Leg spasm

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi folks here again . 3 weeks post op left hip replacement and I can't sleep for leg spasm any suggestion for relief 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking magnesium? That might help. I used a hot water bottle and rubbed traumeel on my legs.
  • Posted

Loads of pillows under back long ways un def hip and thighs hubby took to spare room for a little while never could sleep on my back at best of time.

Good luck it helped me sl3ep a bit better than before anyway.

• Posted

I sympathise with you. I get "restless legs" on a regular basis. Even before my surgery. I even got it just before my surgery and they had to sedate me along side the spinal. I will be keeping a close eye on your replies as so far I have found nothing that works for me. Fingers crossed for us both. xx

• Posted

Hi Jean

​Magnesium Citrate about an hour before bedtime works wonders for my restless jumpy legs. and helps with the sleeping.  The cheaper magnesium oxide doesnt work for me but the citrate does. always had a tendency to it but got worse immediately after op. magnesium is a muscle relaxant. My husband whos legs jerk whilesleeping, though he is never aware of it, doesnt do it when he takes magnesium, so not just me and the placebo effect. Saltspringer beat me to the suggestion too.  works a treat for me. or as richard says if it crampy too Quinine.

take care.

• Posted

I have an occasional problem with what I call twitchy legs so your suggestion is very welcome info.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I take Magnesium it helps a bit, as for the restless legs somebody mentions, I have suffered from those "stupid" legs for years and of course in the time leading up to my RTHR 8 weeks ago  it become worse. I worked in Neurology years ago and was recommended Gamapentin (neurontin) 400 mg 1/2 hour before bedtime, it works trust me. I had a stretch of 4-5 years when I took it all the time, but stopped, as it is not a medication you want to be on all the time. I started it again about 1 year ago as my legs became crazy again and I am taking it still, but will probably stop in a few month. So I recommend Magnesium and Gamapentin, good luck it awful when you can't sleep. BTW I am doing quite well after my surgery, now 8 weeks post op and off nearly pain killers, still walking with my cane in the house and a walker if I want to take the doggy for a walk.

• Posted

Magnesium, tonic water pillows under lower legs / knees!! Pretty well the same as everyone else!! Seems to be a problem that no one warns you about. Good job we have this forum xx

All the best

Chris

• Posted

So true Christine wouldn't have a clue without this forum. I was taking magnesium before the op maybe I will get some tomorrow.

• Posted

That true this forum is so great i wouldn't go trough without this forum.

Hug Madla. 💗100 procent agree with you

• Posted

Hi Jean i ocesionely have spasms in my leg. I got some tablets to take one before I go to bed . Its help . Im nearly 10 months after hip

replecmant. The tablets helping . I hope you will get bbetter soon , spasm

Stop.

Hug Madla💗

• Posted

Thanks guys for all your advice will be to try some of your tips as I was up all night again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.