Leg & foot swelling still severe.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Leg and foot still so painful especially when I try to walk. Still really badly swollen. Hip replacement was 2 weeks tomorrow so. I know it is early days but foot and ankle exercises impossible to do due to the pain, and this really worries me.

Wound healing taking time due to skin being stretched so much!

I was aware swelling might occur, but never expected such severe tightness and pain when walking. cant wait for this to ease off, as it is affecting eveything I do including trying to sleep reasonably comfortably.

Apologies for another rant on the same subject.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i was also really worried about the severe swelling and bruising after my operation which lasted for weeks. i ended up phoning the hospital on two occasions as I was so worried about risk of thrombosis. i think it's something that is experienced regularly. Time was the cure, but when you're worried always check with the hospital if only to reassure you.

• Posted

Thank you Yvonne......all my friends/relatives having had the same operation,were all lucky and any swelling was gone quite quickly.... back to that word patience again !!!

• Posted

Maybe lie on your bed with a pillow under your leg to raise it. Keep trying little movements when you can. It may take time to improve.

Hope you are feeling better soon

• Posted

Thank you Andrew, yes my leg is elevated most of the time, not easy sleeping like that, but doing it never the less.

• Posted

hi helen . sorry you're struggling. make sure you take maximum pain killers you can so you can walk abt even if it's just in the house. I'm just over 4 weeks and think the combination of walking and elevation- didn't ice as not got a freezer atm - but that helps as well. I was still at the point your at taking codeine 60mg paracetamol 2 tabs and ibuprofen 400mg 4 x a day and I'm sure that helped loads x good luck. all I'll say is it will settle

• Posted

Helen - contact your surgeon and let him know what's going on. Best of luck . . .

Georgette

• Posted

Hi, they say if swelling occurs you should see your doctor, i had a double hip replacement, its was 8 weeks ago, but i was walking on crutches with no pain after 2 weeks, and i was told should it start to swell , see your doctor or contact the hospital straight away

• Posted

Surprised by this, Geoffrey, as I was warned by the hospital to expect swelling of my leg and feet. i only became worried when it went on for more than two weeks, but the hospital reassured me that it can take a long time. i don't think my ankles were back to normal until 5 weeks later.

• Posted

Thank you Geoffrey, it started in the Hospital and the Surgeon told me to maybe expect it prior to the operation !This is not a sudden swelling you would associate with DVT, but appreciate your comments. 😃

• Posted

Hi Yvonne,

Yes I have known many people who were all warned of the same. Hardly surprising really when you are aware of what has happened to you !! 😃

• Posted

My surgeries were back in 2017, both hips. The swelling was very bad and I got cellulitis as a result. I still have some swelling and have to use support stockings to keep the swelling down. This is not a cure, but helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.