only thing I found that worked effectively to help the arthritis is flexiseq.  You have to use it twice a day for a couple of days to start feeling the effect, then if you use it for a few days, the effect lasts for a few days if you stop using it.  It's not very cheap, but I was desperate enough to buy it and have had to buy it about 10 times or so over a long period.  I hope you can get the help you need!

• Posted

Hello, this is purely my opinion.  I had a new knee in December and although it is a tough journey afterwards, I am in less pain now but there is still a long way to go for a complete recovery.   I was lucky to find this discussion and moreover Chico's honest comments and advice.  I was given very little information about the surgery or what to expect afterwards.  It is not an easy one but if you are suffering serious pain, I would recommend the replacement.  I wish I had been more prepared for the recovery process but if you read what everyone posts here, you will have a better understanding of what to expect.  Lots of good wishes, x

• Posted

Lynda I so agree with you. No one tells you about the long hard recovery. I too was helped along by the posts and info on this site. I'm 9 weeks post bilateral TKR and slowly but surely I'm getting better.

• Posted

Free stork, moan all you want! So sorry you have to wait so long for your eventual surgery. But, you're so smart making the most of that time with walking, etc. That can only help you in the end. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks Eizie, the appointment I'm waiting for is only an initial consultation would think tkr will be a long way off if that what they decide to do x

• Posted

Been there.  Two scopes on each knee.  Then I got Synvisc shots that lasted almost a year per set. Kept me away from a replacement.  But last January, I saw the doc and he said it was time...that got me to the TKR.  It's the last resort when nothing else can make a difference.  Synvisc might work for you or not...try it.  Else, it's TKR-time...

• Posted

Hi, I know how you feel. I have been to numerous doctors and none of them agree. What do u do? My GP thinks I should just live with the pain. That everything has been done. I disagreed. I have to fight to get the care I deserve as u need to.

Where does a person go when a GP says u have to live with the pain?

I wish one doctor that says that should have to live with the pain for a month. I think they would change their mind.

Thank you for listening. Thank God for a terrific husband.

A person should not have to do this alone.

• Posted

This is totally crazy!!! My God, you're in pain! What are you going to do? How many days or weeks are you post op?? Your surgeon can't prescribe something else for you? We are all here for you but unfortunately we can't prescribe medicine for you!

• Posted

Thank you Mary, I sooo feel the same. My GP is pushing for me but my problem lies with the hospital at the moment. I have no idea what they will say this time around when I do eventually get an appointment. I may have to consider going private for at least an initial consultation and then take it from there.
    • Posted

When a GP says live with the pain you go to a a different GP!  My GP's were the opposite and until I agreed it was time for the TKR's (both knees) they kept wanting to pump me full of painkillers but all I'd take was paracetamol at night.  It didn't work that well but I didn't want to be dosed up with the more serious stuff and I struggled on, but as soon as I went and said 'the time has come' they referred me like a shot.  But it's not acceptable to be getting pain like that and not offering some sort of remedy to it.  Yes, our husbands are the heroes!   My husband has been doing the vacuuming and stuff like that for so many years because I couldn't, because of knees.  I'm actually looking forward to doing it when the other knee is done!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.